Why become a member? ×

Berg 12s

Musicman20

WHen I bought my HT/EX112ER Bergs I tried the AE112's. To me the HT/EX were smoother, went deeper, were more controlled and had a better integrated/sweeter treble. Also, being front ported they are not going to be as sensitive to stage positioning as the rear ported AE cabs. They are abould 10lbs heavier (for the HT) but the weight isn't a problem as the HT/EX are compact and easy enough to carry. Take a trip to Bass Direct and compare them yourself - which is what I did. It might be that you prefer the more aggressive sound of the AE.

I preferred the sound of the AE but its been over a year now and I can't remember why exactly! The weight factor was another big plus as far as I'm concerned. Gigged it every weekend for about 14 months now without any problem at all. In fact I added a second AE112 about 6 months ago to give me a really versatile, compact set up.

Like Alan says, have a trip to Bass Direct and try them side by side - take your own amp though.

I'll have to try an HT112ER again. It was a couple of years ago now but I can't remember any big difference when I initially tried out the HT and AE cabs with my Thunderfunk. I use both AE cabs for 99% of my gigs these days so I'm not really up on the pros and cons of each cab, but together they still make me smile.

If I could I would change the fragile finish and the handles but the sound is just great.

I went for the AE's but often pull the tweeters out as I found them a bit too bright for my ears.

Stage positioning with those rear ports can be an issue (although some people like the fact that they tend to accentuate the bass more). I stick mine on an Auralex Gramma pad & have never had any problems.

In the end it was the weight that swung it for me, the extra heft of the HT's meant the AE's were much easier for me to lug around.

Haven't had any issues with the finish but mine did come with fitted covers :)

Thanks for the advice so far! I have actually tested them both before but I still can't see which would work best!

The ER weight isn't an issue really...it's more which sounds fuller I guess.

What is tempting me to the ERs is the more sweeter horn and the fact they arent as fragile. The AE line looks very well made but like my TC cabs i'd be worried about scuffing them ESP considering the cost.

[quote name='Toasted' post='789250' date='Mar 29 2010, 11:16 AM']I have the IP112ER and EX112ER. They're great.[/quote]

Whoops I didnt even mention the IPs. If I had the money I would opt for an IP and pre...but I think its going to be passive cabs. How are you finding the EX112ER?

I can do without another carpet cab, tbh... that can rough up as much as anything IME, and there isn't much of a way back from that if it happens. Not too fussed about the plastic corners, or the strap handle either as a) it is in the wrong place and :) should be a sprung loaded handle on the side anyway....IMO. You can say the same about the handle on the AE 12 though

But I think the AE looks neat and compact and with covers you should be able to protect it. If you use a board or mat that should help as well.

THE KEY HOWEVER..is the sound you are going to get from it and maybe what you pair it with.

As far I can research...the AE is the box with more mids than the warmer HT. Some say the HT is better at low end but I can't really get to the bottom of this as the AE is focused down there as well. I assume using two together will make the bottom end blossom but I fancy a tighter or even harsher sound close to me...for monitoring exactly what I am playing..and then let it bloom a few mtrs away.

I am currently using a 2x10 and 1x15 which sounds BIG up close... but am quickly tiring of that, tbh. It never sounds boomy to me though, but...???

I am almost certain to go 2 AE and let the amp work a bit harder if need be..but the amp doesn't lack lows in itself so again, my thinking on the AE 12.

I don't know if it is fair to sum up the 2 types as

HT=vintage vibe
and AE=more modern
...typically.

I guess a lot of listening is going to be required.

Maybe more opinions and reference to TB might get you closer to a decision.

And another thing 12 or 2x10 :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Musicman20' post='789283' date='Mar 29 2010, 12:06 PM']Whoops I didnt even mention the IPs. If I had the money I would opt for an IP and pre...but I think its going to be passive cabs. How are you finding the EX112ER?[/quote]

I only ever use it with the IP112ER, so it's not really a great comparison. I really like the sound. It really feels like you get out what you put in. Plenty of clarity, low distortion and lots of volume.