Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-II Original - King of valve amps! NOW SOLD

molan

So it's finally time to think about moving on my rather amazing Ampeg SVT-II. This is one of the original 'non-pro' versions with a single master volume control.

It was purchased from new about 20 years ago by a friend of mine for his band who had a new recording contract & gigs lined up. However the band broke up soon afterwards and the Ampeg sat in it's Mesa Boogie Sus-4 shockproof rack until I took it off his hands.

When I first fired it up it had an irritating little buzz but a trip down to see the wonderful [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]Steve Rowse[/url] identified the problem and it's now all fixed and back as good as new.

When I say "as good as new" I'm really not exaggerating - there's a couple of small marks on the back but the front is near perfect and even the top is free of those scratches you usually get with amps that have been in and out racks. The shock rack really has done it's job at not only protecting the exterior from damage but it's kept out any signs of damp & dust etc. as well. The case is included in the sale as well, it's got a few marks from just being moved around a garage but it's in very good nick generally and all catches & fittings work perfectly.

Thought by many pro musicians to be the 'best amp ever made' and these have an amazing reputation in the States. I won't go into loads of detail here as I'm guessing that anyone reading this already knows a fair bit about the SVT series and the II in particular.

General view is that the II has all the classic tone of the original Ampeg all valve amps but with the flexibility of a rack mount and a switchable graphic (this is also foot switchable so can be used to set up a full 2nd channel option either for a different tone or just a volume boost).

Here's a quote from TalkBass where the II has its very own appreciation thread:

[i]It's a much better sounding amp (to my ears) than the SVT-CL and II Pro but gets lumped in with them based on the model number. I find more clarity, but also more depth and roundness. It sounds very similar to the VR (and therefore in theory to the vintage "holy grail" SVT) but you also get a footswitchable EQ (nice option if you need/like it) and a balanced line out. [/i]

I really do love the sound of this amp and it can cover a lot more bases than you might think. When I first had it a friend used my Sadowsky NYC through it and it sounded a complete slap monster. It's certainly much purer and cleaner that any other valve amp I've heard. It kills with big loud rock but won't begin to break into valve distortion unless it has a boost pedal in front of it. It's rated at 300W but these are some seriously loud valve watts and easily loud enough for pretty much any gig!

It's all valve and I think there's about 16 of the buggers in it (all recently tested as being OK). This makes it pretty hefty at around 70-80 lbs. It's an OK lift on its own but the rack case is bomb-proof and also pretty hefty at about 40lbs - 50lbs. When racked I can lift it but it's ideally a 2 person job. I don't really think it's shippable but I'm willing to consider this if someone's really desperate. Happy to meet up within an hour or so from South Oxfordshire.

OK - that's about it for now, a near perfect all valve classic Ampeg with hardly any use in the toughest of rack cases. I can't imagine there's a better condition original vintage one of these in the country. . .

Priced at £1,150 with the case and the case alone must be worth over £150 (retail on these is £500 from Boogie!) so that makes theequivalent amp price just £1,000 :rolleyes:

Might be interested in trades for an interesting or easy to sell bass but I don't need any amps / cabs really :)

Edited by molan

Why does this always happen to me?! :lol:
Was in Oxfordshire last weekend!

Would gladly kill, dismember and bury someone for this! :lol:

Don´t have cash near asking price, but do have some ´easy to sell basses´
Any chance you´d be interested in my SUB, Fender Mustang (see my ads) and a touch of cash?
only snag is I´m in Ireland so that might be something of a problem :)

If not, good luck with the sale mate,
Can´t see this hanging around too long, :rolleyes:

Colin

Edited by basshead56

Hi Molan,

Fantastic looking Amp... would you be interested in a trade for a 1994 Musicman Natural Blonde Stingray :)

Like Colin above, I'm based in Ireland, but would be willing to pay for the shipping costs etc

Cheers

Drew

[quote name='99ster' post='829081' date='May 5 2010, 10:45 PM']If Steve Rowse has serviced this you can be sure it's 100% spot-on. He is a total legend.
Bump for fabulous amp![/quote]

Couldn't agree more - his house should be registered as a valve amp heritage site :)

He also said he was happy to quote him as a reference on any future sale - where have you ever heard that before!

Edited by molan

[quote name='Shockwave' post='829130' date='May 5 2010, 11:14 PM']Cor blimey guv. not interested in a part exhange with the pedulla fretless?[/quote]

I'm afraid I've reverted to 4 strings only these days :)

looks lovely though :rolleyes:

A few silly offers from the lovely EBay (two people suggested free shipping to mainland Europe!) but nothing firm so I thought I'd reduce the price here down by £100.

At £1,150 and with a case worth £150 that makes the amp alone a value of £1,000 - must be a very good price for something this desirable & in such immaculate condition?

After a lot of initial interest it seems everything has gone very quiet :)

Happy to consider trades on anything that might be easy to sell - probably more interested in basses than amps but you never know. . .

[quote name='molan' post='839378' date='May 16 2010, 11:19 PM']A few silly offers from the lovely EBay (two people suggested free shipping to mainland Europe!) but nothing firm so I thought I'd reduce the price here down by £100.

At £1,150 and with a case worth £150 that makes the amp alone a value of £1,000 - must be a very good price for something this desirable & in such immaculate condition?[/quote]

£1150 cash on collection, if you say yes i will double check when i can get the money out the bank.

Matt

[quote name='Mattrules83' post='849834' date='May 27 2010, 09:34 PM']£1150 cash on collection, if you say yes i will double check when i can get the money out the bank.

Matt[/quote]

That's a big YES from me :)

Around most of the weekend if that's any use?

I'll send you a PM to confirm,

[i]And now SOLD :rolleyes:[/i]

Edited by molan