Why become a member? ×

Where do old basses go to die?

northstreet

What do you do with a bass once you've decided to part with it? Me, I'll sell it if it's worth anything, if not I'll donate it to a school or youth club - but I've never thrown one away. I can't imagine anyone else would, either. So, given that say Fender alone having been making making thousands of basses a year for the last 30+ years, where are they all? Is there a special place, like the elephant's graveyard, where old basses go once they've have reached the end of their useful life?

[quote name='northstreet' post='859370' date='Jun 6 2010, 09:51 PM']What do you do with a bass once you've decided to part with it? Me, I'll sell it if it's worth anything, if not I'll donate it to a school or youth club - but I've never thrown one away. I can't imagine anyone else would, either. So, given that say Fender alone having been making making thousands of basses a year for the last 30+ years, where are they all? Is there a special place, like the elephant's graveyard, where old basses go once they've have reached the end of their useful life?[/quote]
I think most of the Fenders traypse over to Germany where they are stripped of the useful organs,,rebuilt and offered on E Bay???

This is something I always wonder....how many beat up 1960's fenders are just laying on a rubbish tip! My uncle is a binman he has found loads of cool instruments that have just been chucked, many with minor faults. He gave me a box of g7th capos that someone had chucked! there was about £120 worth!

They do'nt die,they become highly desireable,superior,fantastic quality collectable,vintage instruments..............witness the price of 70's Fenders.:)

more un-nerving than that..............................how come every vintage fender is not complete with locking trem/locking nut/humbuckers ? there were tons of them in the 80's,where are THEY now ?

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

I would keep every guitar/bass I own, fill a room with them. Sort of like a playable wallpaper. I would also love to be on the receiving end of one of those stories where someone gives away a vintage bass you always hear about.

[quote name='Stacker' post='859793' date='Jun 7 2010, 01:01 PM']They all go to Music-Outlet-Shop in Germany, as some above have correctly surmised. A lot of Frankenbasses turn up there; I dunno how the guy has the nerve to sell them![/quote]

Who gives or sells them to these people and how can we step into the market for them?