Why become a member? ×

Have I bought the right thing?

dirtylittleherbert

Just bought this item

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160422099713"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=160422099713[/url]

To match the LG 1000, am I right in thinking this will be OK? It's my first ever rig and I know its probs not the highest quality but I needed something cheap and I reckon I've got meself a bargain as Ididn't pay £150

As the LG is split into 2x500 at 4ohms will I be able to add another 8 ohm cab at a later date? Think I read on here it pumps out 370 watts at 8ohms will the cab be ok?

Sorry for the rambling I'm a little drunk and a little excited.

[quote name='dirtylittleherbert' post='808900' date='Apr 16 2010, 08:58 PM']Just bought this item

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160422099713"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=160422099713[/url]

To match the LG 1000, am I right in thinking this will be OK? It's my first ever rig and I know its probs not the highest quality but I needed something cheap and I reckon I've got meself a bargain as Ididn't pay £150

As the LG is split into 2x500 at 4ohms will I be able to add another 8 ohm cab at a later date? Think I read on here it pumps out 370 watts at 8ohms will the cab be ok?

Sorry for the rambling I'm a little drunk and a little excited.[/quote]

Yep, a cabinet rated at 350W RMS will be fine being fed with an amplifier that can drive 370W RMS into an 8 Ohms load. It may be 20W more - but, the likelyhood of being able to play the amp constantly at 350W RMS is ..well.. you won't :)

You can add a second 8Ohm cabinet to that channel at a later date. Thus the amp will be able to deal it the full 500W from said channel. You then have the option of doing exactly the same on the *other* channel: two 8 ohm cabinets will give you a 4 Ohm load on that channel too. Thus, you'll be making use of the full 1000W RMS - and it will go in to 4 cabinets. I think that would possibly upset your guitarist - but I think it would deliver some air movement!

You can of course opt for ONE 4 Ohm cabinet per channel. I don't know if the LG1000 is 'bridgeable'. I suspect not, so I won't go in to that right now!

[quote name='dood' post='808913' date='Apr 16 2010, 09:18 PM']Yep, a cabinet rated at 350W RMS will be fine being fed with an amplifier that can drive 370W RMS into an 8 Ohms load. It may be 20W more - but, the likelyhood of being able to play the amp constantly at 350W RMS is ..well.. you won't :)

You can add a second 8Ohm cabinet to that channel at a later date. Thus the amp will be able to deal it the full 500W from said channel. You then have the option of doing exactly the same on the *other* channel: two 8 ohm cabinets will give you a 4 Ohm load on that channel too. Thus, you'll be making use of the full 1000W RMS - and it will go in to 4 cabinets. I think that would possibly upset your guitarist - but I think it would deliver some air movement!

You can of course opt for ONE 4 Ohm cabinet per channel. I don't know if the LG1000 is 'bridgeable'. I suspect not, so I won't go in to that right now![/quote]

That is like Andy Rourke to my ears pal, and my guitarist won't say nothing my instrument is bigger than his.

Thanks.

[quote name='dood' post='808913' date='Apr 16 2010, 09:18 PM']You can add a second 8Ohm cabinet to that channel at a later date.[/quote]

You could, but you'd be better off to add another cabinet (8 ohm or 4 ohm, it won't matter much) to the second channel - that'll give you more bang per buck.

LG1000s aren't bridgeable, they are two separate 500 W into 4 Ohms units.

[quote name='dood' post='808913' date='Apr 16 2010, 08:18 PM']Yep, a cabinet rated at 350W RMS will be fine being fed with an amplifier that can drive 370W RMS into an 8 Ohms load. It may be 20W more - but, the likelyhood of being able to play the amp constantly at 350W RMS is ..well.. you won't :)

You can of course opt for ONE 4 Ohm cabinet per channel. I don't know if the LG1000 is 'bridgeable'. I suspect not, so I won't go in to that right now![/quote]
I run 900W through my 300W 2x10, and so long as I don't physically allow the drivers to jump out of the cab, its all good :rolleyes:

[quote name='dirtylittleherbert' post='809750' date='Apr 17 2010, 07:22 PM']What are 4x10's usually like for size? I don't mind if theyre heavy but I'm gonna need to fit them in my boot. I drive a VW Passat.[/quote]

The old Trace 4x10's are chuffin MASSIVE and you'd struggle to get one into an estate car (well... almost :rolleyes: ), whereas some modern 4x10's are literally 'just' big enough to fit the speakers on the front baffle board (22"x22") so you'd need to try before you buy and don't be fooled into getting the basic dimensions because sometimes the laws of physics don't work when you try to fit gear into your car! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='809784' date='Apr 17 2010, 07:46 PM']The old Trace 4x10's are chuffin MASSIVE and you'd struggle to get one into an estate car (well... almost :rolleyes: ), whereas some modern 4x10's are literally 'just' big enough to fit the speakers on the front baffle board (22"x22") so you'd need to try before you buy and don't be fooled into getting the basic dimensions because sometimes the laws of physics don't work when you try to fit gear into your car! :)[/quote]

Cheers mate. I'll be gutted if I get there and they don't fit I'll have to tell him its a no can do.

[quote name='dirtylittleherbert' post='811131' date='Apr 19 2010, 10:43 AM']Well I bought the cab, the sound is not as huge as I thought it would be. Wonder if the battery needs replacing in my Stingray.[/quote]

Is it just the volume that seems a little lacking? A few people have commented that the Little Giants sound a little quiet for their wattage so perhaps that is your answer.

Had a chance to use it in a band situation yet?

[quote name='Musky' post='812051' date='Apr 19 2010, 11:02 PM']Is it just the volume that seems a little lacking? A few people have commented that the Little Giants sound a little quiet for their wattage so perhaps that is your answer.

Had a chance to use it in a band situation yet?[/quote]

Yeah i heard that too, particularly about the 350w version. You'd think one side of the LG1000 @ 500w would still be sufficient though
I remember some folk on here also saying that the pre stage is a little weak, that might have something to do with it.

There was a post a while ago that said an amp tech built a booster to go between the pre and power amps. In this thread:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51313&hl=lg+pre+amp"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=lg+pre+amp[/url]

I have a LG1000 and the pre section is a little weak- though if you use, say a Sansamp bass driver you can really boost the pre section which will give a lot more volume. I also use 2X 4ohm cabs so use the full 1000W- though dont really believe it is rated at that- plenty loud enough though- you can also boost the volume by using the EQ

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='812631' date='Apr 20 2010, 03:05 PM']I have a LG1000 and the pre section is a little weak- though if you use, say a Sansamp bass driver you can really boost the pre section which will give a lot more volume. I also use 2X 4ohm cabs so use the full 1000W- though dont really believe it is rated at that- plenty loud enough though- you can also boost the volume by using the EQ

Bob[/quote]

Would you say it's louder than the LMII Bob?

I know it's hard to compare as you'll be using different cabs with each due to the output configuration, but does it seem like it's got more headroom when pushed?