Why become a member? ×

Does an 8ohm running at 500w bass amp head exist?

coffee_king

Hey Guys
Does anyone know if an 8ohm running at 500w bass amp head exists?
I have a 4x10 Ampeg SVT410HE that I need a new amp head for. I'm sick to death of my ASHDOWN 500w head breaking down on me.
To be honest I'm not all that great with ohms etc, no matter how many times its explained to me.
The rear of the Ampeg cab states:-
8ohms 500w

So I want (if it exists) a 500w head at 8ohms, and would that be suitable for my Ampeg cab?

Any ideas?

cheers
Shippo

Edited by shippo

Eden Nemesis NE700.

[url="http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/enseries/heads/en700.aspx"]http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/e...eads/en700.aspx[/url]

I had a slightly older NA650 and it was one of the best amps I've ever owned.

You can't go wrong.

D.

The GK 1001RB-II runs at 460w at 8ohms and the GK head/Ampeg Cab is a pretty popular combination.

In terms of what you're looking for, have a look at the back of your cab. If it's 500w at 8ohms, ideally you want something a bit under 500w driving it. I suspect that an Ampeg 410 is going to be a fair bit over 500w though so I wouldn't worry too much about what wattage the head is unless it's a really high powered one (even then, there's a good chance that the cab will be higher rated at 8ohms).

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='786696' date='Mar 26 2010, 10:20 AM']Bear in mind there is no need to 'match watts', impedance (ohms) is the important bit.[/quote]

True, but I've found with my experience of the BF Compact that it wants more power than my GK can give it. As a result, it sounds really quite poor at gig volumes, it's not the cabs fault per se, it just needs more beef!

Cheers,
James

Hi Shippo, the difference between 300 watts and 500 watts is not as big as you would think. A 500 watt amp with your cab will sound fine, even though it'll be putting out approx 300 watts into 8 ohm. I have done some loud gigs with mad guitarists and 300 watts worked well with my 8 ohm 410.

In my view, the best way to get extra volume is to add a second cab. You’ll get some extra volume out of running one cab and an amp at 4 ohms but a second cab will give you more volume [i]and[/i] improve your tone.

Hartke LH1000, running bridged: 750 Watts @ 8 ohms, 1100 Watts @ 4 ohms

As other, far wiser men have said, you match up ohm ratings with your eyes, and wattage with your ears. Don't be afraid of having an amp that can pump out more watts than your cab says it can cope with - if something starts sounding bad, turn the volume down until it's nice again.

Edited by Daquifsta