Why become a member? ×

Opinions on Fender Jap 70RI Precision or MIA Standard Precision

Linus27

The CIJ 70s turn up on ebay all the time. Don't know if I'm allowed to link to ebay, so you'll have to search for yourself. :)

Right now there is one for sale (secondhand) for $505 (=£350) + shipping. I've seen them cheaper as well.

But don't forget if importing from Japan (or US or non-EU) import duties/fees add another c.20% to the total - happened to me with Sid when I was a bit green about these things and I ended up with a disappointing customs charge!

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='P-punk' post='854952' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:56 PM']The CIJ 70s turn up on ebay all the time. Don't know if I'm allowed to link to ebay, so you'll have to search for yourself. :)

Right now there is one for sale (secondhand) for $505 (=£350) + shipping. I've seen them cheaper as well.[/quote]

Is that in olympic white and UK based or in Japan?

[quote name='Clarky' post='854956' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:59 PM']But don't forget if importing from Japan (or US or non-EU) import duties/fees add another c.20% to the total - happened to me with Sid when I was a bit green about these things and I ended up with a disappointing customs charge![/quote]

I must admit, I am a little worried about ordering from Japan via Ebay. There is one on there being sold by some Japanese company that I have not heard off. Not sure its worth the risk or not.

[quote name='Linus27' post='854972' date='Jun 2 2010, 03:10 PM']I must admit, I am a little worried about ordering from Japan via Ebay. There is one on there being sold by some Japanese company that I have not heard off. Not sure its worth the risk or not.[/quote]
I got Sid from a Japanese eBayer called something like Lenoirvinyles. Arrived with the neck taken off, which scared me at the time (never at that point ever having taken a bass apart), but turned out to be a great bass. When I imported a Sid-alike from Ishibashi, came very securely packed in cardoboard and polystyrene. As long as you factor in the import costs, not a big risk in my view

[quote name='Raggy' post='854996' date='Jun 2 2010, 03:42 PM']Seen this

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb4.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb4.htm[/url]

Its a beauty :)[/quote]
Good spot! Thats really nice and obviously owned by someone with OCD (protective film and sticker still on, despite being a 3-4 year old bass!)

Price is a bit toppy TBH but - against this - it is virtually as-new and most examples I have seen are (like Sid) reasonably dinged

[quote name='Raggy' post='854996' date='Jun 2 2010, 03:42 PM']Seen this

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb4.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb4.htm[/url]

Its a beauty :)[/quote]

Would you says this was worth going for over a MIA model which would be about another £75???

For £75 differential I would choose MIA any day due to better construction/hardware, easier truss rod adjustment, and hard case.

But its partly a function of availability - now that OHM and Musicman 20's MIA basses have sold, I haven't seen another around for £650. With patience, though, another will likely come up

Ultimately your call mate!

Edit: £575 does not include p&p, so consider this nearer £600 all-in

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='855026' date='Jun 2 2010, 04:09 PM']For £75 differential I would choose MIA any day due to better construction/hardware, easier truss rod adjustment, and hard case.

But its partly a function of availability - now that OHM and Musicman 20's MIA basses have sold, I haven't seen another around for £650. With patience, though, another will likely come up

Ultimately your call mate!

Edit: £575 does not include p&p, so consider this nearer £600 all-in[/quote]

Yeah the price is putting me to be honest. If it was £500 then I would go for it but £575 is quite steep considering they go for around £400 - £450 on here. Then like you say £650 for an MIA one. I think patience is needed.

[quote name='Linus27' post='855043' date='Jun 2 2010, 04:17 PM']Yeah the price is putting me to be honest. If it was £500 then I would go for it but £575 is quite steep considering they go for around £400 - £450 on here. Then like you say £650 for an MIA one. I think patience is needed.[/quote]

I think £600 is WAY off the price it should be. You can find them for much better prices than that.

You should be able to get a good MIA 08-10 in White for £650; perhaps a tiny bit more for a total minter if its barely been used. Depends on how much they want to sell it. Probably around £25 more for a sunburst.

The P from Far East is quite a lot of dough for a 10years + old bass. It just goes to show how much the prices have gone up. 4 years ago I bougt a CIJ 57 re-issue P with all the chrome on it for £525, brand new from the guitar emporium. Having said that, I have only heard good things about the basses that the guy sells. I know what you mean about the pre 76 ish precision logo. The logo on that re issue is well tasty! But I still think that it`s too expensive.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

Linus, I was cheeky for you and asked on the pricing of that Olympic White P, and he said the price is pretty much firm due to the charges he has to pay.

I doubt you would be able to talk him down much. The thing is, people who do not know the market would probably pay that, but we know otherwise.

If he said £500 all in itd be good, but £600 is too much.

I've been tracking various Jap and USA P basses for a while

I finally brought a CIJ from here for 450 which I was happy with

I am very open to buying a USA P or J bass if I see something I like for the right price, just not seen anything yet

I wouldn't be too worried about buying from an ebay-seller in Japan as long as they have 100% (or close to 100%) positive feedback. The one that's for sale now (BIN price of $505) will cost you about 500 pounds including VAT and P&P. There's another seller (can't remember his name) that regularly has some really nice Fender Japan basses and guitars for sale, that only charges $25 for shipping to Europe. Last week he had a PB70 for sale, that I nearly bought.

But having said that, if you can get an MIA for 650 pounds, I'd rather buy that one. Living in Norway, the MIAs are a lot more, so when I buy basses I import them myself from USA or Japan.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='855158' date='Jun 2 2010, 06:06 PM']Linus, I was cheeky for you and asked on the pricing of that Olympic White P, and he said the price is pretty much firm due to the charges he has to pay.

I doubt you would be able to talk him down much. The thing is, people who do not know the market would probably pay that, but we know otherwise.

If he said £500 all in itd be good, but £600 is too much.[/quote]

Thanks Gareth for doing the donkey work. Like you and otehrs have said, its too expensive and to close to a MIA price.