Why become a member? ×

Check out Purple Chili Cabs

patch006

As title suggests I am the proud owner of a new rig.

Mark Bass F1 head and 2x PCB112NT

I have had the head for a few weeks purchased from a fellow bass-chater and eagerly awaited the delivery of the purple chilis, well they came last week and over the weekend we had some long days in the studio rehearsing.

The sound this rig produces defies belief, it really is that good. Using a jazz deluxe I could get any sound I wanted with monumental amounts of volume/ bass/tone. I knew I would only need the one cab but couldn't resist in taking both. With just the one cab the sound was immense and with the two together well it just takes it to another level.

I have had a few different amps and cabs over the years with trace stacks etc.... but have never had any of the new lighter gear so can not compare with its rivals. But for me for pure looks the chilis win hands down, retro look with great finish and attention to detail. And for the sound well its sounds pretty darn good to me so it is pretty darn good.

You know, GAS is such a terrible thing. I've happily been running my two PC112's with my TC RH450 for about six months now. Happily, that was, until I saw Alex's new Super Twelve on the Barefaced website, which I have now convinced myself is the ideal one cab solution (why - when the whole point of getting my modular PC rig is that it is both a one and a two cab solution?!). So, Shambo has jumped in to relieve me of the first cab and I'm now getting nervous about letting the second go (hence I haven't posted it for sale yet)! But the order for the Super Twelve has been placed so I think I'm going to end up moving on cabs I was perfectly happy with in every respect just because of bloody GAS! I hope I don't regret it because I can't speak highly enough of the PC cabs. The really are terrific - light, punchy and full-sounding. And great looking too! My hope is that the Super Twelve surpasses them - difficult as that's going to be...

Edited by Bass Culture

They did suprise me with the sound that they can produce, it obviously helps having the F1 which is amazing.

I have just measured them and all the dimensions are wrong, I make it 41cm deep 52cm wide and 51cm high including feet. They are quoted as weighing only 12.7kgs. They need to be seen in the flesh to see the great finish really.

Bass Culture and Chez, can I ask you guys what size venues you have been using your cabs in ? I'm guessing these two should be able to handle most situations do you think?.

[quote name='patch006' post='853980' date='Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM']Bass Culture and Chez, can I ask you guys what size venues you have been using your cabs in ? I'm guessing these two should be able to handle most situations do you think?.[/quote]

Hi Patch,

I've used my pair (well, pair until last night, when I sold one to Shambo!) in small halls and pretty large pubs gigs with no problem at all. I'm playing mostly chart covers but I don't suspect that they'd struggle with any music in those and larger venues though. You might struggle at Wembley but they more than handled the kind of gigs I do.

Mark

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='853369' date='Jun 1 2010, 10:28 AM']I saw Alex's new Super Twelve on the Barefaced website, which I have now convinced myself is the ideal one cab solution[/quote]

Was looking at this also. Would be very interested to know what you make of it.

[quote name='discreet' post='854884' date='Jun 2 2010, 02:24 PM']Was looking at this also. Would be very interested to know what you make of it.[/quote]

I'll post on a new thread once I've got a couple of gigs under my belt with it. Even though I'm really looking forward to it I have to say I was well impressed with my single remaining Purple Chili cab at rehearsal last night! Really nice, tight, punchy sound with a lot of depth too. I can't help thinking that a single PC cab would be ample for most small to medium sized gigs. That said, I'm sure the Super Twelve will be excellent and the idea of only ever having to load one cab for both rehearsals and gigs, as well as the consistency of sound that will give me, is growing on me more and more.

[quote name='MythSte' post='857204' date='Jun 4 2010, 01:33 PM']I still think I'd consider these a whole lot more if they had a better name/logo. I know it shouldn't matter but these things really nag at me.[/quote]

I like it! And the purpleness.

[quote name='discreet' post='857215' date='Jun 4 2010, 01:36 PM']I like it! And the purpleness.[/quote]

It seems something they're pretty set on - and thus I'm really glad they haven't given in to what a cab "should" look like. But in doing so they aren't for everyone. And definitely not for me!

[quote name='MythSte' post='857226' date='Jun 4 2010, 01:49 PM']It seems something they're pretty set on - and thus I'm really glad they haven't given in to what a cab "should" look like.
But in doing so they aren't for everyone. And definitely not for me![/quote]

You would eschew them for their unusual appearance even if they sounded Brobdingnagian?? For shame!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' post='857285' date='Jun 4 2010, 02:24 PM']You would eschew them for their unusual appearance even if they sounded Brobdingnagian?? For shame![/quote]

:)

To be honest, I dont think they could sound amazing enough to make me forget about the looks (That is to say, my playing probably wouldnt do them justice anyway!)

[quote name='patch006' post='853980' date='Jun 1 2010, 07:15 PM']Bass Culture and Chez, can I ask you guys what size venues you have been using your cabs in ? I'm guessing these two should be able to handle most situations do you think?.[/quote]

It's Crez... actually :)

Most of the function gigs I have PA support anyway... Though played at the NEC a couple of weeks back and I was about 20 ft in front of the cabs and they really throw out....
I'm looking forward to getting the 4 x 10 and am also speaking to mike about a custom cab with angled up 6" drivers..... I'm still working on that at the mo though

[quote name='crez5150' post='857326' date='Jun 4 2010, 03:00 PM']It's Crez... actually :)

Most of the function gigs I have PA support anyway... Though played at the NEC a couple of weeks back and I was about 20 ft in front of the cabs and they really throw out....
I'm looking forward to getting the 4 x 10 and am also speaking to mike about a custom cab with angled up 6" drivers..... I'm still working on that at the mo though[/quote]

Crez,

As a matter of interest where do you hail from in sunny Essex? I myself am a Colchester boy - or was until I moved up to Chester 20-odd years back.

Mark