Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS Driving me nuts, what combination???

Have just got a MB CMD 121H combo, but need more oomph, does any rate/think that the Litle Mark Tube 800w with a 2x10 [standard or traveller] and a 1x15 [same] would give me the warmth, grunt, feel that seems to be missing from my combo.
Main reason for buying the combo was to cut down the size and make portability easier.
All MB seems to be light anyway, so 3 pieces shoudn't be a problem.

The GroovyPlucker

Ha ha.I had exactly the same combo,did the usual,tried to slim down,needles to say gone back to 4x10s.It sounded amazing in my front room but in rehearsal I struggled to hear it without it farting out and the first gig,I had to get the old faithfull 1048h and couple it with that(good thing about having a tranny van).It might be just me but the neo/digital is not for me,it just lacked something,but cant knock the weight thing though.Suppose I should of tried a MB extension cab!

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='825638' date='May 2 2010, 05:01 PM']Have just got a MB CMD 121H combo, but need more oomph, does any rate/think that the Litle Mark Tube 800w with a 2x10 [standard or traveller] and a 1x15 [same] would give me the warmth, grunt, feel that seems to be missing from my combo.
Main reason for buying the combo was to cut down the size and make portability easier.
All MB seems to be light anyway, so 3 pieces shoudn't be a problem.

The GroovyPlucker[/quote]

The combo is plenty loud enough.

But.... I never liked Markbass gear over a certain volume, it just lacked character and guts. I'd experiment with some boxes between bass and amp. Put a Tech 21 VT or similar in front of it and it livens things up a bit. Keeps the rig small also :)

[quote name='mikhay77' post='825648' date='May 2 2010, 05:12 PM']Ha ha.I had exactly the same combo,did the usual,tried to slim down,needles to say gone back to 4x10s.It sounded amazing in my front room but in rehearsal I struggled to hear it without it farting out and the first gig,I had to get the old faithfull 1048h and couple it with that(good thing about having a tranny van).It might be just me but the neo/digital is not for me,it just lacked something,but cant knock the weight thing though.Suppose I should of tried a MB extension cab![/quote]

Yeah, know what you mean. Had an Ashdown Rig prior to this, 1x15, 2x10 cab, and a full rack of gear, but it was just too bulky to manouevere, am seriously contemplating the LittleMark Tube 800w, and 2x10, 1x15 cabs.

[quote name='Beedster' post='825653' date='May 2 2010, 05:16 PM']The combo is plenty loud enough.

But.... I never liked Markbass gear over a certain volume, it just lacked character and guts. I'd experiment with some boxes between bass and amp. Put a Tech 21 VT or similar in front of it and it livens things up a bit. Keeps the rig small also :)[/quote]

You're right, plenty loud, but little in character and warmth.
Didn't you have the Mesa Walkabout? If so how did that compare in tone/character?
As mentioned, looking at the LM Tube 800w

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='825654' date='May 2 2010, 05:17 PM']Yeah, know what you mean. Had an Ashdown Rig prior to this, 1x15, 2x10 cab, and a full rack of gear, but it was just too bulky to manouevere, am seriously contemplating the LittleMark Tube 800w, and 2x10, 1x15 cabs.[/quote]

I had the R500 which had a tube pre, and trust me, it wasn't very tubey. They might have got it together since, but if you want tubey, I can't think why you'd be looking at Markbass

C

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='825657' date='May 2 2010, 05:19 PM']You're right, plenty loud, but little in character and warmth.
Didn't you have the Mesa Walkabout? If so how did that compare in tone/character?
As mentioned, looking at the LM Tube 800w[/quote]

As per my last post, Markbass ain't known for warmth. Mesa? There's tubey warmth by the ton for ya! If you're spending that sort of money a Walkabout would be a good shout.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='825660' date='May 2 2010, 05:22 PM']As per my last post, Markbass ain't known for warmth. Mesa? There's tubey warmth by the ton for ya! If you're spending that sort of money a Walkabout would be a good shout.

Chris[/quote]

There's guy selling a walkabout and ext cab on here, d'ya reckon that'd give me the warmth, oomph I'm looking for?
Play in a covers band so like the tightness of the MB, but as mentioned the character seems nullified, don't want to go overboard with the tube sound, but just need more wamth etc.
Do you know if the 2x12's handle well?

[quote name='The GroovyPlucker' post='825670' date='May 2 2010, 05:31 PM']There's guy selling a walkabout and ext cab on here, d'ya reckon that'd give me the warmth, oomph I'm looking for?
Play in a covers band so like the tightness of the MB, but as mentioned the character seems nullified, don't want to go overboard with the tube sound, but just need more wamth etc.
Do you know if the 2x12's handle well?[/quote]

You might find I bought that (and sold my other Walkabout head the same day). But yes, it would have :)

However, the Walkabout combo is not especially light, it's heavier than the Markbass Jeff Berlin 15 combo I used to own for example. If you have the CMD12 at present, I can't help thinking you should at least experiment with something valvey in front of it, that way your rig does two things well?

