Why become a member? ×

1980 Yamaha SG1000

lateralus462

This is my new baby - a 1980 Yamaha SG1000 (same age as me!!!). I am so chuffed with this guitar - just set it up to my liking and it plays amazingly and sounds sooo good . Also in the pics is my Laney VC50 which I just picked up for a really good price and my pedalboard (which is a bit of a work in progress at the moment). Sorry for the quality of the pics but I'm without a decent camera at the monent.

They are great guitars. I've always hankered for an SG2000 since I saw Santana back in '77 at the Crystal Palace bowl. Loving the pedal board - what I like about playing guitar is how you can grow a pedal board beyond any rational size!

Nice, I had a '76 SG1000 a few years back, but had to trade it in for an amp after my hiwatt exploded mid-gig. Bad deal, but I was in a hurry, swapped the Yamy and my Hiwatt 4x12 for an Ashdown Electric blue 150. Was the old british made ones, but was still only £350, and that Hiwatt was vintage as well.... doh!

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='848189' date='May 26 2010, 08:59 AM']Nice, I had a '76 SG1000 a few years back, but had to trade it in for an amp after my hiwatt exploded mid-gig. Bad deal, but I was in a hurry, swapped the Yamy and my Hiwatt 4x12 for an Ashdown Electric blue 150. Was the old british made ones, but was still only £350, and that Hiwatt was vintage as well.... doh![/quote]

Someone made a tidy bit of profit on that one then!!

They are awesome guitars - I was torn between getting this and holding out for an SG2000, but tbh I quite like the more Gibson like vibe of the set neck on the SG1000. I guess it would be nice to have the brass sustain plate that the 1500 models upwards have.

The only real issue the guitar has is a fair amount of laquer fogging on the rear and a bit around the top (fortunately just on the dark bits of the burst so you can't really see it unless the light hits it just right) but tbh Iquite like that because it's a bit of a reminder that it's a 30 year old guitar - if it wasn't there you wouldn't be able to tell!!

[quote name='lateralus462' post='848415' date='May 26 2010, 12:54 PM']Someone made a tidy bit of profit on that one then!![/quote]

You're not kidding, the worst of it is that I'd had the guitar advertised for £350 around town for months, and no-one was biting. 2 days after some bloke rang me about it cos he'd seen one just like the picture in soundpad for £500, and wondered if he could get mine cheaper... that was my guitar in soundpad...
Still, I got it for £150 off a bloke who didn't know what he had, so good times really. Got the Hiwatt for a steal as well, profit all round.
Good luck with the beast my friend, they are very cool guitars. Though they weigh a great deal more than they should.

[quote name='lateralus462' post='848415' date='May 26 2010, 12:54 PM']The only real issue the guitar has is a fair amount of lacquer fogging on the rear and a bit around the top......[/quote]
That's a common problem with the late 70s SG 1000/2000s - the hardware tends to get really pitted too.

[quote name='RhysP' post='848524' date='May 26 2010, 02:34 PM']That's a common problem with the late 70s SG 1000/2000s - the hardware tends to get really pitted too.[/quote]

apparently it's caused by gasses released by the pickguard if they're left in the case for too long - the hardware on mine is pretty mint though! there's a little bit of wear from palm muting on the bridge, but no tarnishing or pitting at all. I'm not too keen on the knobs either, but I'm keeping it as original as possible so they'll stay - only thing I'll be changing any time soon is the nut as the one that's on there is pretty shagged - my G string keeps getting all caught up!!