Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber questions.

Shockwave

hey up guys and gals.

So a band that i loved when i was growing, then hated turning into an adult and just getting back into now, has a pretty sweet bass tone which i never noticed before!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUSzSProPw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUSzSProPw[/url]

So the gear used was an original Gibson grabber, and a Ampeg SVT Special anniversary head, tuned drop C.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the bass sounds more like the all Maple version or the alder version? I know maple is traditionally brighter and the tone seems pretty bright to me, if i bought an alder one would it produce a similar tone?

Is the Sliding pickup a Single coil? How powerful is the output of the bass? (Could it be compared to an active bass? I dont want to have to keep adjusting levels majorly in live shows when switching)

How would you rate the Grabber II reissues compared to the originals? Is it worth paying the extra cost for a new one compared to the older models? Do they even sound alike? I have the cash to buy a pre-owned one in exactly 3 weeks time (Student loan), whats the going rate for one? I did see one mint example go for ~£450 on ebay a week ago, but is this the normal kinda price?

Above all, does anyone gig with theirs constantly, can you get the tone like the one in the link above reasonably easily?

My current rig setup is.

Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp or a Trace Elliot SMX Pre-amp.
Crown XS-700 (1900 watts mono bridged)
Barefaced 2x15 with tweeter.

Hi,
From reading your post, I would reckon that your best bet would be to try and track down an original as opposed to the RI
They tend to go for 500 or less on ebay and are usually n great condition at that price.
If you are unsure about the RI, try one out locally.
But I dont think they will be as good as the original though, if the core bass tone of this band you like and want to copy is produced by an original Grabber.
I say, get bidding on the bay!
:)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='783002' date='Mar 23 2010, 01:19 AM']hey up guys and gals.

So a band that i loved when i was growing, then hated turning into an adult and just getting back into now, has a pretty sweet bass tone which i never noticed before!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUSzSProPw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUSzSProPw[/url]

So the gear used was an original Gibson grabber, and a Ampeg SVT Special anniversary head, tuned drop C.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the bass sounds more like the all Maple version or the alder version? I know maple is traditionally brighter and the tone seems pretty bright to me, if i bought an alder one would it produce a similar tone?

Is the Sliding pickup a Single coil? How powerful is the output of the bass? (Could it be compared to an active bass? I dont want to have to keep adjusting levels majorly in live shows when switching)

How would you rate the Grabber II reissues compared to the originals? Is it worth paying the extra cost for a new one compared to the older models? Do they even sound alike? I have the cash to buy a pre-owned one in exactly 3 weeks time (Student loan), whats the going rate for one? I did see one mint example go for ~£450 on ebay a week ago, but is this the normal kinda price?

Above all, does anyone gig with theirs constantly, can you get the tone like the one in the link above reasonably easily?

My current rig setup is.

Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp or a Trace Elliot SMX Pre-amp.
Crown XS-700 (1900 watts mono bridged)
Barefaced 2x15 with tweeter.[/quote]

I think I can safely say "gawd knows" on the wood vs. sound front. I think a lot of it is scientific nit picking to be perfectly honest and people convincing themselves that they can hear things. If you want to take it to a microscopic level, no two basses made of the same species of wood will sound exactly the same, wood not being a consistent medium. Johnny Punter isn't going to know a damn thing, that's for sure.

The pickup is a humbucker. I doubt it will compete with an active bass.

In my opinion the Grabber II is an abomination. It's made differently (set neck instead of the bolt on original), it's got the wrong bridge (the originals were a through body Fender style thing, this imposter has a top loaded 3 point bridge), and it totally goes against the point of the Grabber in that it has gone from being Gibson's cheapest bass du jour to one of the most expensive (for the least return). In terms of RRP, only the recently reissued Ripper II outprices it. I don't mind little modern improvements being made here and there in a reissue (the Ripper reissue is a little more authentic in this respect), but the Grabber II takes it far too far and completely misses the point.

I played a Grabber alongside the G-3 and I have to say I wasn't blown away by the Grabber. Fair enough if you're trying to replicate something specific, but the G-3 was far and away the better sounding of the 2 less expensive basses Gibson issued at the time (and if I may say something else controversial, better than the Ripper as well).

