Why become a member? ×

roadworn v american standard

lowfer

[quote name='Johnston' post='853308' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:30 AM']I was playing a roadworn sunburst P yesterday, was most impressed although 1 thing that worried me and put me off was there was a bit of a gouge/dent in the back of the neck.

Nothing major you could only feel it if you had your thumb almost over the top around seventh fret like it had been set hard against something and slide a bit.. But it was kinda off putting, although everything else made me near change my plans and save up a bit more money.

Now I didn't say anything to the shop guy because I could just here the it's road worn thats meant to be there.

But surely a fake relic should look worn but the neck shouldn't have any real damage like dents and gouges or is this the way the road worns come??[/quote]

No gouges on my P RW neck, just ground in dirt under the nitro, sounds like an in shop ding.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='850717' date='May 28 2010, 10:15 PM']It's a tough call...

As others have said, the American Standard is a very well equipped bass package with the hardcase, posiflex graphite rods, high mass bridge & they do sound great - You played the one I had when you came here didn't you, Nathan?

The Road Worn is a different kettle of pilchards altogether. The nitro finish really does let the sound ring out & there is something about them. You can get both at around the same price, actually. Most places will do one or the other for £799 if you haggle hard enough.

I tend to think of it like this... The Am.Std is the modern version of the Jazz with all the best refinements. It plays and sounds grown up, mixing the classic J sound with some modern touches, whereas the Road Worn plays and sounds like Jazz basses did in the 60's. That original growly burp is there in abundance. Back off the tone control, play on the back pickup only & you've got Jaco sounds in spades. The scary thing about the Road Worn is that I have no idea how they made it sound so good. There's some voodoo going on there somewhere! I can only assume a lot of it has to do with the nitro finish.

Oh, and btw... The pickup spacing on both is 60's. :)[/quote]

Well, I have now tried the RW Fiesta Red Jazz. I am impressed....I really am. Not only did it attract attention when I started noodling in the shop, but I agree with the whole 'feel'. The setup wasnt amazing, but the action was low enough to enjoy it.

I compared it to a Lakland Jo in the store, and they were close, with the JO being more 'modern', and the RW having that warmth that you rarely find. I much prefer 60s spacing, and these pickups solo'd sounded amazing. The JO neck Pup just didnt thump like the RW I must admit.

I have an American Series Jazz, and now im considering a RW for the sheer fact it looks and feel amazing; I quickly realised yet again how much the Jazz works for me.