Why become a member? ×

Paranoid

El Bajo

Tryna get some covers down so I can join a pub band. learned Paranoid in no time at all but when I play to the CD it sounds of. I've tuned up and everything but its as though either I or they are slightly sharp. is that right or do I need to check my intonation?

Sabbath used to downtune because of Iommi's finger problems, so if it's sounds sharp it's probably been sped up.
Chances are that they weren't too worried about intonation or being at concert pitch when they recorded it too.... :)

Just to get back to the OP, I've accumulated several versions by Sabbath, the original studio vs seems to be normal tuning (though it might be a tad out due to tape speed issues) but some of the live recordings are definitely detuned whilst others aren't. This doesn't really help I know...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='847637' date='May 25 2010, 04:16 PM']Good tune's still a good tune, I guess.[/quote]
Too true.
But, in the 40 years since its release, I would have thought more recent tunes would've bumped it off yer pub bands set list years ago.
You'll be telling me next "Hey Joe" and "Sunshine of your love" are[i][b] still [/b][/i]played in pubs up and down the country. :)

[quote name='SteveK' post='847715' date='May 25 2010, 05:25 PM']Too true.
But, in the 40 years since its release, I would have thought more recent tunes would've bumped it off yer pub bands set list years ago.
You'll be telling me next "Hey Joe" and "Sunshine of your love" are[i][b] still [/b][/i]played in pubs up and down the country. :)[/quote]

Just to confirm, "Hey Joe" and "Sunshine of your love" are still played in pubs up and down the country.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='847720' date='May 25 2010, 05:30 PM']Just to confirm, "Hey Joe" and "Sunshine of your love" are still played in pubs up and down the country.[/quote]

Ha ha
And Smoke on the Water, Born to be Wild, all Hendrix tunes, Need your love so bad, Stormy Monday, Crossroads, most of Robert Johnson's song book, Mustang Sally (It's not just for weddings, people) Can't get enough, Wishing Well etc etc etc

As each generation discoverers them they go "oh wow! that's a good one and the crowd loves it" and on it goes...

Alright Now's fun you get to sit out the verses and only play in the chorus and solo. Easy!

[quote name='OldGit' post='847746' date='May 25 2010, 06:00 PM']Alright Now's fun you get to sit out the verses and only play in the chorus and solo. Easy![/quote]

It's also really good fun to drum, MORE COWBELL! And the guitar part's a nice one to play...might be one of those songs that makes the set list as much for the bands' benefit as the crowds'...

[quote name='El Bajo' post='848268' date='May 26 2010, 10:06 AM']Bit the bullet and applied for a band who wnat to talk to me. Now that I know Paranoid what can go wrong. I can finally get out of my bedroom and actually gig after 10 years of doing nothing.[/quote]

Wear soft shoes for the first few rehearsals and gigs cos you will be kicking yourself for not doing this 9 years ago :)
get a set list from them before you rehearse, agree a few tunes to work on first and get them nailed.
You may want to have a look through the [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Gear-Anthems-Various-Artists/dp/B000PHVY3U/ref=pd_bxgy_m_h__img_b"]Jeremy Clarckson/top gear/dad rock/ fathers day[/url] complilations section of Amazon

Edited by OldGit