Why become a member? ×

Halford's Special Re-finish

Spoombung

[quote name='bumnote' post='873047' date='Jun 20 2010, 10:10 PM']im a bit confused,
have you used a primer before you use the blue?[/quote]

I haven't bought anything called a 'primer'. I've got Acrylic sealing sander on a piece of wood and I'm testing the blue paint on top of that to see how it takes.

Okay I bought Halfords grey primer so that went on top on the wood sealer (it was very soft - no photos of that).

So here is the first coat of Halfords Blue and white in a crude attempt at a burst:

Here you can see paint drips:

Now, according to the can, I have to wait at least 2 weeks before I do anything else with it

[quote name='bumnote' post='880258' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:17 PM']Make sure the paint is hard/dry. You can get rid of the imperfections with fine wet and dry

Think that could look rather nice[/quote]

Yeah, I think it'll be alright-ish! :)

Is 'wet and dry' dipping the sandpaper in water?

No its not dipping it, you should soak it and use a little soap as a lubricant.

[url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/kitpaint.html"]http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/kitpaint.html[/url]

Really good article with photos here, and I found it easier to spray with the body horizontal as per his photos.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='880267' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:20 PM']Yeah, I think it'll be alright-ish! :)

Is 'wet and dry' dipping the sandpaper in water?[/quote]

It is specifically called wet and dry paper, but yes you use it wet :rolleyes:

Don't let it get clogged up with paint when sanding or it will get too rough and take too much off.

[quote name='TheRev' post='880422' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:08 PM']That's an interesting shape - what was it before?[/quote]

It was roughly that sort of shape before but I dug in with the rasp and took loads of wood away - so the horns are very narrow now and the there's a lot taken away from the back. I used the Ibanez SR300 as a rough guide.

• 1 month later...

It's quite a transformation both visually and ergonomically: it weighs a lot less now and tucks into the body nicely. Sounds great, too. Only one mistake: a slip of the soldering iron around the back plate - but I can't be bothered to re-do it! Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='bumnote' post='920088' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:26 PM']that looks great
like the blue going into the white[/quote]

Thanks. I used your advice and had more success spraying with the body flat on a bench rather than suspended upright. Many thanks for that :)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='923879' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:52 PM']Yes, I did. I stayed 'brand loyal' and used a whole can of Halford's ordinary lacquer on the paint.[/quote]

Ah thanks,
Dumb question, but did you have a good way of avoiding/dealing with dust in the clearcoats? Without a proper workshop to do this in I'm having trouble despite trying to keep the spray area tidy and clear.