Why become a member? ×

Kubicki Ex Factor, Awesome Burst Finish, 18v 6 position preamp

funkle

Hey all,

Up for sale is my 1990 Kubicki Ex Factor. It's a rare bird in terms of finish/paint scheme (I had a chat with Phil Kubicki about it when I first bought the bass; he remembered building the instrument; great customer service BTW!). The black to blue reverse burst is truly stunning in person. I also love the neck profile and radius on this instrument - the 32" scale is a doddle to play.

I have spent the last little while touching up some aspects of the instrument - oiling the wonderful ebony fretboard, taking apart + cleaning/lubricating the bridge, touching up the dings in the finish, and doing a full set-up. I also added fretboard block decals as I like having something on a dark stage to see my way around. They are easily removed if not desired, although I find them useful myself.

It plays superbly (I like a low action with very little relief) and has a fresh set of Kubicki Nickels installed. The famous detuner works very well, and is absolutely ingenious in function. 9 lbs, alder body.

This bass has the famous Kubicki 18v, 6 position pre-amp, which has:
[list]
[*]stacked master volume/blend
[*]stacked bass/treble boost
[*]6 position switch - mute, active flat, active mid boost, passive flat, passive mid cut, passive treble cut.
[/list]
It is capable of a huge variety of sounds - thanks to the preamp and alder body - but I guess you probably already knew that if you're looking at this post.

There were a few areas I touched up - mainly around the neck heel and neck pocket area, as the original owner used to take the neck off so he could easily carry the bass on a plane when touring and flying. I will photograph the bass closely when I have more time/light and can adequately focus on details. I expect that to be on Tuesday.

Specs can be seen at [url="http://www.kubicki.com/catalogExfactor.php"]http://www.kubicki.com/catalogExfactor.php[/url].

These currently go for $4K and up - and are rare, especially in this finish, which Phil Kubicki told me was only done on a few basses. Of course, you'll need to pay import duties/VAT/etc...[color="#2E8B57"][b] Hence, £1000 + insured UK shipping. [/b][/color] It will be shipped double boxed in a Warwick Rockbag, which is mainly added here for padding/protection - you'll want to use a different gig bag.

As I said above, photos will follow soon. I'll be happy to email the Kubicki instruction manual to the buyer; I have it in PDF format.

Pete

Edited by funkle

I have just traded for a 1989 Kubicki Ex-Factor myself! I used to have #1777 which I traded away (madness!) so now I've gotten ahold of #1659! Man, is it good to have a Kubicki again! I definitely believe these are the best fretted basses in existence, and I don't know how I managed without one for so long!

From my hard drive to yours...

[attachment=50523:IMG_2504.JPG] [attachment=50524:IMG_2505.JPG] [attachment=50515:IMG_2485.JPG]
[attachment=50529:IMG_2491.JPG] [attachment=50516:IMG_2487.JPG] [attachment=50517:IMG_2489.JPG]
[attachment=50522:IMG_2503.JPG] [attachment=50521:IMG_2499.JPG] [attachment=50520:IMG_2495.JPG][attachment=50519:IMG_2494.JPG] [attachment=50525:IMG_2508.JPG] [attachment=50526:IMG_2511.JPG][attachment=50527:IMG_2506.JPG]

The second last photo is meant to show some of the wear on the side markers, but you'll have to zoom in. The last photo shows the biggest ding which I touched up, located at the side of the neck, on the body.

Man, I love that finish.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='849885' date='May 27 2010, 10:28 PM']how about a swap?

StingRay 5?[/quote]

Thanks mate, sadly I am strictly a 4 player. Shame, I like the Stingrays...

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='850564' date='May 28 2010, 07:20 PM']Again - never really 'got' these.[/quote]

If you've never really got these, listen to the sound samples of Vail Johnson playing them at www.kubicki.com

Thats pretty much the "natural" sound for a Kubicki; crisp, articulate, fat and punchy. Stu Hamm gets a burpier, poppier sound with a bit less bass, but that sound is also easily achievable. So whether you want the ultimate bass for "flashy" playing or just something that sounds awesome in the mix, the Kubicki will do it. In fact, with the 6 position preamp, you'll likely never hear everything the bass ahs to offer!

After a few requests, I am uploading the Kubicki manuals to share. I have both the Fender and non-Fender era manuals. Enjoy!

[attachment=50935:Kubicki_..._Fender_.pdf] [attachment=50934:Kubicki_...r__1990_.pdf]

[quote name='ialma' post='852018' date='May 30 2010, 07:02 PM']the fender era misses a page :)[/quote]

Heh. You gotta make do with what you've got I guess :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I don't have originals, otherwise I'd be happy to re-scan.