Why become a member? ×

Strap locks

I'm gigging my Thumb a fair bit now and I'm terrified I'll drop it one day, so I want some strap locks. It's just got strap buttons at the moment, I suppose that's what came with them at the time.

Any suggestions for reliable, not annoying, preferably minimally-invasive in terms of installation, straplocks, in black?

I use [url="http://strap-locks.com/hp135050/Security-Locks.htm?ITServ=CY6951ebaaX127afb8e8f4XY7f3e"]Schaller strap locks[/url]. One of my basses has had them one for about 18 years, though they did need replacing about 3 years ago.

+ 1 schallar strap locks. all my basses have them. my main bass is a Warwick corvette $$ 5 string.

Actually if you bought your Warwick new and within the last 8 years you should have got a gig bag and a set of strap locks. have a good scrabble in all of the gig bag pockets. i found mine about 3 months ago in my gig bag. I've had the bass for 5 years although never used the gig bag. i have a gator hard case for instead.

Only other bit of advice is to use the screws already in the bass rather than those coming in the strap lock kit.

I got Schallers on at the moment...and really hate them. Yes my bass won't fall off the strap but their a bit too fiddley when I want to take the strap off and I lose patience with them. Looking for replacements so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Does your Thumb bass have the Schaller strap pins installed or does it have standard flared strap pins? If it is a NT Thumb then it should have the locking pins in which case you just need the bits for the strap, I have a black or gold set you can buy if that is all you require... of course if it is a BO bass it may well have 'normal' strap buttons! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='795591' date='Apr 4 2010, 11:41 AM']Does your Thumb bass have the Schaller strap pins installed or does it have standard flared strap pins? If it is a NT Thumb then it should have the locking pins in which case you just need the bits for the strap,[/quote]

Haha. I'd never looked properly before but yes the pins are the Schaller ones that mate to their locking slide-on bit thingy. I'd always just assumed they were normal flared strap buttons.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='796537' date='Apr 5 2010, 01:51 PM']Haha. I'd never looked properly before but yes the pins are the Schaller ones that mate to their locking slide-on bit thingy. I'd always just assumed they were normal flared strap buttons.[/quote]

Stick an image up here and I'll double check if it is the same as the strap buttons that I have available. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='796650' date='Apr 5 2010, 03:15 PM']Stick an image up here and I'll double check if it is the same as the strap buttons that I have available. :)[/quote]

They are exactly like the studdy part in [url="http://www.americanmusic.com/images/XL/460012XL.jpg"]this photo[/url]. The screw holding them in appears to have a hex bolt head rather than a normal screw head. Weird.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='796897' date='Apr 5 2010, 08:15 PM']The screw holding them in appears to have a hex bolt head rather than a normal screw head. Weird.[/quote]

The hex bolt head is perfectly normal for Warwick basses, they don't all have but it isn't uncommon. Do you need the locks?

I've just been looking into these, ended up with Schallers. I considered two other types:
Jim Dunlop, pretty thin and cheap looking for their price, Ernie-Ball, looked very neat but required drilling for a larger screw. Didn't want to drill a 30 year old bass.

The final seller was the gap between the body and the strap. On both these, particularly the E-B, the strap is held a good 20mm from the body meaning a lot of leverage on the screw whereas on the Schallers the gap between the strap and the body is small.

I don't intend taking the strap off very often but they're dead easy to use anyway. Comes in black too!