Why become a member? ×

Anyone have an Aguilar AG500SC - opinions/advice?

sPiKi

Looking to replace my Ampeg SVT200T and have read great things about Ag gear. Was looking at the AG500SC to go with my Ampeg 410 HLF cab and Amer Std Jazz. Any basschatters have one of these & what do you think of it? I want something that gives me a big clean sound, rather than grit or dirt, for classic & modern rock stuff like KoL, Killers, Green Day etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sPiKi

Thanks for the replies. Both are very encouraging. I love Justin Meldal-Johnson's sounds with NIN (if you have seen their recent live DVD you'll know what I mea).Unfortunately nowhere does them here in N Ireland but gonna ring a couple of dealers & see what they can do them for on appro basis.

Hey,

I am thinking along the same lines. I currently use an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro and an 8x10 but I need to sell up as I'm moving to London.

I went to the gallery and am now torn between the Aguilar AG500sc and a Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II.

I'm primarily into rock music but I intend to play a wide range of covers. Personally I preferred the Aguilar but I was worried about how it would cope/sound in a rock band.

Glad to hear it works in that setting!

If I ever need more dirt I do have a couple of Sansamps.

Ed

[quote name='Kaiu' post='882005' date='Jun 30 2010, 02:58 PM']Hey,

I am thinking along the same lines. I currently use an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro and an 8x10 but I need to sell up as I'm moving to London.

I went to the gallery and am now torn between the Aguilar AG500sc and a Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II.

I'm primarily into rock music but I intend to play a wide range of covers. Personally I preferred the Aguilar but I was worried about how it would cope/sound in a rock band.

Glad to hear it works in that setting!

If I ever need more dirt I do have a couple of Sansamps.

Ed[/quote]

I was going to use my VT pedal for any drive that I need & that's why I had opted against the dual channel Aggie. Been using my mate's Ampeg V4BH at the last couple of gigs with the VT & sounds great - unfortunately he's not selling! BTW, what is Aguilar's normal market? Is it not normally rock?

I would have put Aguilar in the studio users market myself...but that would be a long time ago.
They are a completely different company now.

Go to their website and look at the artists page..
I use their cabs and I think they make some of the best around. I'll use them for everything but I am not a metal player by any means.
If I guessed..I would say their niche is aimed at Ampeg, vintage type users from the comsmetic side of things but they do the soul/RnB element as well.

Musicman20 will be along soon..he will deffo know, IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='882054' date='Jun 30 2010, 03:36 PM']I would have put Aguilar in the studio users market myself...but that would be a long time ago.
They are a completely different company now.

Go to their website and look at the artists page..
I use their cabs and I think they make some of the best around. I'll use them for everything but I am not a metal player by any means.
If I guessed..I would say their niche is aimed at Ampeg, vintage type users from the comsmetic side of things but they do the soul/RnB element as well.

Musicman20 will be along soon..he will deffo know, IMO.[/quote] - Lol - pretty new to these boards but I know what you mean!

I do like Ampeg but just want something with more power than my current SVT200T. Good SS amp but just not giving me the poke I need playing live.

Unfortunately ive never tried this amp, although there is one for sale second hand in the for sale section!

Aguilar make, IMO, some of the best cabinets out there. Their amps got rave reviews on talkbass and on here, so I need to try one at some point.

If their amps are like their cabinets, they must be great :)

Great demo here on a setup thats actually for sale in the for sale section (I think its the same amp!)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKjM4kTL3k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKjM4kTL3k[/url]

I wasn't overly impressed with the AG500SC that I owned. It was ok, but I went back to my trusty Ashdowns without a second thought (don't believe everything you hear about them!), although I'm considering moving one of my Ashdowns on for something more lightweight (Markbass LMII/III, Orange BT500 or Ibanez Promethean). Will always have one about though.

I agree that Aggie make great cabs. My GS112 is a fantastic cab!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='882576' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:16 PM']I wasn't overly impressed with the AG500SC that I owned. It was ok, but I went back to my trusty Ashdowns without a second thought (don't believe everything you hear about them!), although I'm considering moving one of my Ashdowns on for something more lightweight (Markbass LMII/III, Orange BT500 or Ibanez Promethean). Will always have one about though.

I agree that Aggie make great cabs. My GS112 is a fantastic cab![/quote]

Bigwan - coukd you elaborate on why you weren;t ovely impressed with the amp.

I've also been considering the Ampeg SVT 7Pro & the Orange Bass Terror. Ant thoughts/experience on those two?

It had an inherent tone that I just didn't find that appealing, unlike the Ashdown ABM which has the perfect sound for me with EQ flat, pre-shape on, Valve drive 1/2 way, gain and volume to taste. Sold it and bought a Thunderfunk TF550 and didn't gel with it either! So straight back to Ashdown and happy as the proverbial pig... Just wish they were smaller and lighter.

I'd like a micro amp that'll do the Ashdown thing (something that'll fit in my gig-bag pocket - not the little giant stuff though, seems a bit half baked), but don't think such a thing exists - the Orange Terror bass is probably close (doesn't fit in the gig-bag though), as is the Markbass Tube, but I think a markbass little mark/F1/Ibanez promethean + VT pedal is probably the way I'll go eventually.

I've no experience with any of the heads you mentioned I'm afraid - I'm on the wrong side of the Irish Sea, same as you!