Why become a member? ×

Looking for a bit of squelch

Huw Foster

Hi all

I'm sure everyone's pretty bored of this subject, but I'm gonna go ahead and ignore that for my own selfish gain. :)

I'm looking for a low pass/envelope filter type thing. You know. Ideally something that comes close to the Mutron, but I'm willing to try most things. If it can do greasy, slippery squelch then I'm interested.

I've been looking at a few of them... a friend of mine uses what I believe is the Moog MF-101 and it's ace. So that's on the shortlist.

I'm also interested in the MXR M-188 (auto Q), maybe the DiscomBOBulator (although from the sound samples I've heard it seems to be lacking some grit - can anyone confirm/dispute this?)... at a push I'd also try the Maxon AF-9 and the DOD FX25.

I apologise - I've realised that's not really a shortlist. But anyway, can I please have some advice on this? Key things to remember: Squelch. Dirt. Funk. Greasier than a dodgy 3am takeaway pizza.

Obviously I would like to try some of these before actually making my mind up, but some nudges in the right sort of direction would be much appreciated!

Huw

P.S. I realise I've completely neglected to mention anything Electro-Harmonix, which is intentional. I'd just like to try something different, as I know what to expect with those pedals.

As a self confessed addict to squelchy filter pedals I would advise the following for you:

Chunk Systems Agent 00 Funk Mark II - brilliant pedal and really great funky filter sound. You can hear it on one my my bands tracks in the intro. Go to www.myspace.com/zangtangband and listen to the first 30 seconds of The House of Zang. If you add it to the Chunk Systems Brown Dog which is a fuzz pedal you can get some awesome synth type sounds and if you carry on listening to The House of Zang you can hear these in the keys break down in the middle.

Subdecay Prometheus - Another really good filter pedal and apparently pretty close to an original Mu-Tron. Can get a vast array of sounds from it not just funky squelch!

EBS Bass IQ - pretty quacky in the up mode but great in the down mode for a synth type thud!

Maxon AF9 - never got on with this. Sounded great at home but lost all the bottom end live.

Dod FX25B - sh*te - IMO!!!

Musitronics Mu-Tron III - The daddy apparently but never had the pleasure of trying one yet - very expensive to buy, bloody big and heavy and a swine to fit on a pedalboard appear to be the main problems with it.

Haz Labs - Mu-Tron III - Didn't like it at all.

EHX Q-Tron - Nice at home but no balls or bottom end live.

Lovetone Meatball - sounded great when Nick Fyffe used it with Jamiroquai but big, heavy and very expensive.

Hope this helps a little.

Mark

[quote name='Huwberry' post='843963' date='May 21 2010, 11:26 AM']Hi all

I'm sure everyone's pretty bored of this subject, but I'm gonna go ahead and ignore that for my own selfish gain. :)

I'm looking for a low pass/envelope filter type thing. You know. Ideally something that comes close to the Mutron, but I'm willing to try most things. If it can do greasy, slippery squelch then I'm interested.

I've been looking at a few of them... a friend of mine uses what I believe is the Moog MF-101 and it's ace. So that's on the shortlist.

I'm also interested in the MXR M-188 (auto Q), maybe the DiscomBOBulator (although from the sound samples I've heard it seems to be lacking some grit - can anyone confirm/dispute this?)... at a push I'd also try the Maxon AF-9 and the DOD FX25.

I apologise - I've realised that's not really a shortlist. But anyway, can I please have some advice on this? Key things to remember: Squelch. Dirt. Funk. Greasier than a dodgy 3am takeaway pizza.

Obviously I would like to try some of these before actually making my mind up, but some nudges in the right sort of direction would be much appreciated!

Huw

P.S. I realise I've completely neglected to mention anything Electro-Harmonix, which is intentional. I'd just like to try something different, as I know what to expect with those pedals.[/quote]

for Lovetone Meatball sounds, you can try 3Leaf Groove Regulator. It is a smaller, cheaper, easier to tweak and still available version of the Meatball circuit.

