Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe neck dead-spot?

cameltoe

I gigged my recently aquired Classic Vibe 50's Precision last night. Really good, really impressed, although I did change the pickup and rewire it already :)

However, what I discovered was an amazing drop in volume ONLY on the D, 5th fret A string.

The A string itself was loud enough on all other notes, and all the other strings seemed to be fairly consistent across frets, but this was really noticible!

Considering a lot of our songs are in D, this became a bit of an issue!

Is this what's known as a 'dead spot'? If so, what can I do to try and fix it?

It's still wearing the Stainless strings it had on it when I got it, haven't had time to change over to my preferred nickels yet, but I will do this.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='851141' date='May 29 2010, 02:31 PM']I gigged my recently aquired Classic Vibe 50's Precision last night. Really good, really impressed, although I did change the pickup and rewire it already :)

However, what I discovered was an amazing drop in volume ONLY on the D, 5th fret A string.

The A string itself was loud enough on all other notes, and all the other strings seemed to be fairly consistent across frets, but this was really noticible!

Considering a lot of our songs are in D, this became a bit of an issue!

Is this what's known as a 'dead spot'? If so, what can I do to try and fix it?

It's still wearing the Stainless strings it had on it when I got it, haven't had time to change over to my preferred nickels yet, but I will do this.[/quote]

I have never had that problem with mine the string balance is really good and it still has the oem strings on, and the stock pick up.

Try changing the strings, and if that doesnt work, I alway look at the last change so try changing the pickup back to the original and see if that makes any difference

It's more than likely just to do with how far your amp was from the wall and the size/shape of the room. Wait until your next gig with it before you do anything drastic!

Last night, the 4th and 5th fret of the E string on my T-40 was monstrously loud compared to every other note (the kind of loud where you can feel the air being vibrated in your lungs and nose!).