Chris

This might help though

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280496923391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_951wt_1165"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_951wt_1165[/url]

Clarky (on here) is selling his extension cab also, but I can't find the link

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='825678' date='May 2 2010, 05:36 PM']You might find I bought that (and sold my other Walkabout head the same day). But yes, it would have :)

However, the Walkabout combo is not especially light, it's heavier than the Markbass Jeff Berlin 15 combo I used to own for example. If you have the CMD12 at present, I can't help thinking you should at least experiment with something valvey in front of it, that way your rig does two things well?

Chris[/quote]

Not too worried about the weight, as I was lumping around two flighcases previously, but am really wanting to go back to my favoured 2x10, 1x15 arrangement, have always had that, not sure I'm gonna spend money on a MB 1x15 ext cab. was gonna get some MB FX too. Anyway gona gig it again tonight and see how it goes. Will speak to the shop I got it from and maybe swap for that MB tube amp and see how that compares, will let you know.
Clarky's walkabout finishes soon but don't have the reddies yet to bid on it, so it'll have to go elsewhere, would still be worried I'd miss out on the bottom end with 2x12's tho.
Thanks for all your wonderful advice thus far.

Here's my tuppence worth....

Don't judge the Markbass gear too quickly. Take your time and get used to it. Play a few rehearsals, use it on a smaller gig. Try different settings, especially try the VLE and VPF filters. Let your ears get used to a totally different sound from your old rig.

I disagree with those who think the Markbasss gear isn't warm sounding. To my ears, it is warm and as close to valve sounding as any small SS amp I've heard. I have no desire to buy a tube amp. I just prefer the clean but warm sound I have now. Valve amp lovers will never agree with that, so it's each to his own I suppose.

Beedsters suggestion of a a Tech 21 or similar is good advice. I have a sansamp programmable DI box. It does warm things up if that's your preference but I rarely use it. I find the Markbass sound to be OK as it is. I just tweak the EQ on the amp.

The 121H is a loud combo on its own once you get used to getting the best from it.

I've had several Markbass cabs. I would say, if you want more volume and just a "bigger" sound, get the matching 1 x 12 cab 121H. You could knock walls down with that pairing. It's only my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with any other cab with the combo you already own - except the 121H cab.

IMO, you don't need more power than the LMII gives. I've used mine ( and a LM I before that) for years in all sorts of venues and never been underpowered. If you need to go louder than that, then the PA has got to be the answer or your hearing will suffer.

BTW, I have a Barefaced Compact 1 x 15 cab and a Barefaced Midget on the way. These are excetional cabs and very lightweight. You're welcome to try them if it helps your quest for "light and loud". I use and LM II amp for this.

I hope this is of some help and that you evenually get on with your Markbass gear. I think you just need to give it time.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='825695' date='May 2 2010, 05:47 PM']Here's my tuppence worth....

Don't judge the Markbass gear too quickly. Take your time and get used to it. Play a few rehearsals, use it on a smaller gig. Try different settings, especially try the VLE and VPF filters. Let your ears get used to a totally different sound from your old rig.

I disagree with those who think the Markbasss gear isn't warm sounding. To my ears, it is warm and as close to valve sounding as any small SS amp I've heard. I have no desire to buy a tube amp. I just prefer the clean but warm sound I have now. Valve amp lovers will never agree with that, so it's each to his own I suppose.

Beedsters suggestion of a a Tech 21 or similar is good advice. I have a sansamp programmable DI box. It does warm things up if that's your preference but I rarely use it. I find the Markbass sound to be OK as it is. I just tweak the EQ on the amp.

The 121H is a loud combo on its own once you get used to getting the best from it.

I've had several Markbass cabs. I would say, if you want more volume and just a "bigger" sound, get the matching 1 x 12 cab 121H. You could knock walls down with that pairing. It's only my opinion, but I wouldn't bother with any other cab with the combo you already own - except the 121H cab.

IMO, you don't need more power than the LMII gives. I've used mine ( and a LM I before that) for years in all sorts of venues and never been underpowered. If you need to go louder than that, then the PA has got to be the answer or your hearing will suffer.

BTW, I have a Barefaced Compact 1 x 15 cab and a Barefaced Midget on the way. These are excetional cabs and very lightweight. You're welcome to try them if it helps your quest for "light and loud". I use and LM II amp for this.

I hope this is of some help and that you evenually get on with your Markbass gear. I think you just need to give it time.

