Why become a member? ×

string tension

thestick

can you please tell me if you can adjust string tension on a bass?
I have recently played a bass that felt perfect for me! the string tension was quite loose, the action was low, the tunning was
standerd, but my basses seem to be a bit tighter.
would it be the gauge strings? or the action height? or truss rod adjustment? or all?
please can you help....
many thanks.

the string gauge, brand, core shape and material will all have an effect as will how high the strings are off the fretboard

I don't know how the last bit works but from previous experience, the lower the strings the lower the tension and vice versa

Tension for a given pitch and scale length is directly related to the mass of the string. To increase the tension while keeping the vibrating string length length and pitch the same you need to increase the mass of the string i.e. heavier gauges.

However what you most probably mean is "compliance" which is affected by a whole host of things that don't affect the tension. Have a read of [url="http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm"]this for more information on tension and compliance[/url].

Have your guitar set up properly and ask for a low action.

Most of the basses I've had have fairly low actions, but not low enough and to get to the required 'compliance' means having fret buzz and clanking all over the place.

Use DR strings as well, these are lower tension as they are handmade (expensive though but last ages)

[quote name='Conan' post='841722' date='May 19 2010, 09:27 AM']I can't see how the height of the action can possibly affect the string tension? Maybe the perception of tension.... Hmmmm, that sounds like a good album title![/quote]

possibly if you are playing with a high action - fretting a note requires you to push the string further to get it to make a sound against a fret than if the action was lower which would increase the tension

[quote name='BigRedX' post='841709' date='May 19 2010, 09:17 AM']Have a read of [url="http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm"]this for more information on tension and compliance[/url].[/quote]
Good article. Well found, BRX.
As an adjunct to that, and two other statements in this thread, please consider;

That action adjustments may influence "break angle" and [i]slightly[/i] modify your perception of how the string feels.

That [i]some[/i] DR strings are round-cored. This does influence the string's compliance (positively) in both my experience and DR's opinion. (And I like it!)

• 2 weeks later...