[quote name='neepheid' post='783145' date='Mar 23 2010, 10:15 AM']I played a Grabber alongside the G-3 and I have to say I wasn't blown away by the Grabber. Fair enough if you're trying to replicate something specific, but the G-3 was far and away the better sounding of the 2 less expensive basses Gibson issued at the time (and if I may say something else controversial, better than the Ripper as well).[/quote]

I had a grabber 1 many years ago, and my strongest memory is of bad neck dive. :) Did you find this?

Has real implications for giggability iyam.

[quote name='fatback' post='783468' date='Mar 23 2010, 02:20 PM']I had a grabber 1 many years ago, and my strongest memory is of bad neck dive. :) Did you find this?

Has real implications for giggability iyam.[/quote]

No neck dive on my G-3. I use a suede strap, but it still sits up nice and doesn't feel like it's being held up by strap friction. I only played the Grabber sitting down, so I can't comment on it, but I can't see it being radically different from the G-3.

I have an original example in maple. In honesty it's the best sounding bass I own and I have a lot of variation in my armoury (trace t bass, peavey T-40, aria sb, cij 60s jazz) it's s one trick pony though, there's not a massive difference in tone no matter where the pickup is.. With a fresh set of rotos and a sans amp it has the most beautiful warm vintage tone you could imagine through my svt-4 pro. Stick a guv'nor in the mix aswell and you have some seriously dirty death from above 1979 style grit/snarl/growl. However, it's prone to intonation problems in hot venues. If I move around too much (which I do alot) it has a habit of going out of tune (in an average set it does normally go from drop c to drop d to standard 2 or 3 times mind). It's quite a high output pickup, feed back is very easy to achieve and control. It's biggest problem and the only reason I tend to pick my jazz up over it is it's neck dive issues, the body lends itself nicely to agressive playing styles and it's feather light so long sets are no problem.

Finding replacement parts is a ball ache, the bridge is sh*te and no one makes a direct replacement that I know of (if any one does please let me know, the tuners are pretty bomb proof though (schaller bm's I believe).

With all this in mind I say get one. If you don't like it you'll have no problem shifting it to me :) for all it's short fallings it really is a loveable rougue. I'm sure it will bring you great enjoyment.

Gibson have reduced the new ones a bit i've ordered two, should be around £899 ish.

Just a decent alternative to a Fender P Bass really, and the set neck thing really looks like an improvement - On paper anyhow.

The Ripper II was a winner, a really great bass. Like a big Rickenbacker with an attitude problem.

The original needed no improving! I'd love a ripper mind. The grabber definatly has it's place in my heart and deserves it's place in the hall of fame, not as an alternative to a p but of it's own accord, the early greenday records have awesome bass tone and were recorded on a grabber, ed from thrice works magic with his too. Never under estimate the power of the grabber :)

I think they do in one respect - if Gibson had listed them as autherntic reissues, they'd be a bit off the mark. I think calling them MKII gives them carte blanche to muck about with the specs a bit.

I also think there is a perceived 'advantage' to a glued in neck.

I can't believe that Gibson haven't done the following two things...

EB-2D Reissue (Warwick Star Bass II, Lakland Hollowbody, Jack Casady etc).
Gibson Reverse Thunderbird Bass Reissue, or original 60's Reissue Thunderbird (Lakland Decade, Lull thunderbird etc...)

A bonkers, bonkers company.

Edited by AndyTravis

Got the reissues in stock today.

Needed a setup out of the box - but what a COOL bass, a really nice bit of gear!

Sounds like...a PBass on Crack, the sliding pickup makes very little sense, nothing a bit of clever EQ'ng wouldn'y sort if the pickup was in a fixed position.

If you've ever played an Epiphone Jack Casady, it's not dissimilar to this, just without the 'honk' of a hollowbody.

In an ideal world, i'd buy this without a second thought, but i haven't got the money for a new bass ATM.

Should be around £899 though, so they won't be around long.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='789903' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:44 PM']Got the reissues in stock today.

Needed a setup out of the box - but what a COOL bass, a really nice bit of gear!

Sounds like...a PBass on Crack, the sliding pickup makes very little sense, nothing a bit of clever EQ'ng wouldn'y sort if the pickup was in a fixed position.

If you've ever played an Epiphone Jack Casady, it's not dissimilar to this, just without the 'honk' of a hollowbody.

In an ideal world, i'd buy this without a second thought, but i haven't got the money for a new bass ATM.

Should be around £899 though, so they won't be around long.[/quote]

Hmm how would i go about getting one?

I dont really have the money mind!