Why become a member? ×

Playing without a singer...

Eight

I might have finally found some people to play music with, but one small thing that concerns me is that I don't know if anyone is going to be singing. We're just intending to play simple things to start with but I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to follow where you are in a track without any vocals?

Is it just a case of counting bars all the way through?

Cheers.

[quote name='Eight' post='782385' date='Mar 22 2010, 09:31 AM']I might have finally found some people to play music with, but one small thing that concerns me is that I don't know if anyone is going to be singing. We're just intending to play simple things to start with but I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on how to follow where you are in a track without any vocals?

Is it just a case of counting bars all the way through?

Cheers.[/quote]

I personally find that if you listen to the tracks you're going to be playing enough you can get along by feeling your way around. Took me about a week to get it down but now I can play all of my band's songs with just the drummer. Guess you've just got to know the music- counting bars has never worked for me oddly enough, its like I'm thinking about the music too hard and not feeling it. IMO of course :)

Well another option is to sort out samples and have the drummer play to a click....

Dont shoot me down here, a friend of mines band do this, and they have found it has opened up a whole world of creativity and interesting stuff that they couldnt have done with just a singer (or 3). Mind you the drummer plays to a click with no problems at all.

Of course if its covers you're doing that probably isnt much help!

Just a thought but is there a possibility you could take things along the lines of an instrumental outfit whereby someone plays the vocal melody (i.e, guitar, keyboards)?
This should keep everyone on track a lot easier and would be more enjoyable than everyone playing a 'backing track' type of thing -- and counting bar after bar! :rolleyes:
Apologies if this is jumping the gun a bit but you didn't say what sort of line-up it will be. Check out whether a guitard or keybored player would be able to take on the lead part.
You never know - you may not need a singer at all. Think of all the headaches the band could be spared in that department!! :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='782551' date='Mar 22 2010, 03:29 PM']Apologies if this is jumping the gun a bit but you didn't say what sort of line-up it will be.[/quote]
We don't know at this point - it's a pretty casual affair mainly just to get all of us over the hump of never having played with people.

So far there's just a guitarist, a drummer and moi.

But your melody suggestion did give me an idea. If I vary my fills/turnarounds/patterns etc. depending on their location in the tune then it might help me remember (for example) which verse I'm in. :)

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Doddy' post='782555' date='Mar 22 2010, 03:46 PM']Are you sure that none of you can sing,or are at least willing to give it a
try?[/quote]
Not sure - I'm due to ask the question asap. But I'm trying to prepare for everything here - it's all a little scary when you've never done it before and are unsure of even your own abilities.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='782557' date='Mar 22 2010, 03:55 PM']would it be an idea to all play along to a CD, do that a couple of times and then play all play without it . I remember doing that with a few bands[/quote]
That could be cool to get rolling with - nice suggestion. Thank you. I'll pass that on as well and make sure I have some tech available for the job.

If all else fails,just jump in and have a go at singing yourself.
The first time I ever took lead vocals was on a gig when someone requested
a song that we could play,but only I knew all the words to.So I just did it and
it went fine.

Hahaha I don't think I have much of a voice but the big problem there would be I just can not open my mouth and play at the same time. I am starting to work on that but it could be a while before I can even manage a few backing vocals.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='782581' date='Mar 22 2010, 05:13 PM']Embrace instrumentalism, just like a guitarist can be replaced by a distortion and an octave pedal, a singer can be replace be some nice melodies and expressive playing[/quote]

... and some sharp suits, NHS Specs & a bit of interpretive dance:

I find I rely on the vocals for cues - probably much more than I should.

Try singing along in your head, I found this a great help when trying to remember the lengths of the changes in Led Zep's "Rock & Roll".

Pete.