Why become a member? ×

I sold a couple basses last week so I have a fretted and a fretless now.

xilddx

I've got two basses that I love, no more are necessary and I doubt I'll ever need anything else for live work and recording. My two Warwicks are fabulous, don't know what I was thinking buying and selling so many basses over the last year. I might indulge in a fretless acoustic at some point, and a Whamola, but they will be for fun and stage cracks.

Got home yesterday and spent most of the eveing listening to Tempus Fugit, and dialling in Chris Squire's awesome flanged growly Ric tone into my POD. The result was that my Corvette $$ sounds absolutely ACE! I haven't had so much pleasure from playing at home in a very long time and I can't wait to play along with Tempus Fugit again. I loved playing with a pick again after quite some time and I'm rethinking my bass sound approach completely now.

I very rarely practice or play at home unless I have gigs or recording sessions imminent. I think I lost my inspiration. I felt great after playing for a few hours, I need to keep this up, feeling my confidence and ability growing again.

Sorted!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='The Funk' post='785704' date='Mar 25 2010, 12:17 PM']Glad to hear it. I've been living GAS-free for a while now and it's a great feeling.[/quote]

+1 - my Seis and Jeff Chapman fretless are all so gorgeous I actually get pangs sometimes just choosing which one I want to play on any given day - I did a recording session with my Sei Jazz last weekend and it sounded awesome going direct via a rack compressor - the engineer at one point turned round and said "I just got to say that bass sounds fantastic..." - it really did too :)

The ONLY thing I want now is a 410 - probably an Epifani - but I just don't need one and I can't justify the space it would take up in my flat... next year year maybe :rolleyes:

M

Quite true, Nigel. We spend a lot more time here talking about gear and the gear we'd like to liberate/off load, etc, instead of actually playing the stuff. The GAS usually hits me when I'm in a quieter time as regards playing. Now I'm playing a lot more, I'm sticking to my faithful five. Yes, the odd one or two cheapies may pass through, but the onus is certainly on playing at the moment.

Rich :)

What on earth were you thinking of anyway Nigel? Even thinking of getting rid of those lovely Warwicks, being seduced by whims and fancies, you'd need your head read. :rolleyes: I'm glad to see you've come to your senses.

I really can't afford to GAS :) (... no I'll be fine please don't pity me :lol: ). But it doesn't stop me eyeing up equipment.
However, this week I've really found a new inspiration for playing. I've practiced for probably 6 hours this week, which doesn't sound a lot but, when the kids go to bed at 7.30pm, and by the time Mrs M and I have cleared away the devastation they've caused over the previous 10 hours, there's not a lot of time left in the day. So this week I've started to learn to read music, with some help from Mrs M because she can read the dots, and I'm really getting into it.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='785996' date='Mar 25 2010, 04:23 PM']What on earth were you thinking of anyway Nigel? Even thinking of getting rid of those lovely Warwicks, being seduced by whims and fancies, you'd need your head read. :) I'm glad to see you've come to your senses.[/quote]

I know, I was being a dick wad.

Anyway, I meant to say I bought a MicroKORG synth and it's being delivered tomorrow, so I will start learning the basics of the keyboard which I have wanted to do for a while. And it will give me a bit of motivation to start writing and recording again. How exciting!

[quote name='silddx' post='786084' date='Mar 25 2010, 05:35 PM']Anyway, I meant to say I bought a MicroKORG synth and it's being delivered tomorrow, so I will start learning the basics of the keyboard which I have wanted to do for a while. And it will give me a bit of motivation to start writing and recording again. How exciting![/quote]

Don't lie. You got it so you can play the intro to Earth, Wind & Fire's [i]Let's Groove Tonight[/i]. :) (That's what I would do!)

[quote name='Clarky' post='786139' date='Mar 25 2010, 06:21 PM']The mere mention o f Let's Groove Tonight (or McFadden & Whitehead's Ain't No Stopping Us Now) has a strange effect on this ageing rocker and for a second I am the disco dance king. Wonder why my kids find me embarrassing?[/quote]

A bit before my time, I am quite young after all. Only the other day someone at work shouted, JUVENILE, at me.

[quote name='silddx' post='785666' date='Mar 25 2010, 11:53 AM']Got home yesterday and spent most of the eveing listening to Tempus Fugit, and dialling in Chris Squire's awesome flanged growly Ric tone into my POD.[/quote]

What a fantastic song that is and that flanged bass is awesome. I must say (waits for the hate mail) I always really liked the album Drama, but Tempus Fugit is without doubt THE song of the album for me. But was he using a Ric on the recording ? Not in this vid.

Sorry for going off topic there :)

EDIT: Wasn't there one of these basses for sale on here last year - can't remember it's make.

Ah yes, found it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644&st=0[/url] and Electra bass - sorry back to the original OP :rolleyes:

Edited by purpleblob

I know exactly how you feel. I was unsure for ages what basses to try, let alone buy, and wasn't sure what to do and it was stopping me playing. Nothing felt all that 'right', apart from my lovely MIJ Fender Jazz fretless. Then I got my hands on a T-40 and that was it. No more GAS. No more fussing and 'what ifs'. That's it now. I have two basses that fit all of my needs 100% and I'm back to playing both and enjoying it all!

[quote name='purpleblob' post='786409' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:19 PM']What a fantastic song that is and that flanged bass is awesome. I must say (waits for the hate mail) I always really liked the album Drama, but Tempus Fugit is without doubt THE song of the album for me. But was he using a Ric on the recording ? Not in this vid.

Sorry for going off topic there :)

EDIT: Wasn't there one of these basses for sale on here last year - can't remember it's make.

Ah yes, found it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=67644&st=0[/url] and Electra bass - sorry back to the original OP :rolleyes:[/quote]
You are absolutely right, it's an Electra, gorgeous bass!

A lesson we could all take on board. I have to say that my bass collection has doubled the past two years, from 5 basses to 10, and I had also bought/sold 4 basses during this period as well. This was after a period of around ten years where I was 'happy' with my stock. I'm just hoping that I will settle down and not go through the madness for another ten years!

[quote name='clauster' post='786655' date='Mar 26 2010, 09:41 AM']It's great when you realise what you need ain't it?

Just reached the same point myself. Unfortunately, I heven't got "the one" yet.[/quote]
Yeah, it's funny really. I've had "the one" for about two years, I just didn't realise it! It's so "right" that I think I took it for granted, it's a perfect tool so I didn't notice it was there, if you see what I mean. I can't believe I nearly sold it! :)

I had dreams of getting a bass that had a life and personality of its own, like an old Fender or something, but I've realised that's all bullshit, and what I really need to do is have the equipment that allows me to be me. Now all I've got to do is find "me", and that is going to take a lot of time and patience but I think I may have got enough inspiration back to make a start.

Edited by silddx