Why become a member? ×

Dawsons music

daz

Anyone know if [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squire_classic_vibe_jazz_bass_60s_olympic_white.html"] Dawsons music[/url] does price matching? Got ta have one of those Squier Jazz CV bases, and obviously the cheaper the better. The price there is £286, but Guitar Amp Keyboard have them for £248. Got to get a brand new one for that price. Do they have one in a colour other than Olympic white though? Thats all i see anywhere.

I am thinking of the Chester branch, though they also have stores in; Altrincham, Bangor, Basingstoke, Liverpool, Manchester, Reading, Stockport & Warrington

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='786032' date='Mar 25 2010, 04:54 PM']Anyone know if [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squire_classic_vibe_jazz_bass_60s_olympic_white.html"] Dawsons music[/url] does price matching? Got ta have one of those Squier CV bases, and obviously the cheaper the better. The price there is £286, but Guitar Amp Keyboard have them for £248. Got to get a brand new one for that price. Do they have one in a colour other than Olympic white though? Thats all i see anywhere.

I am thinking of the Chester branch, though they also have stores in; Altrincham, Bangor, Basingstoke, Liverpool, Manchester, Reading, Stockport & Warrington[/quote]

I'd phone them and ask. But I have had a retailer in the Midlands say they will only price match online stores if the online store actually has the item in stock and immediately available for delivery. I guess that's fair enough as the "real life" store has to carry the stock.

If you can get a CV Jazz for £248 new that's a great deal. I think they have historically only been in white, but I seem to remember a thread on here suggesting others were being brought out?

[quote name='daz' post='786032' date='Mar 25 2010, 04:54 PM']Do they have one in a colour other than Olympic white though?[/quote]

The CV jazz is only available in that colour, yes. There are also two CV precisions available - a 50s style one in LPB and a 60s style one in sonic blue.

You can also get the CV jazz from soundslive for £248 - [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Classic-Vibe-Jazz-Bass-60s~ID~9342.asp"]here[/url].

S.P.

I am in town tomorrow so i will ask them. just wondered if anyone here had actually done a price match with Dawsons. ? also does anyone know what strings they come with as stock ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='786101' date='Mar 25 2010, 05:47 PM']I am in town tomorrow so i will ask them. just wondered if anyone here had actually done a price match with Dawsons. ? also [b]does anyone know what strings they come with as stock [/b]?[/quote]
According to the Squier site, they come with Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS, 45-100, but based on the multi-coloured ends there's a theory going around that they actually come with D'Addarios of a similar guage. Whatever they are, they're definitely rounds!!! :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='786162' date='Mar 25 2010, 06:39 PM']I've had stuff price matched in the Reading store but they have tightened up since the credit crunch & they wouldn't do it last time[/quote]

Really? Thats strange i'd have thought they'd be more desperate for your business at the moment? Although its not like i'm in London or somesuch with a hundred music stores in a 10 mile radius all competing. Mind you, they are hard to work out. In the three times i have been in the Chester store i have twice heard them knock £20 and £30 of a new guitar for a minute rub mark, (not a scratch) one on the guitar, the other time on the case, and both times it was the guy behind the counter who offered the discount without the buyers even mentioning anything?!

Anywho i will ask them and if they say no i'll just breeze back out again, see what they say. Mind you i would have done that anyway being as i am not buying for a few weeks :)

Edited by daz

Me too, but no. I helped get £80 off my singer's cheapie Epiphone about 18 months ago but they would not budge on my last 2 purchases - the far more expensive USA P-bass (reason - it was heavily discounted already) & a MIJ Jag bass (credit crunch was the reason - even when I mentioned a mere £30 difference in a shop I'd been to that morning)

Ring them and talk to them, or even better go and see them.

They'll do their best to help you out, and you try the one you get - I always cringe when paying for stuff i've not seen.

Even if they only offer to split the difference, you have a face/person/name to deal with - should you need any help.

"Credit Crunch" is a poor answer though, i work in the Manchester shop and that really isn't a phrase i'd use.

Edited by AndyTravis

at the end of the day, if they can offer you it at that price whilst still being able to maintain a physical premises, staff to help you and look after you after you walk out of the shop then they will - simple as that.

An online store needs a warehouse, computer system and a couple of guys to pick and arrange couriers to deliver items to you (alright there may be more but you get the idea) they don't need to know anything about what they are selling or how to set instruments up. They could pay a guy to sit at home and answer techie questions by email.

I'm happy buying online as I generally do my homework but more recently I prefer the situation where I can call the person I am buying my gear from and get it delivered, still sight unseen and slightly more expensive, than just pressing a button and hoping for the best as I know I can pick up the phone if there's a problem.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='786064' date='Mar 25 2010, 05:27 PM']The CV jazz is only available in that colour, yes. There are also two CV precisions available - a 50s style one in LPB and a 60s style one in sonic blue.[/quote]

Although the Biffy Clyro model comes in a really nice Lake Placid Blue. It's a bit dearer to the standard
white model though.

[quote name='Doddy' post='786550' date='Mar 26 2010, 01:37 AM']Although the Biffy Clyro model comes in a really nice Lake Placid Blue. It's a bit dearer to the standard
white model though.[/quote]

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='786064' date='Mar 25 2010, 05:27 PM']The CV jazz is only available in that colour, yes. There are also two CV precisions available - a 50s style one in LPB and a 60s style one in sonic blue.

You can also get the CV jazz from soundslive for £248 - [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Classic-Vibe-Jazz-Bass-60s~ID~9342.asp"]here[/url].

S.P.[/quote]

Ah im not that fussed on colours that id buy a different model because of it. Olympic white it is then. I see Chester's only other music shop has a model in for £269, though i have never bought more than plectrums there. A place called Back Alley music. anyone shopped there ? [url="http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d314_Store_Location_Chester.html"]Back Alley music[/url]

Who or what on earth is Biffy Clyro anywho? When i first saw the James johnson model, i mixed him up for a moment with James Jameson, DOH!! :)

Edited by daz