Why become a member? ×

One Zoom B2 to rule them all...

DaveMuadDib

I recently bought a Zoom B2 mini-multieffects to replace the only pedals that I ever used, which are (mostly BOSS): Chorus, Noise Suppressor, Drive, Compressor and Tuner. It does the job absolutely crackingly to my ears, and using a clever system of Clean/Drive/Chorus/Clean/Drive/Chorus...etc I'm always one button press away from my desired effect. Beats having to worry about powersupplies and lumbering around a big pedal board - it fits neatly in the pocket of the backpack that I carry my Little Mark II around in :-D It's also perfect for practice, thanks to the built in headphone support and drum machine. Perfect!

My question is - has anyone else had such a similar success story with one of these things? Or does anyone loathe such pedals, or have any valid reason as to why I shouldn't be doing this? Right now, I really can't justify going back!

I think that they are a cracking little unit.

There was a thread on here a couple of days ago, where concern was voiced about lag, when changing patches, and some-one mentioned he had had problems with the switches, that he had to replace, but on the whole, the general consensus is that they are pretty good.

If you want to experiment have a look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=82984&hl=zoom+patches"]here[/url]

for the other thread I mentioned look [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=91360"]here[/url]

Anyway - have fun with your purchase

Edited by arsenic

I've got one - and think its been excellent value for money - and the drum patterns suprisingly good for jamming at home.I haven't had much joy out of the amp sims (but I'm having a tone crisis anyway) but its great for chorus etc. I bought the guitar version too for making my 6-string efforts sound less crap :-)

I've got one and I think it's effing brilliant for my needs. I've found the compressor to be noisy so I avoid it. My normal 'clean' sound is actually one of the valve amp simulators set to a very low gain level and I use that setting on most songs. The muter tuner is priceless for live gigs where we swap from D tuning to Drop C tuning regularly.

I think if you dont use effects much or have few needs for them, this is a useful little unit.

I bought mine essentially as an entry to effects pedals, and from there I learnt what I could do with them and the types of sounds I liked and wanted. I started picking up single pedals one by one as I wanted something better quality to my ears, and something that suited my sound with more switching and combination options. Now ive ended up a bit of an effects junkie and ive got way too many, but the Zoom was definitely useful when starting off.

I use mine in conjunction with lots of other pedals. I have 3 main reasons I bought it, and it might seem a bit overkill, but..

1. A general overdrive patch which I can switch instantly from to..

2. A digital delay + pedal wah patch (which would take a wah, delay, and TB loop to do)

3. and a Phaser/OD patch with the EXP pedal controlling the rate (which would take a phaser and one of those weird EXP pedal sucker thingies).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sk8' post='881587' date='Jun 30 2010, 08:12 AM']ordered a B2.1u yesterday so can't wait to start playing[/quote]

I found I was lugging a pedal board around just to house a Tuner/Compressor/Limiter and Power Brick, as generally I am not big on effects BUT, I bought a Zoom B2.1U to replace the individual pedals and have found some of the effects really good.
The Drum patterns are fantastic and as a result I have sold my Practice amp as well. No need anymore just a set of headphones.
Great value and love that it is so compact.

[quote name='BassBunny' post='881767' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:42 AM']I found I was lugging a pedal board around just to house a Tuner/Compressor/Limiter and Power Brick, as generally I am not big on effects BUT, I bought a Zoom B2.1U to replace the individual pedals and have found some of the effects really good.
The Drum patterns are fantastic and as a result I have sold my Practice amp as well. No need anymore just a set of headphones.
Great value and love that it is so compact.[/quote]

oooo you shouldnt have said that. when i buy mine im going to be tempted to get rid of my microcube rx, but i really do love the little thing

...decisions....decisions

It arrived to day (top shout out to Music Street) and i have to say i'm genuinely blown away by this little thing. Admittedly this opinion is only formed on some noodling through the presets and a quick tweak using headphones but it has the potential to be the only pedal i need as long as i can get the presets right and in a god order :)

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='873452' date='Jun 21 2010, 01:28 PM']I've got one and I think it's effing brilliant for my needs.[b] I've found the compressor to be noisy so I avoid it[/b]. My normal 'clean' sound is actually one of the valve amp simulators set to a very low gain level and I use that setting on most songs. The muter tuner is priceless for live gigs where we swap from D tuning to Drop C tuning regularly.[/quote]

I found exactly the same. It's the only thing that annoys me.
[quote name='BassBunny' post='881767' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:42 AM']The Drum patterns are fantastic and as a result I have sold my Practice amp as well. No need anymore just a set of headphones.
Great value and love that it is so compact.[/quote]

I'm thinking of getting rid of my practice amp for the same reason. I don't really use it because on the rare occasions when I practice the kids are in bed so I have to use headphones whatever. And the Zoom is just it for practice especially with the drum patterns.

Overall I'm really chuffed with mine.

[quote name='dumelow' post='883797' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:59 AM']Am I right in thinking that you can connect to your computer/laptop with the usb cable, and without having to use cubase, just play through your pc speakers?[/quote]
Yes. I've used mine as an interface a couple of times but always used Garageband on my Mac, as it's got loads of drum patterns to practice with. I think I may have a fault somewhere though as I get a buzzing noise and feedback warnings repeatedly.
I've never used cubase because I haven't the faintest idea how it works, to say it's a complete mystery would be an understatement.