Why become a member? ×

Roundwounds which last as long as flatwounds?

Fiorenza2

I recently made the change over to flatwounds, specifically Chromes, after suggestions from forum members, and have been enjoying the focussed tone, and smooth feel they bring, etc. However, what I appreciate the most is the incredible life span they have; I've had my current set on for roughly 6 months, and they sound as good as new.

Despite this, I'm getting a new bass soon (probably a Geddy Lee Jazz), and I'd like something to contrast with the classic P-bass + Flats thump, so I'm going to be stringing up the new bass with rounds. Basically, what I'm wondering is if there are any roundwounds out there that will give me the same long lasting tone that flats do, mainly because I'm skint, and I hate having to change strings regularly.

I've been looking specifically at DRs (Hi-Beams and Black Beauties) as well as Stadium Elites, which seem to be touted as being fairly long lasting.

Any help would be appreciated!
Phil

[quote name='Fiorenza2' post='840317' date='May 17 2010, 10:33 PM']I recently made the change over to flatwounds, specifically Chromes, after suggestions from forum members, and have been enjoying the focussed tone, and smooth feel they bring, etc. However, what I appreciate the most is the incredible life span they have; I've had my current set on for roughly 6 months, and they sound as good as new.

Despite this, I'm getting a new bass soon (probably a Geddy Lee Jazz), and I'd like something to contrast with the classic P-bass + Flats thump, so I'm going to be stringing up the new bass with rounds. Basically, what I'm wondering is if there are any roundwounds out there that will give me the same long lasting tone that flats do, mainly because I'm skint, and I hate having to change strings regularly.

I've been looking specifically at DRs (Hi-Beams and Black Beauties) as well as Stadium Elites, which seem to be touted as being fairly long lasting.

Any help would be appreciated!
Phil[/quote]

This sounds like something i go through every so many months. I love Chromes but i also like rounds and after a few months (sometimes more, sometimes less) i always seem to go back to rounds.
I miss the overtones etc you get with rounds. But i hate having to buy strings so after a while i might go bake to Chromes etc etc. Never ending cycle.

I would suggest Elixirs. These are coated strings and do seem to keep their new sound for months. They are bright sounding strings, not sure if thats good or bad but ive recently gone off them.
If you want to try some im sure i have a set at home you can have, for free of course. I threw a load of old string sets out at the weekend, i might have thrown them as well but as they are a 5 string set, maybe i didn't. Im pretty sure i last had them on my Duck Dunn (i know, its not 5 string) so they are cut for a Fender type bass so they should fit.

PM me if you want them.

Another +1 for Elixirs

I didn't find them too bright, just really smooth across the board. Even used sets i've had lasted a hell of a long time. The treble boost on my bass is very suble so that might have something to do with it

They can get a bit furry as the coating comes off but still sound great. They're also very slick strings to play and you may notice a little speed boost too!

Thanks a lot for the quick replies!

[quote]I find that the best route to long lasting strings is to wash your hands religiously before touching the bass, and not to handle too much stuff, scratch your head, or rub your face whilst playing. The less grease and that can be transfered to the strings, the longer they will remain bright and pliable.[/quote]

That's probably where I've been going competely wrong. I tend to just pick up the bass fairly spontaneously without giving a thought as to how clean my hands are!

[quote]I would suggest Elixirs. These are coated strings and do seem to keep their new sound for months. They are bright sounding strings, not sure if thats good or bad but ive recently gone off them.
If you want to try some im sure i have a set at home you can have, for free of course. I threw a load of old string sets out at the weekend, i might have thrown them as well but as they are a 5 string set, maybe i didn't. Im pretty sure i last had them on my Duck Dunn (i know, its not 5 string) so they are cut for a Fender type bass so they should fit.[/quote]

That's incredibly generous of you! I'm more than willing to try the Elixirs out after the praise they've received here.

Cheers,
Phil

[quote name='andyjingram' post='840507' date='May 18 2010, 08:39 AM']I find that the best route to long lasting strings is to wash your hands religiously before touching the bass, and not to handle too much stuff, scratch your head, or rub your face whilst playing. The less grease and that can be transfered to the strings, the longer they will remain bright and pliable.

This, of course, works with any brand! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Best thing to do is buy a guitar stand with your strings and once you've put the new strings on, just rest your bass on the stand and don't touch it again. That way the strings will last a lifetime :)
On a serious note, I use the DR Coated Strings and much prefer them to the Elixirs. They feel more like normal strings, not that slimy, fuzzy feel if that makes sense. I gig roughly twice a week for 3-4 hours a gig and get about 6 months out of a set.

Edited by largo