Why become a member? ×

Zon Sonus 6 String - For Sale or Trade for a Jazz bass.

Soliloquy

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='797139' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:50 AM']Whats the width at the nut? Hows the B string?[/quote]

The neck width at the nut is approximately 53mm, at the 1st fret it's approximately 55mm and it's 72mm at the 12th fret.

The B string is perfect, it compares to my Modulus Q6 which is 35" scale.

[quote name='k-sad' post='797305' date='Apr 6 2010, 10:56 AM']I think the previous owner put up a youtube vid where he plays it...
Lots of "jacoesque" tone as i remembered... B looked tight...
Was it this one?

(mp)[/quote]

I just did a video of me playing Jaco's 'Teentown'. You can get quite a good approximation of his sound with the right EQ settings. I'll post a link to it when I can find the cable to connect my camera to my computer :) .

I'm seriously thinking of withdrawing this. I'll be selling my Wal later this month, so I can wait 'til then and buy a jazz.

Hi,

I can chime in on this as it's my old bass that I brought over from the States. The Zon boys remember this one as a 'good one' FYI...

I had Martin Petersen install an ebony ramp which is very nice if you like that sort of thing. String spacing is 16.5mm and very good for fingerstyle wailing a la Gwizdala etc and chordal stuff. Slap tone is huge and the B is deep and taut. It is a bass that you will have to adapt your style for if you are used to 19mm spacing but it is WORTH IT. You also don't have to hit it so hard to make a good noise if you get what I mean.

This is a great bass and I only sold it because I decided to play more db (and I bought a Bravewood :)) - that it is for sale surprises me as these things are really prized. They are light, well balanced, have low (buzz free) action and can produce a very wide number of tones. If Barts aren't your thing, change them out as the bass plays itself and is really, really well designed. These basses are what I would describe as 'nervy' - they can underperform if you tweak them badly, but get it right and they are f**king immense.

The area where this shines is if you want infinite sustain on chords in the upper register and big punchy lo mids...Todd Johnson had a Sonus tweaked for his stuff but this was the template so if you like that sort of stuff, go for it. Ed Friedland, by the way, just picked a TJ6 up for his jazz stuff. He reviews basses for a living and is very picky...:rolleyes:

I would have this back like a shot, really...durrr, must check bank account...

N

Todd Johnson demo here, this is what the bass sounds like...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjjq-p2_qRM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjjq-p2_qRM[/url]

Edited by Cairobill

I studied with Todd very briefly a couple of years ago, that's kind of why I decided to get a Zon bass. I loved the sound and playability of his bass when I played it. I'm just not sure that it's 100% right for me though, hence the trade/sale advert.

I think it's one of those basses that it is a real precision tool, it will take you all the way if you want to do the jazz/chordal thing ...I miss it...

N

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='798182' date='Apr 6 2010, 11:10 PM']I studied with Todd very briefly a couple of years ago, that's kind of why I decided to get a Zon bass. I loved the sound and playability of his bass when I played it. I'm just not sure that it's 100% right for me though, hence the trade/sale advert.[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='787910' date='Mar 27 2010, 04:05 PM']Now for sale or trade.

For trades I really want a 'super jazz', ie a Sadowsky or a Sei, preferably a 5 string mode, Marcus Miller jazz.

I will consider trades for most quality 5 string basses, Zon, Status, Overwater, MTD, F-Bass, Sadowsky, Sei, Alembic etc.

I can add cash if necessary.

The bass is in really great condition.

It has a fantastic low action, and features an ash body with spalted maple facing. Bartolini custom pickups and it has a McKeen preamp which was installed by a previous owner.

It's 34" scale and is currently strung with DR Lo-rider nickels.

It also has a removable ramp that was made for it, and has been removed :) it attaches with double sided sticky tape.

Sale price is £1350 plus shipping or you can collect it.[/quote]
would you be interested in a 5 string fretless? ,dhp.

• 3 weeks later...