Why become a member? ×

Tuning down to E flat

peteb

I normally play in standard ('E') tuning and have all my basses play & sound just as I want them to - however, I'm doing a dep for another band in a few weeks and they tune down to E flat!

The problem is that I've always struggled on the odd occasions that I have had to tune down - somehow I just can’t get the bass to have the right feel or play as well

Has anyone any suggestions on how set up a bass to get the same string tension / tautness, hints on tweaking the set up, are there any other strings that have more tension (all my basses are strung with Elites Stadiums 105 - 45), changes to EQ, etc??

Any helpful tips are very welcome!!

Cheers - Pete

my old blues band used to tune to E flat (the guitarist was convinced he was SRV).
i was playing Fender Jazz's at the time & they only required minor adjustments,slacken the truss rod a tad (1/4 turn maybee not much) & a slightly highter action to make up for the lower string tension.
a bit of a pain in the arse but no major problem.

I have a Jazz with a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats that I had set up in standard tuning, which I detuned to Eb a few months ago, and I've had no trouble at all with the action or the truss rod. If you're having problems I would think it might be to do with the strings you're using, maybe you need a higher tension string?

[quote name='artisan' post='792275' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:38 PM']i suppose it depends on the bass in question,i was playing mainly a US 62 reissue jazz with a neck made out of blu-tak which was horrible for neck stability.[/quote]

Ah yea, those blu-tac necks need a double strip of duck tape down the back of neck.. triple if its a 5er.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='792493' date='Mar 31 2010, 09:14 PM']I think you just have to give those twiddy things on the headstock a bit of a twist. Mine was in tune when I bought it though so I'm not 100% sure. :)[/quote]

May I also suggest a tuner, one of those electronic jobs or something similar. Tuning forks are so yesterday. :rolleyes:

[quote name='artisan' post='792214' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:47 PM']my old blues band used to tune to E flat (the guitarist was convinced he was SRV).
i was playing Fender Jazz's at the time & they only required minor adjustments,slacken the truss rod a tad (1/4 turn maybee not much) & a slightly highter action to make up for the lower string tension.
a bit of a pain in the arse but no major problem.[/quote]
Yep.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='792235' date='Mar 31 2010, 06:01 PM']I have a Jazz with a set of La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats that I had set up in standard tuning, which I detuned to Eb a few months ago, and I've had no trouble at all with the action or the truss rod. If you're having problems I would think it might be to do with the strings you're using, maybe you need a higher tension string?[/quote]
Any suggestions for higher tension (roundwound) strings??