EHX Mini QTron is nice too and in old steel; but it is 9v not 24v.
If you have the real estate available that 24v QTron would be yummy it's based on and built by the same gut that made the MuTron too

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='844022' date='May 21 2010, 12:27 PM']Lovetone Meatball - sounded great when Nick Fyffe used it with Jamiroquai but big, heavy and very expensive.[/quote]

There are three more compact clones of the Meatball on the market now, with a variety of prices and features, but all would have to be ordered from the USA unless you see one for sale used, so you'd be adding import duty, VAT and a handling fee to these prices:

[url="http://www.3leafaudio.com/"]3Leaf Groove Regulator[/url] - No expression input, lacking a lot of the controls from the original Meatball but apparently it works very well on bass. - $230

[url="http://www.martoneaudio.com/meatwad.htm"]Robot Factory Meatwad[/url] - Almost all the controls from the original, + expression input, in a SansAmp-sized box. - $350

[url="http://www.bargeconcepts.com/mb.html"]Barge Concepts Grinder[/url] - Looks closest to the original, larger and more expensive than the other two. - $410

I've got the Meatwad, it's a top filter. Mine's got a couple of extra sneaky features so it's got more switches, I feel like a scientist when I'm operating it. :)

I had a listen to the different EH Qtrons & didn't like the whishy whisper sound that they seem to give everything.

I love my mf101 & although the filter amount only works upwards, can be gotten around by taking a patch cable from the env out & back into cutoff in. Or use an expression pedal (or 4).
I also find it adds more bass to the sound & you can even add analogue overdrive to the sound.

Downsides to the pedal (if you wanna call em that):
If you turn the drive up to give you some OD, it can't be turned off with the bypass (not true bypass) or linked to an exp pedal.
It's big. & with a couple of exp pedals it could take up most of your board.

None of these are negitaves to me tho as I usually use the mf105b for OD (& other things) & only have those 2 pedals, 1 exp pedal ( but gonna get another soonish), a tap tempo for the 105b (which sits in front of the corner of the board) and a boss chorus (which I have borrowed to try some swishy pad like sounds in conjunction with the moogs).

Just checked out the 3Leaf Groove Regulator and it sounds/looks fantastic - anyone got one that could give an honest appraisal of it?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='844053' date='May 21 2010, 12:48 PM']There are three more compact clones of the Meatball on the market now, with a variety of prices and features, but all would have to be ordered from the USA unless you see one for sale used, so you'd be adding import duty, VAT and a handling fee to these prices:

[url="http://www.3leafaudio.com/"]3Leaf Groove Regulator[/url] - No expression input, lacking a lot of the controls from the original Meatball but apparently it works very well on bass. - $230

[url="http://www.martoneaudio.com/meatwad.htm"]Robot Factory Meatwad[/url] - Almost all the controls from the original, + expression input, in a SansAmp-sized box. - $350

[url="http://www.bargeconcepts.com/mb.html"]Barge Concepts Grinder[/url] - Looks closest to the original, larger and more expensive than the other two. - $410

I've got the Meatwad, it's a top filter. Mine's got a couple of extra sneaky features so it's got more switches, I feel like a scientist when I'm operating it. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='844130' date='May 21 2010, 01:41 PM']Just checked out the 3Leaf Groove Regulator and it sounds/looks fantastic - anyone got one that could give an honest appraisal of it?[/quote]

Look on TB - a member there "Spencer" builds them and they have been a huge hit since he started producing them last year. Lots of positive opinions on there.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='844130' date='May 21 2010, 01:41 PM']Just checked out the 3Leaf Groove Regulator and it sounds/looks fantastic - anyone got one that could give an honest appraisal of it?[/quote]

I've got one, I love it but It doesn't really do full on squelch, it's kind of like a wetter discumbobulator, it gets quite wet, but it's still very transparent, every setting on it is useable, I don't have to worry about blowing speakers or clipping amps, the effects loop is very handy if you plan on running it with a fuzz (or you can set it up so the envelope is triggered by an external source, the kick drum mic or a sampler or whatever)

Ok - not sure it really is for me then? The demo sounds on the website make it sound really squelchy - not a fair reflection then?

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='844287' date='May 21 2010, 03:54 PM']I've got one, I love it but It doesn't really do full on squelch, it's kind of like a wetter discumbobulator, it gets quite wet, but it's still very transparent, every setting on it is useable, I don't have to worry about blowing speakers or clipping amps, the effects loop is very handy if you plan on running it with a fuzz (or you can set it up so the envelope is triggered by an external source, the kick drum mic or a sampler or whatever)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='844290' date='May 21 2010, 03:57 PM']Ok - not sure it really is for me then? The demo sounds on the website make it sound really squelchy - not a fair reflection then?[/quote]

Hmm, maybe we have different ideas of squelchy, the samples on the site are a very good idea of what it can do, the wetter samples are the wettest it'll go, but yea they're a pretty good representation

i've got a GR and can get enough squelch from it when required. This is a very tweakable pedal. care and some experimentation will get you where you need to be without the annoying and speaker-threatening spikeyness of many EHX filters; but the trade-off is that it is probably about 85% as wet and squlechy as an EHX. But then when has one filter ever been enough on a board. I have a GR and an EHX Bass Balls, I also have a steel Mini QTron that i use occasionally.

i checked all the demos before importing the GR a year ago and I have not been disappointed, especially bearing in mind that I love Bootsy-style filter sounds.

