Why become a member? ×

That Trace Elliot tone

Kohpnyn

i thought it was a lot to do with the two trace elliot preshapes

preshape one: a boost to the lows (50Hz) and highs (2-5kHz) and a slight cut in the middle (400Hz)

preshape two: a more subtle boost in the mids and a broader boost in the lows.

Edited by ahpook

I played TE gear for over 20 years, and I have to say that I have always been bemused by what people call "the TE sound". With either a 7, 11 or 12 band graphic they are very versatile amps and I wouldn't say that they had a "sound" at all! Anything from reggae thump to crystalline slappy tones, grind, fretless mwaah, middly honk... I could get it all out of one amp head!

I'm not sure that their cabs were ever quite up to the same standard as the amps though, so maybe they are responsible for the negative vibe that some people seem to have?

I found my TE gear to be reliable and robust. I never had any complaints about my tone - other than "turn it down"!!

If you've never tried TE gear, and the prices are good - how can you go wrong? Best advice is to give it a try yourself. If you like what you see and hear, buy some!