Why become a member? ×

Which extension cab to add to my Ashdown ABM C210T Combo?

sussexbassman

I have an Ashdown ABM C210T 500 combo which is great for pubs and small clubs.

I want to add an extension cab to the combo for larger clubs and small outside garden party gigs. I'm trying to decide whether to get a 1x15" or 2x10". Adding a 115 would seem to give a more "full range" sound, but the 210 should give me the same sound I currently have but just more of it.

I like a warm, creamy (but not muddy) sound with good definition and clarity to cut through against the guitar and keyboard.

Anybody have any suggestions or advice on which way to jump - 210 or 115?

I bought an Ashdown ABM 1x15" off of 'Beneath It All' 'round these parts, which is a touch taller than a lot of 1x15"s: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84778&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84778&hl=[/url]

It might not seem like it'll make a difference, but getting your 'preferred sound' from your 2x10" up closer to your ear level and shoving some more 'proper' bottom end at your punters through your legs (so to speak) sounds like the ideal solution to me...not selling mine, btw, actually looking for a 2x10" to go with it!

On balance, I'd probably go for the 115. Run seperately, the ABM 10s sound better (to me) than the 15s. But they do sound really good together - I guess they're designed for mix n match. It might be quite a noticable difference to your sound tho - so be prepared for that :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='862978' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:52 AM']I'd go for the extra punch and clarity of another 210. Ashdown 115's sound too woolly to me.[/quote]

agree, .......... on the basis that most 15's sound too woolly for me but definitely the way I would go here.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='862892' date='Jun 10 2010, 08:40 AM']I'm looking at an ABM 1x15 in good condition that you can have for £60.00 if you like

T[/quote]

Any chance of a picture of this? 2x15"s would be total overkill for me, but I like the idea...:)

[quote name='sussexbassman' post='863188' date='Jun 10 2010, 12:52 PM']Thanks for all the inputs so far guys - currently 4 : 3 in favour of the 115.

I think this highlights my dilemna! Still not sure which one to get. :)

If it helps, I mainly play pop / rock / soul covers.

Any other views would be very welcome .......[/quote]

I think that if youre happy with the sound you have but just need to move a bit more air go for the 210, if you want a bit more booty then the 1x15, its personal preference really and you have to decide what it is you need...

[quote name='phatbass787' post='863212' date='Jun 10 2010, 01:18 PM']I think that if youre happy with the sound you have but just need to move a bit more air go for the 210, if you want a bit more booty then the 1x15, its personal preference really and you have to decide what it is you need...[/quote]

Yeah I understand that in the end its a personal decision, but I value the views of other experienced players.....

In the past I've mainly used a Peavey Mark iii 15" Black Widow combo which was always a bit on the muddy/boomy side and at 130w struggled for volume in larger venues. I then invested in a Peavey Max 700 rig with a 210 plus 115 BW expecting it to give the full range sound. It was obviously very loud (too loud really for my gigs), but could never get a warm, creamy but well defined tone out of it - still seemed boomy and/or 'toppy' depending on EQ.

So that's why I moved to a fairly meaty 2x10 combo - haven't had it long enough to say I'm 100% happy with the sound, but I'm very close to the sound I want after a session in the back garden and don't want to get muddy/boomy again!

Maybe I'm talking my way towards the 210 extention option .....?

i would go for a 1x15 compact.i use one with a neo 2x10 cab and sounds very good.you can pick one up for just over £100 s/h,well worth the money.the uk made ones are 335mm deep where as newer ones are 420mm i think.incase you want to keep it the same as your combo.

Thanks again everyone for your words of wisdom. I've made my decision .... I'm going for a 1 x 15" compact (already on order)

During my procrastinations, I was a little surprised to read the minimum frequency response of the various Ashdown cabs:

2x10 compact - 75Hz
1x15 compact - 41Hz
1x15 standard - 37Hz

This implies that the 210 won't be good below the D string! and even the 115 standard wouldn't handle a low B ....?

Any thoughts on this??