Edited by Bassnut62

Good point - I have 3 filters on my board at the moment!!

Seems like wet squelch is subjective then so to speak.

Anyone able to compare the GR to a Musitronics Mu-tron?

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='844306' date='May 21 2010, 04:05 PM']i've got a GR and can get enough squelch from it when required. This is a very tweakable pedal. care and some experimentation will get you where you need to be without the annoying and speaker-threatening spikeyness of many EHX filters; but the trade-off is that it is probably about 85% as wet and squlechy as an EHX. But then when has one filter ever been enough on a board. I have a GR and an EHX Bass Balls, I also have a steel Mini QTron that i use occasionally.

i checked all the demos before importing the GR a year ago and I have not been disappointed, especially bearing in mind that I love Bootsy-style filter sounds.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendations fellas, really useful stuff.

I haven't had a chance to look at them all in detail, but i'm intrigued by the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk (ridiculous name). I watched an Ed Friedland review, in which he incorporated it with that OD pedal and it sounded really cool.

Only thing is - how on earth do I get hold of one in the UK? Again, I've only had a quick look around, but the distributors (Godlyke) are no help on that front.

I was luck enough to have a friend passing through Sydney just about the time I wanted one so I bought both Chunk pedals from Bass People in Sydney and got her to bring them home with her.

Got a great price and no tax or VAT to pay either - result!!

[quote name='Huwberry' post='845595' date='May 23 2010, 11:20 AM']Thanks for the recommendations fellas, really useful stuff.

I haven't had a chance to look at them all in detail, but i'm intrigued by the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk (ridiculous name). I watched an Ed Friedland review, in which he incorporated it with that OD pedal and it sounded really cool.

Only thing is - how on earth do I get hold of one in the UK? Again, I've only had a quick look around, but the distributors (Godlyke) are no help on that front.[/quote]

Some of the guys over at Talkbass are talking about the following filters and saying that they are better sounding than the Mu-Tron itself and they are:

EHX Enigma

WMD SuperFatman

Anybody any thoughts/experiences of these two filters?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='844053' date='May 21 2010, 12:48 PM']There are three more compact clones of the Meatball on the market now, with a variety of prices and features, but all would have to be ordered from the USA unless you see one for sale used, so you'd be adding import duty, VAT and a handling fee to these prices:

I've got the Meatwad, it's a top filter. Mine's got a couple of extra sneaky features so it's got more switches, I feel like a scientist when I'm operating it. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Huwberry' post='845595' date='May 23 2010, 11:20 AM']Only thing is - how on earth do I get hold of one in the UK? Again, I've only had a quick look around, but the distributors (Godlyke) are no help on that front.[/quote]

Try Hotrox, I think they stock them.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='844013' date='May 21 2010, 12:18 PM']Buy an old 24v Q-Tron. It's exactly what you've described.

Maybe the newer 9v models are just as good, I don't know, I haven't tried one. But the old stainless-boxed Q-Tron is really squelchy, peaky and funky.[/quote]

+1
i got an old 24volt one.. it practically drips funk.. stick an octave and fuzz in the fx loop ; )

The FX loop is a huge bonus in a filter - it means you can add the heaviest fuzz known to man - ostensibly before the filter itself - and not lose any of your original envelope dynamic.

One issue is that you lose the independent use of whatever pedal(s) you put in the loop, because if you switch off the Q-Tron you also bypass its effects loop.

Incidentally my own Meatwad bypasses this issue with an extra pair of flicky switches which I asked for when I ordered it. But I don't think there is any other off-the-shelf filter which caters for this requirement.

Well, despite ruling out anything by EHX when I started this topic, I have completely and utterly contradicted myself.

I decided to go for the Q-Tron+ that jxljxl was selling. It was the effects loop that won me over - I'm gonna put an ODB-3 in there, as I don't use it at all on its own. What I'm really looking forward to is the combination of the Q-Tron with my OC-2! I'm anticipating some synthy, squelchy goodness.

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way. I'll refer back to this thread should I decide the Q-Tron isn't for me, or in the equally likely eventuality that I'll want a second filter on my pedal board. :)

Huw