Why become a member? ×

roadworn v american standard

lowfer

Hi All,

hoping that with in the next couple of weeks i am going to be in the marker for a jazz. I must admit that i ahev been sold on the tone of the roadworn, however, i am now in a little dilema, should i buy the american standard instead.

Can people let me know how these 2 instruments compare, must admit i love the tone of the roadworn, got that agressive nasaly tone that i love but i am still a little unsure on the relicing. The basses are priced very near to each other. Also do you get a hrad case with the roadworn as i know one comes with the american standard.

Any views much apprecited

Nathan

You just gotta have a play and see what you think with your own ears!
From what I gather the roadworns have the 70's pickup placement, ie the rear pickup closer to the bridge, and the American Standards have the 60's placement.

The Roadworns have a thinner finish obviously, which some attribute to a tonal difference.
Buy yeah, you just have to sit down and compare them yourself, preferebly through your own amp, and even more preferably in a gigging enviroment, although this is usually not possible.

Si

+1 on all this. For me though, totally personal, I just don't get the fake worn out look and would buy the other on that basis.

However, I was one of the privileged few at the VW Hartke thing and afterwards Digital Village opened an Aladdin's cave of gear. Dozens of basses, Musicman, Fender US, Mex, Ibanez plus all sorts of others. For me, not necessarily a Fender fan, the stars of the show were a US sunburst Jazz (just played so beautifully and sounded so cool) and a Mex sunburst Precision which sounded fab. Having moved to try the Musicman basses first and only picked up others because they were there, these two stood out (though what a sound you could get from the Bongo HH!) even if they looked nondescript. I wonder how many other people went to a shop to buy a certain bass but, having tried a few more out, came out with something different, even totally different.

There can't be many greater pleasures than trying out basses knowing you're actually going to buy one!

(ps the other oddball star was a fretless Tanglewood Canyon, three other people made special comment of that one)

The nitro finish on the RWs certainly seems to make a tonal difference over those finished in heavy duty poly, and they seem to be considerably lighter too (at least the P basses anyway). One advantage of the relic look is when you inevitably get that first ding, it just doesn't matter :) . RWs come with a Fender gigbag.

Edited by ezbass

American Std obviously, lot more value for money in terms of features present in hardware and construction. Graphite reinforcement in the neck along with rolled finger board edges for starters.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='850472' date='May 28 2010, 05:45 PM']along with rolled finger board edges for starters.[/quote]

RWs have this also.

[quote name='neilb' post='850439' date='May 28 2010, 04:53 PM']The RWs dont have string through bridges,the US Stds do.[/quote]

I've read conflicting evidence on whether this really makes a difference right here on BC. I don't have an opinion either way, I'm just saying.

Ooh I'm starting to sound like an RW evangelist, I'll stop now :)

It's a tough call...

As others have said, the American Standard is a very well equipped bass package with the hardcase, posiflex graphite rods, high mass bridge & they do sound great - You played the one I had when you came here didn't you, Nathan?

The Road Worn is a different kettle of pilchards altogether. The nitro finish really does let the sound ring out & there is something about them. You can get both at around the same price, actually. Most places will do one or the other for £799 if you haggle hard enough.

I tend to think of it like this... The Am.Std is the modern version of the Jazz with all the best refinements. It plays and sounds grown up, mixing the classic J sound with some modern touches, whereas the Road Worn plays and sounds like Jazz basses did in the 60's. That original growly burp is there in abundance. Back off the tone control, play on the back pickup only & you've got Jaco sounds in spades. The scary thing about the Road Worn is that I have no idea how they made it sound so good. There's some voodoo going on there somewhere! I can only assume a lot of it has to do with the nitro finish.

Oh, and btw... The pickup spacing on both is 60's. :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

The Road Worn's are very, very good.

Like the guys have said though, it depends what you want. If you want a bass that feels like you've owned it forever, feels comfy, and just feels right in your hands, go for the road worn.

I ended up getting a road worn precision, after being determined NOT to get one. I hated the fake relicing, I hated they were asking so much for a MIM bass, hated the salmon pink......then I played it.

Knocked the socks off everything I played in the shop and everything I had played that year.

