Why become a member? ×

Ive got my 9

ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='95265' date='Nov 27 2007, 07:35 PM']Pillow laid down on the floor in the bedroom.
Our relationship is going well.[/quote]

LOL - still at the "first love" phase...

Explains why Jim was too busy to refinish my Musicmaster - cos he was too busy building that beast!

Hi ARGH

it was a member of this sites synaesthesia.

Thats right a seven string LEFT HANDED bass that has to b a rare bird.

it was a Conkin groove tools and i really liked it. My band play in drop C so i think i could do with a low F# string.

looking at yours has got me gassing.

Those Conklin Groove Tools basses have to be THE way into 7 strings...

They're well built, sound great, look good and don't cost a fortune.... Oh yeah, and they're not made anymore, so if you've got a chance to get one (especially left handed) seriously consider it !!

I bought mine for US$800 on eBay about 5 years ago. As I've had the Sei 7 made, I had the Conklin it de-fretted & ramped by Mr.Shuker.

Great OG,THANKYOU for asking.

Did its first full set with it on Saturday,with numerous mistakes,because its a very very difficult instrument to play compared to the common 4,but when you get the 'feel' right...MAN it pays back a thousandfold. It actually makes me play less onstage (which in most laymans eyes is a good thing) which is VERY counter to the pervading attitudes that seem to run along the lines of "More strings,must mean he plays a million notes all the time".....

Its quite Dichotomizing,all the choice.....the more of it...and Im finding the 'right' notes and texture,with fewer notes and less movement,who said positional playing was the death of fluidity was an buffoon.

Im still thinking in vertical terms fretboardwise rather than horizontal,but thats lessening I feel.

Its a positive talking point amongst the musicians around here (WOW factor aside). With questions ranging from the obvious 'Why?' to "Well....what cant it do?" to "Who made that?" All this puts Jim Fleeting in a very good light,because of the monumental step in instrument making technology in this country,I guess to paraphrase another poster on another site "He has the edge on the others because he's done it first".

Currant party trick is doing Buckingham's guitar part in Fleetwood Macs "Go your own way". Simple 4 chords,but its fun playing another instruments part on another instrument. My next thing is to crack Philip Glass's Metamorphosis Piano pieces,transcribing them onto the 9. Hand strength is a factor though,need to work on that,Its VERY upright in strength terms.

And Yes I am Tapping on it every now and then.

[quote name='ARGH' post='102499' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:13 AM']Great OG,THANKYOU for asking.

Did its first full set with it on Saturday,with numerous mistakes,because its a very very difficult instrument to play compared to the common 4,but when you get the 'feel' right...MAN it pays back a thousandfold. It actually makes me play less onstage (which in most laymans eyes is a good thing) which is VERY counter to the pervading attitudes that seem to run along the lines of "More strings,must mean he plays a million notes all the time".....

Its quite Dichotomizing,all the choice.....the more of it...and Im finding the 'right' notes and texture,with fewer notes and less movement,who said positional playing was the death of fluidity was an buffoon.

Im still thinking in vertical terms fretboardwise rather than horizontal,but thats lessening I feel.

Its a positive talking point amongst the musicians around here (WOW factor aside). With questions ranging from the obvious 'Why?' to "Well....what cant it do?" to "Who made that?" All this puts Jim Fleeting in a very good light,because of the monumental step in instrument making technology in this country,I guess to paraphrase another poster on another site "He has the edge on the others because he's done it first".

Currant party trick is doing Buckingham's guitar part in Fleetwood Macs "Go your own way". Simple 4 chords,but its fun playing another instruments part on another instrument. My next thing is to crack Philip Glass's Metamorphosis Piano pieces,transcribing them onto the 9. Hand strength is a factor though,need to work on that,Its VERY upright in strength terms.

And Yes I am Tapping on it every now and then.[/quote]

Well after all the hoo-hah that sounds like a very positive experience though you do look a tad confused in the picture :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='102613' date='Dec 11 2007, 11:38 AM']Well as long as you can play Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl on it you'll be fine :)[/quote]

Just dont ask me to play 'Day tripper' at the moment....for a week or two at least

Ive never played a stick,But I have an upright,and thats the closest thing Ive got to the stamina needed for this Bass.

On the first side of things ,I wish I had gone 5 or 6 string years ago (I should have stuck with it) because low Ds and Cs are total meat and veg now.

p.s. Women find it pleasurable when I play low F sharps and Gs,and that sub E saves chat up time....

[quote name='ARGH' post='102643' date='Dec 11 2007, 12:42 PM']Just dont ask me to play 'Day tripper' at the moment....for a week or two at least

Ive never played a stick,But I have an upright,and thats the closest thing Ive got to the stamina needed for this Bass.

On the first side of things ,I wish I had gone 5 or 6 string years ago (I should have stuck with it) because low Ds and Cs are total meat and veg now.

p.s. Women find it pleasurable when I play low F sharps and Gs,and that sub E saves chat up time....[/quote]

G's eh? fnar fnar

[quote name='ARGH' post='102704' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:10 PM']Yeah female barstaff's eyes crossed when I took it wireless and went walkabout....

Got asked if I could do that again when the pub was cleared after closing time.....best place was beside the mixing desk,and stageside bar.[/quote]

Blige!!

STOP PRESS! HOT NEWS!
"BASS PLAYER PULLS WOMAN AT GIG"

may be a good selling point ... :)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest TheBigBeefChief

I sometimes have some extreme views on stuff, but even I can't fathom why people would care how many strings your playing on. Or even if it should be described as a bass or not. I mean, who cares?

Do people listen to a peice of music and then have to check what it was played on before they say they like it or not? I should think not.

Personally, I see an instrument as a tool and I judge it by its output.

If it sounds good on 9 strings, then the instrument justifies its construction.

Personally, I'm not into bass as a solo instrument and I'm pretty sure I'd never even want a 5, but fair play if you can master something with 9 strings.

As long as you don't start knocking any Jazz out on it, I think its kinda cool in a perverse way.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='OldGit' post='118824' date='Jan 11 2008, 08:12 PM']Nah
You can't play Jazz on a 9 string ..

:)[/quote]

Thats it, I'm ordering one.

[quote name='ARGH' post='118801' date='Jan 11 2008, 07:22 PM']Just experienced my first pangs of 'attitude' towards my instrument.

From a guitarist?

Weird huh?

putting it down to jealousy[/quote]

Envy you mean ...

It will be to do with size, and the attention you're getting, I expect ...

Suggest he gets one of those light up scratch plate things or a self tuning Les Paul

Arf arf arf