Frank.[/quote]

Cheers frank, I see there's someone on here selling a barefaced 1x15. still can't see past my 1x15, 2x10 set up, I'm blinkered, would also like to keep same manufacturer on stage, I'm a bugger for stage presentation and it would look really tidy, as long as it does what I want, lol,

I've got the TA501 which has a valve compressor and this certainly puts a bit of warnth into the other wise 'hi-fi' presentation of Markbass amps. I also find tha the LM series doesn't sound quite 'right' at higher volumes. My F500 certainly sounds great when wound up to gig volumes whereas my CMD121P, even with an extension cab, doesn't have the 'slam' I'm loking for.

[quote name='machinehead' post='825695' date='May 2 2010, 05:47 PM']Here's my tuppence worth....

Frank.[/quote]

All good points. I guess we diverge on our definitions of 'warmth'. I've owned three Markbass rigs and, even with an old P-Bass with flats, I could never get what I considered a classic warm tone. The VLE helps for sure, but I find you lose something with it also.
Chris

I would add the Markbass NY121, which I think is the same dimensions?!

Anyway....one of the Markbass 1x12s.

If thats not enough, sell the combo and get an amp with cabs.

The LMTube isnt, IMO, worth the extra over the LM3. I would stick with the LM3 or the F1/500. The LMTube adds very little in terms of tube warmth.

The power sections of the F1/500 and LM2/3 are the optimum setup when it comes to tone. There are some negative reviews of the LM 800/LMTube 800....they dont sound like the LM2/3 for some reason.

Personally, I nearly did what you did and got a combo. Very light and awesome tone. BUT, I dont think it would be loud enough for me. The Jeff Berlin might cut it for me...might.

If I get any Markbass cabs itll be the 2x10 (x2) or one of the 4x10s.

I like the Markbass amp tones...and I like how well made they are. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='825742' date='May 2 2010, 06:30 PM']I would add the Markbass NY121, which I think is the same dimensions?!

Anyway....one of the Markbass 1x12s.

If thats not enough, sell the combo and get an amp with cabs.

The LMTube isnt, IMO, worth the extra over the LM3. I would stick with the LM3 or the F1/500. The LMTube adds very little in terms of tube warmth.

The power sections of the F1/500 and LM2/3 are the optimum setup when it comes to tone. There are some negative reviews of the LM 800/LMTube 800....they dont sound like the LM2/3 for some reason.

Personally, I nearly did what you did and got a combo. Very light and awesome tone. BUT, I dont think it would be loud enough for me. The Jeff Berlin might cut it for me...might.

If I get any Markbass cabs itll be the 2x10 (x2) or one of the 4x10s.

I like the Markbass amp tones...and I like how well made they are. :)[/quote]

The New York121 cab is the match for the CMD121P combo but the 121H combo matches the 121H cab. The 121H is alittle taller.

At one time I had a pair if 2 x 10 Markbass cabs. It was an excellent and flexible steup. Plus very light to carry as each cab and the amp are very light individually.

Frank

Just another thought. My CMD121P is still here - the one I didn't sell you. You could try that as an extension cab ( amp disconnnected) to give an approximate idea of the sound you'd get. It would be less impressive than a 121H cab because the volume is much less but still, might be worth a try before you spend more cash?

(I'm glad you didn't end up buying mine now because I would feel bad at you not liking it - LOL)

Also, there's a guy selling a 2 x 10 combo with 1 x 15 cab in Whitehead. Check gumtree.

Frank.

It has taken me quite a trial but I have got there......I think.

I don't know some peoples definition of loud but I run a SM400 into 2 GS112's so that is a maximum of 400watts at 4 ohms.
Our drummer is LOUD and I easily keep up. Any louder ...and I have lots in hand on the master...and we are into serious ear damage.

The bottom works really well onstage and I hope that repeats out front.
The SWR amp has a valve pre..which I like...but I would think a LMll with these cabs would work very well.
Assuming you like the LM amp...then 12" should lose nothing down below, IME.

So small, easy carry but defo not a small sound ..so much so that I am selling a classic 2x10, 1x15 set-up..

[quote name='machinehead' post='825766' date='May 2 2010, 06:57 PM']Just another thought. My CMD121P is still here - the one I didn't sell you. You could try that as an extension cab ( amp disconnnected) to give an approximate idea of the sound you'd get. It would be less impressive than a 121H cab because the volume is much less but still, might be worth a try before you spend more cash?

(I'm glad you didn't end up buying mine now because I would feel bad at you not liking it - LOL)

Also, there's a guy selling a 2 x 10 combo with 1 x 15 cab in Whitehead. Check gumtree.

Frank.[/quote]

I checked that ad on gumtree but I think it's sold or something, there was some reason why I didn't get in touch, but I'll have another look,

Thanks again frank