Why become a member? ×

G&L Trib restoration

nig

If anyones interested, I have a series of pics, I got a dead trib of the bay for £100 and proceeded to make it what it was, but had issues on the way but ultimately finished it this week. its a G&L L2000 again. This is what I got an un wired, 1 big pup that ruined 1 cavity,no active or anything worth keeping the other pickup hole filled with plastic padding bass, painted white over green over red, basically a pile of poo.

Edited by nig

I found a usa tail piece and two guys had an mfd pick up, I traded the hipshot tuner for a trib pre amp and switches, purchased 3 knobs of e bay, got some pots and caps, found a used set of schallers of e bay. I had 2 strap buckles and I will deal with the body in the next post.

Theres a pic of the half chiseled out plastic padding car filler, also both cavity's had been routed out bigger than the g&l pick up size. also the newly built up tailpiece.

The body turned out to be swamp ash which was a result. but needed a solution to the problem with the top, see next post.

Thanks, so next step was body repair and refinish, I went for a maple veneer top, the pick up holes were sleeved and re routed to the size of the MFD pups, the original holes for the screws were still evident in the body as were the springs for the height adjustment..
one of the problems the luthier had was bleeding from the grain of leos original primer so the lacquer tint had to be a bit deep than we wanted.
The headstock face was stripped and has had the L2000 decal added, someone had added an extra string tree to the headstock and this wouldnt stop bleeding green from the drilled hole !, so there is a little shadow of green on the filled hole, but not big deal.
Next...assembly.

I had then to drill pilot holes thru the veneer to get the controls sorted, the earth from the bridge etc...major stress, 1 bit of lacquer splintered, phew, then got the ferrules back in the holes in the body so I could attach the neck, split some lacquer off, the shard super glued back on perfectly...more stress !!!
Then the tone and vol pots wernt long enough to start the thread, found longer ones, finally both pups arrived and slotted in perfectly, then it was wire up time.
Wired up, it was nearly ok, just let a ground off, redid it, all perfect, except the new switchcraft jack is still crap, hate them things. strings and a crank of the truss rod and all done for the weekend.

Thanks for the kind comments guys,
I got it last sept or oct for £100, I was gutted when I found out how dogged it was, the paint and veneer repair cost £180, the electrics and active circuit I traded for the hipshot D tuner that was on it, the two pups were £40 each, the schallers £20, it may all sound a bit expensive, plus hours of my time, but as it was money here and there over 6 months It felt painless,
so for around 400 smackers I have a nice bass, I never had that money at the time, plus Ive learnt alot on the way and as sad as it seems, its another bass that hasnt bitten the dust.

1 more pic for good measure :)

Nice one, you've managed to get what's practically a brand new bass for a little over what a second hand one would have cost, and it's prettier too! Good job!
Also, for future reference, if you put a bit of masking tape over where you're about to drill through the laquer, it makes it less likely to chip and crack etc