Why become a member? ×

Warwick 5 string

jamesbass116

Thoughts have been going through my head recently... about warwick basses in particular.

I had a previous thread which asked for advice on a good, narrow necked 5 string bass.
I've been thinking of selling two of my basses Fender 24V and Fernandes Gravity to possibly fund a Warwick 5 string. Owning a Warwick Corvette (even though it's 4 string and fretless), I know that I find it especially comfortable. But I've not got much experience with Streamers

Being more of a fender person, I can't really compare which is more suited to me, even though I own a bloody warwick!! :rolleyes:

So any advice on which of the Streamer and Corvette 5 strings would perhaps suit me better?

Thanks for the help :)

James

P.S. I know I've posted a lot of pointless "should I buy this" topics even though I haven't followed through with any of them, but I am deadly serious about this one.....I swear!! :lol:

[quote name='uzzell' post='814236' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:37 PM']Go for a Corvette. I'm selling one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83754&pid=814230&st=0&#entry814230"]here[/url] if you are interested?[/quote]

That's a gorgeous corvette! But seeing as a trade doesn't look like an option for it anymore it'll be difficult for me to find the money in the next week or so for it..

Edited by jamesbass116

The question posed is a bit like asking which is best, an apple or an orange! Not helpful I realise but they are very different beasts, necks will also vary massively depending on the age of the bass. The good thing is that the bridge string spacing has a degree of adjustment so you can make some alterations to get it to your liking. You should be aware that the Streamer NT 5 string is available with a broad-spacing which has a wider nut but this isn't 'that' common and the seller should know about it. :)

Well I like Streamers, as you can tell (look left!)
With any Warwick you should be aware of ergonomics. Some wicks leave a bit to be desired in the comfort stakes.
I had a Thumb NT5, and whilst it was a fantastic bass, 26 frets + top horn that ends at the 17th fret + hardwood neck made it mega uncomfortable.
Corvettes are lighter but the light ash body/ovangkol neck tends to make them a bit neck heavy.
All three of my Streamers balance well, feel good to play and have knockout tone.

Streamer! Much prettier basses in my opinion and I loved the one I had, great balance and great build and very comfortable. Corvettes look a bit silly to me and as my good friend and guitrist once said about a Corvette "that top horn looks like a dildo" not how I would have phrased it but then guitarists arent usually known for their subtleness.

To be honest both great basses and warwick are usually superb so its just down to trying a couple and picking which one you personally prefer the look and sound of.

As previously stated, Why restrict yourself to just Streamers or 'Vettes?
Some Warwicks are guilty of being the same hardware & electrics in a different body.
I'd check out the more diverse packages (pick-up wise) offered in;

The Corvette or Streamer $$ (MM/MM)
The Streamer Jazzman (J/MM)
The Corvette FNA Jazzman (J/MM)
The Dolphin/Infinity/Vampyre (J/JJ)
The Fortress Masterman (JJ but twin EQ!)

Any of these will give you a wider variety of tones than a simple J/J Streamer or Corvette might.
Beware the weight of some Streamer LXs. I have a '97 Maple-bodied, Wenge-necked VI ("narrow" neck) and it weighs 14lb! It is a monster of a bass though.
Try as many as you can. Just to be sure, like!

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I suppose in my Warwick naivety I thought of the vette and streamer as the jazz and p-bass of Warwick!!
Never thought of the HUGE selection of other top quality basses Warwick have!

I've played a Thumb NT 5 before, family friend has one. He brought it over to let me have a play on it once, got some sweet sounds out of it.
I'll take advice from some of the posters and try as many different makes and models as possible though.

I might need a warwick session in the Bass Cellar some time soon.

[quote name='throwoff' post='815118' date='Apr 22 2010, 04:07 PM']If you can try a Jazzman, by far my favourite[/quote]
Smashing basses. As is the chambered Infinity SN4 that I own. Oodles of tone and lots of tonal variety from the J/JJ pickup configuration.

One note of caution- The 26 fret models with short upper horns (Thumb & Infinity methinks) tend to make the bass hang a little unusually. The effect is that it can "throw" the headstock away from you, making the first fret a bit of a reach until you're used to it. Still 34" Scale though.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='814877' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:26 PM']Beware the weight of some Streamer LXs. I have a '97 Maple-bodied, Wenge-necked VI ("narrow" neck) and it weighs 14lb! It is a monster of a bass though.
Try as many as you can. Just to be sure, like![/quote]

Bloomin' 'eck, I've got the same model, same year, and it's about 9.5lbs :)

+1 on the Streamer Jazzman. A very versatile bass.

I had a 4-string bubinga Corvette, which I loved, so I thought a 5-string Corvette would be the obvious upgrade.

They use the same body blank, and the 5-string has a wider neck, so the balance is totally different. After about 6 months of trying to cure / live with the neck dive I sold it on.

Whatever Warwick you audition, put a strap on it and try playing it standing up.

David

Had a Corvette 5 for many years. I always thought it quite heavy, but after replacing it with a 'Ray... :) Tone-wise it was very versatile, far more so than its replacement, thanks to the choices 2 pick-ups afford. Live the thing was a monster - huge sound, endless sustain.

Never played a Streamer, so can't comment, but I played a Thumb before buying the Corvette and I have to say I preferred the 'vette.

No matter what you get, you're likely to be happy with it. They're very well made instruments and feel it. Given they're so cheap these days, it has the potential to be a relatively cheap experiment.