Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to Fender Sub Lime?

cameltoe

I posted on here a while back about trying to find a really vintage sounding fuzz. Very creamy and thick without too much character in the fuzz, just allowing the sound of the bass through. The Fender Sub Lime was suggested and that's pretty much bang-on what I'm looking for, but it's just too DAMN BIG!

I'm not really interested in a Big Muff- I'm using my gutarists Russian muff at the moment, and have also used a regular muff, and I find they have a very distinct 'Muff' sound. A bit nasal for my liking, just a bit narrow in tone, and doesn't seem to let any of your regular tone through!

Nothing too wild- something really laid-back and chilled out, with plenty of low-end. I've looked at loads on Youtube and can't find anything I like as much as the Sub Lime.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='811938' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:41 PM']isn't the Zvex mastotron something similar, or at least able to cop similar tones?[/quote]

Not quite. The Wooly Mammoth is a gated fuzz and it allows for a wider range of fuzz tones and oscillations. The mastotron isn't gated and as such does a more straightforward sound. To my ears the gated sound is very modern and useful for maybe dance or electro type sounds whereas the mastotron is more 'vintage sounding' if you dial off the fuzz a bit. In saying this it should be possible to get all the sounds from a mastotron out of a wooly mammoth but if you are not interested in the extra (crazier) sounds of the mammoth then there seems little point spending all that extra. As an ex-owner of both I can confirm that both are great and come highly recommended.

[quote name='gt4ever' post='812012' date='Apr 19 2010, 10:32 PM']yeah good call, mammoth is only for passive basses too.[/quote]

It sounds a bit different with actives / buffered pedals infront of it, but not that much different.

In this case though I don't think it's a good suggestion, it's a very different kind of fuzz sound to what the OP wants.

Maybe look at the MXR Blowtorch.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='812518' date='Apr 20 2010, 01:25 PM']I did look at the Blowtorch before and I think I remember it being a bit sharp, but I'll have another look.[/quote]

There's a lot you can do with the onboard EQ and blend knob. If you want a seriously fuzzy fuzz then look elsewhere (it doesn't go super-fuzzy) but it's a clever pedal that works well in a band with guitars. You really need to try it in a rehearsal to appreciate what a good design it is.

I've got the Fender Sublime, you can get similar sounds out of the Bass Big Muff. I know you said no muffs, but you should try this one, it's much more low gain and vintage sounding, with bags of low end. In dry mode it blends in clean signal so doesn't take over your sound, although there is a problem of a volume boost in this mode, but it sounds so good that I might try modding it. The Fender has a built in blend to retain low end and note clarity, so maybe you should either look at getting a separate blender or checking out fuzz pedals with a blend built in. In which case check out the Wounded Paw Attack Goat and Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B too!

Mammoth, Mastotron, Blowtorch etc, sound a bit too heavy and synthy perhaps for what you're after, Cameltoe.

without question - i'd say the electronix crossdrive. it's really vintagey sounding, v.bassey, and mxr-sized.

have a look on [url="http://musicelectronix.com/clerance-sale-great-deals"]their website[/url], they're selling off some ex-demo stock, and a barely used crossdrive is going for $84.99.

i have one of these pedals, and it's awesome, exactly what you're after IMO

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='813364' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:23 AM']I've got the Fender Sublime, you can get similar sounds out of the Bass Big Muff. I know you said no muffs, but you should try this one, it's much more low gain and vintage sounding, with bags of low end. In dry mode it blends in clean signal so doesn't take over your sound, although there is a problem of a volume boost in this mode, but it sounds so good that I might try modding it. The Fender has a built in blend to retain low end and note clarity, so maybe you should either look at getting a separate blender or checking out fuzz pedals with a blend built in. In which case check out the Wounded Paw Attack Goat and Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B too!

Mammoth, Mastotron, Blowtorch etc, sound a bit too heavy and synthy perhaps for what you're after, Cameltoe.[/quote]

Yeah you're selling it- I wish I could afford it right now! It's still gonna be a bit large I reckon, but unless I can find anything else close sounding but smaller....

I do like the electronix crossdrive though