But it does feel like an old bass, in a good way. Like an old comfy pair of jeans.

You just have to try them all and see what you prefer- although I've heard the RW Jazzes are even better than the Precisions.

Hi Rich,

yes indeed i did play the american standard when we met. I also agree with what everyone has said that if you look at the sum of the parts the american has better parts through out, however, its the tone i am after and having listened and played the roadworn, the tone just gives me what i need. Going to go and play as many different jazz basses that i can next week and make a final decision. I do wish that the roadworn had a hard case with it, hey ho

Nathan

I'm with you on the sound, Nathan - After my Road Worn Jazz & 62AV Precision experience, I knew the 50th Anniversary Jazz would be a good one, at least in part due to the nitro finish. It really does make a massive difference to the sound. In fact, I'm quite determined to get another Road Worn quite soon, as I was really silly selling mine. It was amazing!

Happy Road Worn shopping, mate :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I got my local music shop to drop my Road Worn P down from £899 to £699, so if the hardcase is a huge issue get your best haggling boots on!

It is a bit of a cheek to sell an instument for up around the £800 mark and only chuck in a £15 gigbag.

Where can you pick up a Roadworn for £699?! Id be quite tempted by the Fiesta Red Jazz!

PM me if you prefer. I was after another Jazz or Stingray to replace the place the Classic Ray was supposed to take. £699 seems fine to me and I can use the other Fender cases.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='851373' date='May 29 2010, 07:30 PM']Where can you pick up a Roadworn for £699?! Id be quite tempted by the Fiesta Red Jazz!

PM me if you prefer. I was after another Jazz or Stingray to replace the place the Classic Ray was supposed to take. £699 seems fine to me and I can use the other Fender cases.[/quote]

Modern Music in Truro, Cornwall sold it to me for that price.

It was in the shop for a few months at £899, beautifully set up by the owner of the shop. He also had a sunburst one in previously. At first I didn't want the Road Worn- I played it, loved it, and he offered it to me for £799. It was still a bit too much, so I started looking at the Classic 50's series. He got a couple of those in for me to try, I didn't love them as much as I loved the Road Worn, which is when he went away to look at his books and came back to offer it to me for £699.

This place has RW Precisions for £699- by far the cheapest I can find. [url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/2419-road_worn_50s_precision_bass_while_stocks_last"]RW[/url]

But you're after a Jazz, and these seem to be a touch more expensive. Can't find them for under £800

Wonder why that is? Aren't Jazzes and Precisions from the same range usually roughly the same price? Maybe it's all the great reviews the Jazz has been getting pushing up the price.

[quote name='Buzz' post='850834' date='May 29 2010, 12:40 AM']Not according to Fenders spec sheets on their webby.[/quote]

Well they feel pretty very rolled, but it's their product so who knows? They feel nice and lived in whatever they've done to them.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='851811' date='May 30 2010, 01:53 PM']Modern Music in Truro, Cornwall sold it to me for that price.

It was in the shop for a few months at £899, beautifully set up by the owner of the shop. He also had a sunburst one in previously. At first I didn't want the Road Worn- I played it, loved it, and he offered it to me for £799. It was still a bit too much, so I started looking at the Classic 50's series. He got a couple of those in for me to try, I didn't love them as much as I loved the Road Worn, which is when he went away to look at his books and came back to offer it to me for £699.

This place has RW Precisions for £699- by far the cheapest I can find. [url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/2419-road_worn_50s_precision_bass_while_stocks_last"]RW[/url]

But you're after a Jazz, and these seem to be a touch more expensive. Can't find them for under £800

Wonder why that is? Aren't Jazzes and Precisions from the same range usually roughly the same price? Maybe it's all the great reviews the Jazz has been getting pushing up the price.[/quote]

I don't mind paying 750 for the jazz but anything near £800 is a bit over budget!

Thanks for the info I'll look around!

Ok, so Ive tried finding a RW Jazz in Fiesta Red for a decent price, and so far they are far too highly priced. More than the American Standards in some cases. So, Im probably going to give up!

I have found the RW P in Fiesta Red for a great price. Why the massive price difference?!