Why become a member? ×

D-tuner fretless.... Anyone?

The Burpster

Just speccing upgrade items for my de-fret job.

Anyone actually use a D-tuner on a 4 string fretless?

Is is something you would consider or does it just make your brain go all wobbly?

I do use drop D tuning occasionally but not sure if I'd use the fretless for those numbers, or once I have it will (the fretless) I want to use it for everything?

I played fretless exclusively for a couple of years. The guys in the band loved the sound of it, so I didn't have choice but to play it on every song (a I was the lead singer as well).

There's no harm in fitting it just in case you need it.

If your used to drop D anyway then you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You might find that it's easy to bend the string causing some intonation issues, but that's just a bit of practice.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='814111' date='Apr 21 2010, 07:16 PM']Anyone actually use a D-tuner on a 4 string fretless?

Is is something you would consider or does it just make your brain go all wobbly?

I do use drop D tuning occasionally but not sure if I'd use the fretless for those numbers, or once I have it will (the fretless) I want to use it for everything?[/quote]
I use a drop-tuner on the B-string of my 5-string fretless (dropping me to A). Doesn't make my brain go wobbly, but it does make the string go even wobblier. :) (The action suffers a touch, but that's my own fault for having it so low when tuned to B.)

I'm getting into using my fretless for everything. Like 7string said, there's no harm in fitting the D-tuner -- at least you've got the option to use it then.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='814996' date='Apr 22 2010, 02:17 PM']Approx 4mins in: "You can buy one of these.......... if you don't mind selling your car!" :)[/quote]
He's not wrong either. Go to [url="http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/hyperbass.html"]the Zon[/url] site and click on "Build your Hyperbass". Stick four Xtenders (D-tuners, call them what you like) on the build, and even with the basic satin finish and no case you're at $7250.