Why become a member? ×

Hawkwind - some great (and under-appreciated) bass playing

Clarky

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1319830639' post='1419200']
Slightly off topic but I've always thought that lemmy managing to get thrown out of hawkwind for a drug habit is like getting thrown out of the church for having too much faith , an unbelievable achievement
[/quote]
:)

I met Stacia at the Sundown in Edmonton in 73. Although I had lusted after her for some time, all I managed was a mumble, an embaressed bit of shoe shuffling and a pathetic attempt to look her in the eye and not the chest.

I'd like to blame the acid, but that turned out to be a very expensive piece of sliced uncooked spaghetti :)

I've still got the Hawkwind "Have a good time" badge from that gig.

Saw Humble Pie a few weeks later at the same venue, much more my cup of tea.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1319831304' post='1419214']
:)

Saw Humble Pie a few weeks later at the same venue, much more my cup of tea.
[/quote]

Now they were a band and a half. Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley were one of the great un-sung rhythm sections.
'Live - Rockin' the Filmore' is one of my all-time favourite albums.

Back on-topic, I saw Hawkwind at Derby in (I think) 1974. 'Space Ritual' was their current album for that tour. Stacia's were the first pair of real boobs I'd ever seen. Happy days.

We've got some chappy here in Plymouthland who apparently played in Hawkwind...certainly looks like he did :) Now playing in a 10 piece soul cover band.

I personally love my Gong...some fantastic bass playing from Mr Howlett...but i'm sure this should be another thread!!!! :)

[quote name='Rasta' timestamp='1319835450' post='1419270']

I personally love my Gong...some fantastic bass playing from Mr Howlett...but i'm sure this should be another thread!!!! :)
[/quote]

Start that thread! In the meantime I'll have a cup of tea, lovely cup of tea.

Now they were a band and a half. Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley were one of the great un-sung rhythm sections.
'Live - Rockin' the Filmore' is one of my all-time favourite albums.

Yes that's a cracker of an album and still a regular on my hi fi, they were certainly an impressive live act. Saw Stevie Marriots Packet of Three at a pub in Finchley some years back, Jerry shirley on drums and still so good. Greg Ridley no longer with us of course

I was monitor engineer for Hawkwind once - great night but very 'Spinal Tap' at times :)

No-one was allowed to touch or speak into Dave Brock's mic at any time - not even a simple 'one tow, one tow' was allowed in case we passed germs' onto it.

Their roadies all appeared to be some sort of cross between Aleric the Goth and and Obelix the Gaul but with the very poshest English public scholl accents. Upon arriving they asked "what kind of gear this town could offer". When one of the local crew asked what they might be looking for they reeled off a list of substances they had a large stock of already, but professed they were a bit short of really high quality, organically grown, grass.

Had a long conversation with Dave Brock about the problems of rust around the wheel arches & sills of late '70's Merc SL's and what a "great town" Stevenage was because it had a ready supply of filler & just the right touch up paint for Dave's Merc - all very rock 'n' roll :)

After a great performance the band hit the back stage area to partake of the, newly found, local refreshments. Our road crew were fiendishly fast and dismantled a massive rig in about 20 minutes flat. It was really funny to watch the band emerge from a cloud of fug in the dressing room to discover a totally empty stage with no signs of the 2 hour gig they'd just played - you could really see some of them having serious flashback problems and trying to work out if they'd already played a gig or had only just arrived :)

Probably my favourite ever night working road crew. . .

I went to see Hawlords last Thursday in Chislehurst and they were totally amazing - it felt to me like I was watching a new band instead of guys who had been doing it for 30 + years . To cap it all I managed to have a chat with Adrian Shaw at the end of the gig who turned out to be a really decent chap and we discussed the various merits of Gibson vs Epiphone as he just uses a epi on stage now

Actually, this thread has brought back some very fond memories of my very early youth. I must of been about 15 at the time, and my best buddies dad was a huge prog and space rock fan with lots of stuff on vinyl. It was at the time when I was just discovering music - you know the one, spotty, smelly, silly voice etc. Anyways, my mate brought around a load of records, one of which was Hawkwind but I don't know which album. All I remember is the fact that there was no speed on the disc, and no matter which speed we played the vinyl at, it still sounded weirdly awesome.

Right, back to work... Hawkwind on Spotify :)