Why become a member? ×

Smoother feeling roundwounds?

Clarky

I use flats on my P basses but have put some EB Slinky roundwound strings on my Alembic. To my fingertips, the EBs feel quite rough and harsh so I was wondering if anyone could recommend roundwound strings that feel smoother under the fingers - perhaps because they use narrower gauge wire for the windings? I have TI Jazz rounds and they feel much nicer than the EBs (I think due to narrower gauge windings) but they are too skinny and loose for the 32" scale length (IIRC the E string is 89). So I am looking for something like TI rounds but less skinny. All thoughts gratefully received.

[quote name='Clarky' post='823750' date='Apr 30 2010, 10:06 AM']I use flats on my P basses but have put some EB Slinky roundwound strings on my Alembic. To my fingertips, the EBs feel quite rough and harsh so I was wondering if anyone could recommend roundwound strings that feel smoother under the fingers - perhaps because they use narrower gauge wire for the windings? I have TI Jazz rounds and they feel much nicer than the EBs (I think due to narrower gauge windings) but they are too skinny and loose for the 32" scale length (IIRC the E string is 89). So I am looking for something like TI rounds but less skinny. All thoughts gratefully received.[/quote]

I suppose there's always the half-way house of halfwounds. I swear by Status Hotwire halfwounds. Smooth to the touch (smoother than other halfwounds I've tried), but still giving some useful brightness to my P bass. I don't think my fingers would cope with roundwounds now.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I would use Alembic brand strings as they claim that their "compressed wire [windings have] an elliptical profile [and] the resulting string is smoother than a traditional one, and this means both reduced fretting noise and reduced fret wear."

But they are £39 a set - ouch

Clarky, I think the BGM website might still have their 'Wind Tasting' table which has frequency response and various other details, amongst which is feel, of a wide selection of bass strings. If it's not there, I've got it somewhere

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='823909' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:13 PM']Clarky, I think the BGM website might still have their 'Wind Tasting' table which has frequency response and various other details, amongst which is feel, of a wide selection of bass strings. If it's not there, I've got it somewhere

C[/quote]
thx Chris, can't see it on the website unfortunately (search function doesn't come up with anything for 'wind tasting')

would you happen to know if DR strings (of which there are a bewildering variety) are more along the lines of what I am after?

[quote name='Clarky' post='823934' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:30 PM']thx Chris, can't see it on the website unfortunately (search function doesn't come up with anything for 'wind tasting')

would you happen to know if DR strings (of which there are a bewildering variety) are more along the lines of what I am after?[/quote]

I've found DR rounds are smoother then Elites. Not sure how they compare to slinkys though

[quote name='Clarky' post='823934' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:30 PM']thx Chris, can't see it on the website unfortunately (search function doesn't come up with anything for 'wind tasting')

would you happen to know if DR strings (of which there are a bewildering variety) are more along the lines of what I am after?[/quote]

Sorry, it's Bass Player not BGM. I downloaded it a while back but would probably get the site into trouble if I posted it here (mods, can you confirm?). I'll refer to it though, are you looking for nickel or steel?

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='823945' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:36 PM']Sorry, it's Bass Player not BGM. I downloaded it a while back but would probably get the site into trouble if I posted it here (mods, can you confirm?). I'll refer to it though, are you looking for nickel or steel?

C[/quote]
Hi Chris, searched their site and couldn't find it either - maybe I was usingth wrong search string (excuse the pun). Nickel is what i am after