Why become a member? ×

Custom Built Bass

dougal

[quote name='Wil' post='786806' date='Mar 26 2010, 12:59 PM']All I can add is IMO, Barts really, really suck.

They suck hard.

In terms of sucking, they are the lamprays of the pickup world.[/quote]

Depends what they're in. My old Pedulla sounded great and my current Sei does too.

• 6 months later...

A happy ending :-)

It's now got a set of GEMMs in it from [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/"]Wizard Pick-ups[/url].

Attached is a recording, straight into the desk. I think it sounds much better.

Andy said it was almost certainly because the wooden pickup covers were getting in the way, and digging out the originals was too hard, so we're back into black plastic but it looks pretty good.

Thanks everyone for their input. Enjoy the attachement.

sounds nice.

the wooden cover could "get in the way" only if wood would shield the magnetic signal from the pickups.
and wood doesnt do that.

at least thats what i think.
maybe the wooden covers were too thick, and the actual pickups were too far from the strings. but then the bass would have had a very weak signal...

anyway, EMGs seem to solve the problem now.

keep the soundclips coming. maybe you can record through some virtual amp or something ?

[quote name='green' post='976157' date='Oct 3 2010, 05:09 PM']maybe the wooden covers were too thick, and the actual pickups were too far from the strings. but then the bass would have had a very weak signal...[/quote]

Yes, that's as Andy explained it. The PUPs were low output to begin with, and forced to be too far away from the strings because of the thickness of the covers.