Why become a member? ×

New Hartke amp/cab range.

3V17C

[attachment=3846:000020881.jpg]

seems Hartke are bringing out a new range of bass gear - looks quite interesting with the speaker cones being half paper/half aluminium. i like the look of that 1000 watt Kilo bass head too...... hmmmmmmmm...

[url="http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2007/Hartke-HyDrive.html"]new Hartke bass gear[/url]

peace

c

[quote name='dood' post='96577' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:35 AM']Hartke have finally gone NEO.. Have my prayers finally been answered? If these cabs sound as good as the 4.5XL, I'll be needing to change my trousers.

I LOVED my 4.5's ;o)[/quote]
Me too - those cabs sounded pretty good in terms of their midrange and low end but my 4.5xl at 125lbs was a bugger to carry.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='96579' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:37 AM']Me too - those cabs sounded pretty good in terms of their midrange and low end but my 4.5xl at 125lbs was a bugger to carry.[/quote]

Exactly why I had to sell them and my SVT2.. was just a bit too much for the 4am unload ;o)

I wanted to see if I could get a cheap 4.5XL cab and loading it with Eminence's stock Neo Alu cones.. (CA2010 or something or other!) that look exactly like the usual Hartke ferrite ones. WINISD suggested that they would work well in the cab.. The power rating would have gone up and the weight would have gone down!

I may even try it one day!

[quote name='peted' post='97156' date='Dec 1 2007, 11:35 AM']I'll be looking out for these in stores. There's a promo from Stu Hamm on YouTube
[url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=doDfuaNizuU"]http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=doDfuaNizuU[/url][/quote]

Have you seen the videos on the Hartke MySpace... very entertaining!! lol

[quote name='dood' post='97236' date='Dec 1 2007, 02:52 PM']Have you seen the videos on the Hartke MySpace... very entertaining!! lol[/quote]

Wasn't Stu Hamm in that ole TV series Roseanne? lol lol lol

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='97452' date='Dec 1 2007, 10:57 PM']Paper centres with aluminium outers??? How's that gonna work when you're wobbling 41Hz though them, need some pretty darn good glue in my opinion. I have Hartke 410XL and it's very good, if it ain't broke...

Richard[/quote]

In fairness, most moving coil loudspeaker drivers of the types that we'd be using feature pretty darn good adhesives in their construction anyway...

Primarily, where the cone (H) joins the surround (G) and where the said surround is bonded to the chassis (I)
Also, where the cone is bonded to the voice coil / former assembly (D), to which the "Spider" (F) is also attached. The Spider is also glued to the chassis.
Finally, dust caps are often bonded on.

I reckon if you looked at the stats, more drivers would be found to fail due to being abused by clippng amps / being driven beyond their thermal and electrical limits. That, or physical damage such as torn surrounds and damaged cones.

I don't think you'd come unstuck with the Hartkes...!

(That's a Peerless XLS 830500 driver, BTW)

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='dood' post='97236' date='Dec 1 2007, 02:52 PM']Have you seen the videos on the Hartke MySpace... very entertaining!! lol[/quote]
I have been watching them, entertaining indeed. I like the way that you can find stuff out about new Hartke products on their Myspace before the information hits their official Hartke.com site. Now that's 'down with the kids' :)

[quote name='dood' post='97564' date='Dec 2 2007, 11:53 AM']Yeh the ole Hartke site has always been a bit slow!

Anyone found a price list for these babies yet?[/quote]
The only price anywhere on the 'net seems to be [url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HyDriveHX810/"]this place (HyDrive 8x10")[/url]

They don't even have pictures of the gear, which makes me very dubious. They reckon the list price is $1300, but they're selling at 3 Cents shy of $1000. Straight USD to GBP conversion of the list price makes them £630, but i'm sure we'll get taxed for living on the wrong side of the Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...

Well spotted Pete. I was havin a brief dicussion with Larry earlier in the week. He said there will be some more info to come. I have asked if its possible to know when the gear is hitting the shores over here. Hopefully he will get back to me with an answer.

[quote name='dood' post='105117' date='Dec 16 2007, 11:24 PM']Well spotted Pete. I was havin a brief dicussion with Larry earlier in the week. He said there will be some more info to come. I have asked if its possible to know when the gear is hitting the shores over here. Hopefully he will get back to me with an answer.[/quote]
Did you call his cell phone number thats in the adverts?

Never took the old Hartke gear seriously. It was way too heavy and frankly lightweight in terms of power.

It's his cell phone number alright! ;o) Also speak to him on MySpace too. Though as you can imagine he gets sh*t loads of messages everyday.

I was originally drawn to Hartke cos.. yes I admit it.. they looked pretty! lol..

But I was very lucky at the time to try out pretty much the whole Hartke range Vs Trace / Ashdown /Ampeg / SWR, back in the days when the Bass Centre had a stock of everything! Hartke quite literally blew the competition away when it came to the sound that *I* want.

John, I have to agree though.. when it comes to weight; doing my back in a couple of years ago put me off anything even remotely uncomfy to lift. - Don't think my back will ever full recover. If these new cabs sound as good as the 4.5XL.. well.. I'd love to get the opportunity to find out!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the UK distributor for Hartke have acknowledged the existence of the new range. Hopefully UK prices will follow in the next few weeks *huge grin* :)

[url="http://www.soundtech.co.uk/hartke"]http://www.soundtech.co.uk/hartke[/url]

I'll be keeping a close eye on this - ive recently sold my Hartke 410xl as it is just too damn heavy, but sound wise it is top class (Mr Tinman is the new owner, pairing it up with another 410XL to create an all conquering demolition rig).

Im off down to the bass gallery tomorrow to try out an Epifani UL310 cab, but this may prove to be an interim purchase as If Hartke release a 4x10 cab that weighs sod all, ill be very keen to try one - if its even as half as good as the XL range ill sell my mother to get one.

[quote name='dood' post='113326' date='Jan 4 2008, 01:39 AM']I will reply with just a simple +1 mate.. but you know what I'm thinkin!!!![/quote]

I use a hartke kickback 120 for practice - also works quite well as a stage monitor.
Doesn't go deep enough for my liking, but I've never heard the bigger cabs - could be interesting.