Why become a member? ×

Out of the closet

Heathy

I have an old Yamaha BB1100s that I bought in 1986, which has been in it's case for about 15 years. I had the frets taken out in the early 90s, and soon realised that I was no Jaco!

Anyway I have now decided to sell it. It still plays well and is still in tune(!), but some of the chrome hardware has lost its shine.

Can this be restored (if so what products do you recommend), or has the shine gone for good?

Also, are there any other maintenance tips you could pass on before I put this on e-bay?

Cheers (and apologies to those of you who thought this thread was going to be about something else)

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='882383' date='Jun 30 2010, 08:29 PM']You used to be able to get stuff from Halfords for polishing car bumpers ( chrome ones) called Autosol? or am I thinking of anusol?
PS I 've just checked with google, it is Autosol it's £5.99[/quote]

I'll be especially careful that I don't get the two confused. Many thanks

Pictures?

I have a feeling these are well respected basses so you may want to consider having it fretted again instead of selling..

I don't know that model specifically but most basses are finished with paint that can be polished like car paint so take all the bits off and get out your t-cut then finish off with nice polymer pilish such as MER or AutoGlym.
Aged and pitted chrome bits may respond to Solvol Autosol butmay juts looks cool aged....

I'd go to Halfords - but buy T-Cut rather than Solvol - it will gloss your paint like new as well as shine the chrome & alloy.

Nick some cotton wool makeup pads from your wife/girlfriend/mum/ladyboyfriend to use as applicators.

Jon.

I'm sure someone suggested immersion in coca-cola as a way of restoring pitted chrome-plated parts.

Probabaly turns into Iron-bru! :)

I just use autosol on my ol' motorbike, and Glynn's super resin (car) polish on paintwork - on painted basses too.

Edited by Shaggy

I recently restored a drumkit to almost new using aluminium foil and mr sheen.

If you wet some aluminium foil and rub it on the chrome parts it will remove most of the corrosion but leave the finish intact. I found it works much quicker than autosol, but the shine isn't quite as good. I would think that using aluminium on the corrosion, then buffing with autosol before finishing with t-cut would give you as close to new looking as you're gonna get.

I wouldn't recommend using a car wax polish on an instrument - unless you're playing some interestingly hostile outdoor gigs, you really don't need to apply a layer of gloop to protect the finish!

Something like T-Cut is a very mild abrasive and works by polishing the actual finish, which is ideal for the thick poly lacquer on most modern instruments. It'll also take out light scratches and restore the gloss to scuffed & play-worn bits. Works on scratchplates & plastic parts too.

Very interested in the aluminium foil technique - I'll give this a go later on. :)

J.

Finally - Here's a picture:

[attachment=53349:yamaha_bass.JPG]

It has had the following modifications: OBL pickups, pickup selector replaced with pan switch, schaller bridge, brass and bone nut, hipshot d-tuner, and a de-fret.