Why become a member? ×

CIJ Jazz Satin Walnut Finish - DEAL DONE - THIS HAS NOW GONE

Starless

************* DEAL DONE - NO LONGER AVAILABLE ****************

Surplus to requirements, and looking too good to leave hanging on the wall, this is a Fender Japan 'Craft Shop' '62 re-issue Jazz in a walnut matt/satin finish. According to the paperwork this is a 'JB62-73 MWN'. I have been trying to find reference to an exact (or even similar) example of this model on t'interweb, but so far have drawn a blank. There is a similar model available (JB62-WAL) but this has a 'normal' high-gloss finish. The bass here is the only example I have ever seen of a 'MWN' matt/satin finish (unless someone is hoarding a stack of them in a garage in Rotherham).

With one exception, the woodwork is immaculate, un-marked, completely blemish and ding-free. There is a nick at the neck-pocket leading into a small surface crack. I have highlighted this in the photos below, and have also taken snaps under different lighting conditions as the colour of the bass seems to change between daylight, tungsten, fluorescent etc etc, but whatever the lighting it looks like it has been dipped in chocolate.

This is not only one for those 'matching headstock' fanatics, but anyone who drools at 'same-all-over' finishes. It plays identically to my bog standard CIJ 62 3TS (although the satin neck is a bit of a treat compared to the normal shiny one). One thing it doesn't have is the external earth strip from bridge to pickup, and the saddles are smooth single groove jobs as opposed to the spiral saddles on my 3TS re-issue.

Although it may look like it in the pictures, the trimmings aren't quite all black. The pickguard and control plate are black, but the bridge, saddles, strap buttons (including the 3rd button on the back of the headstock) and the neck screw plate are all a kind of swirly greeny kind of gunmetally sort of finish. The tuners - I can't decide...somewhere between black and swirly greeny kind of gunmetally sort of finish. Difficult to tell in different lighting conditions.

Now for the eye-candy bit:

The following pic highlights the crack at the side of the neck pocket, it looks as if the finish has been applied too thickly here and the tight-fitting neck has 'pushed' the excess back out again. It has been like this since I got the bass last year, and hasn't changed in that time. I think a property surveyor would use the term 'long-standing, not progressive'.

I have a few more pictures which I will put in the next post (there's a limit of 10 pics on the site).

So, how much.... taking into account the blemish, the current cost of CIJ basses and the increasing difficulty (and cost) of getting Fender Japan gear over here in the first place, and not forgetting that I can't find another example of this one anywhere, so how's about £550 for this rarity?
The bad news news is I am north of Aberdeen, so chances for try-before-you-buy or cash-on-collection are limited. I can ship the bass in the (brand new) Fender gig-bag and original overseas packaging that it came in. It came from Japan, so should make it to Rotherham OK. Buyer to arrange and pay for a courier of their choice.

More pics coming up.... Edited by Starless

[quote name='theosd' post='794351' date='Apr 2 2010, 03:19 PM']Haha, you know my position![/quote]

Yes, and I am just saving you from yourself. You may want it, but you gave me an explicit instruction to not sell it to you (although you could test my breaking point by rattling my inbox with an offer....)

[quote name='Starless' post='796128' date='Apr 4 2010, 11:43 PM']Yes, and I am just saving you from yourself. You may want it, but you gave me an explicit instruction to not sell it to you (although you could test my breaking point by rattling my inbox with an offer....)[/quote]

Rather! :)

I have a CIJ 1985/6 power jazz bass special, in white.

Has a Seymour quarter pounder P installed put will send the original, it's been gigged a few times in it's 25 year life and as a result it's got a more than a few injuries non are major or deepen into the wood.

Would trade and Could put in some cash to sweeten the deal?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Commando Jack' post='841738' date='May 19 2010, 09:36 AM']How much does it weigh all packaged up for those of us trying to price a courier?[/quote]

Bass + Bag = 10lbs
Carton + packing = 8lbs

Dimensions = 48" x 23" x 9.5"

As a rough guide (via 'Parcel2Go' website), Home Delivery Network quotes £17 for this weight and dimensions (compensation/insurance would be extra).

Hope this helps.

Just noticed that Squire do a Jazz bass in this Walnut Satin Colour but it looks like Fender don't do anything in this colour. I so love this Walnut colour and gutted I missed this one. Half tempted to buy the Squire model just for the body and then pimp it with a fretless Fender neck and a set of Barts. Don't really want to do this but as Fender don't seem to do this colour and the CIJ model is super rare, not really sure if I have any other options. Bugger :)