Why become a member? ×

Quick string spacing question

Musicman20

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='805550' date='Apr 13 2010, 11:42 PM']Yes, you're correct Gareth. The Stingray 5 is 17.5mm. The Warwick 5's are usually very narrow spacing - Something like 15mm. Not nice, anyway.[/quote]

You need a better ruler :)
The standard spacing is 17mm (Corvette, Thumb, Streamer LX) and Streamer Stage 1 5's are 20mm. You can specify a narrow spacing from the custom shop
The only bass I have ever come across with a stock 15mm spacing is a Peavey Cirrus 6-string.

Not based on the twenty plus Warwicks I've had over the years.
Also bear in mind that the Warwick bridge has spacing adjustment, meaning a couple of mm either way.
I've got one 5er set up at 16mm for pick playing (just that little bit easier) and my Stage One 5 sits at 20mm for easier Fender-feeling fingerstyle.

[quote name='obbm' post='805551' date='Apr 13 2010, 11:42 PM']My SR5 is 17mm at the bridge, 8.5mm at the nut[/quote]

Just measured mine using some digital calipers (how anal is that) and string centre [B] to centre [G] at bridge is 70mm which is 17.5mm spacing. Same measurement at nut is 38mm which is 9.5mm spacing.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='Musicman20' post='806350' date='Apr 14 2010, 06:18 PM']Cheers

Anyone know what the Warwick 5s are at the nut? Again, im hoping the Ray 5s have more space.[/quote]

MM20......the Ray5 spacing is perfect, trust me I'm a doctor.............buy one.

Normal nut spacing is 45mm for a 5, 47mm for broadspaced. I've got one of each on the wall :)
Spacing at the bridge is definitely 20mm for broadspaced, however with the side to side adjusment I can get my Jazzman from 16.5 to 18.5mm.
One factor I have always liked about Warwicks is the adjustability - nut, bridge, no screws on the truss or electrics cavities.
Broadspacing is standard on the Stage One 5 and 6 only - you can specify it on the LX5 and LX6, any other model would be a custom shop order.
I'm also starting to be convinced that the reasons why Warwick B's are so tight feeling and sounding are 1) angled back headstock and tailpiece much lower than the bridge and 2) wenge boards.
All 3 of mine have different neck woods, body woods an electronics, yet they all have that same punch at the bottom end.