Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

SFT will be better than the Sparkle Drive (a Tube Screamer with a blend) especially if you're using it as an amp sim or hair sim :)

Personally the SFT is the most tube amp like pedal around, I used one in the studio for my dirty tone and it so responsive, it might take a little getting use to depending on your technique but you need to treat it like the bassists in the 70's treated their tube amps.

The SFT can be 100% clean with the gain rolled off and still has plenty of volume on tap so you can just use it as a 2 band eq with that ampegy sound.

Like I say just bare in mind it's design is to be as amp like as possible even down the eq so if you want to increase bass but it's getting muddy cranking the bass knob, reduce the treble all the controls are very interactive.

Hope this helps

I can also give you a list of other hair sounding pedals that are better than the Sparkle Drive :rolleyes:

The BB has plenty of low end and a bass EQ control that can boost it if necessary. I think this is better than having a tubescreamer that drops lows and trying to bring back some of that low end via a blend control which is what the Sparkle Drive does.

Just been A/B-ing my SFT and BB some more with a P-Bass and flats. Really hard to pick a winner. I prefer the slightly more natural sounding breakup of the SFT but I like the way the BB doesn't squash the sound so much, letting your playing dynamics come through better.

I've been playing through these pedals a lot over the past couple of days and the SFT is winning me over. It has a low-mid fatness that just sounds great with a P-Bass and flats for blues and classic rock. I say just get it!

You can buy direct from the manufacturer ([url="http://www.catalinbread.com/products.php"]http://www.catalinbread.com/products.php[/url]), if so I recommend paying the extra on priority shipping as mine took 6 weeks to arrive with the cheaper option!

• 3 weeks later...

very interesting thread this.

I've been seriously looking at an SFT for more subtle crunch, drive and OD end of things to compliment the full-on fuzzed-up loonacy I use a Woolly Mammoth for.

Like the OP, I just can't get excited about the Sansamp and VT stuff. I was up for a Pickle Pie B; but not sure it can do the subtle hair end of things and the dynamics like the SFT appears to. BTW I do want the full-on dirt end of the SFT too as this seems more controllable like a rapier than the sledgehammer distortion of the Woolly Mammoth.

Seems like the SFT is the one to go for. Anyone got any more comments/thoughts fr me?

So Tayste, you might be getting another PM from me soon...hope that's OK!

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='andyjingram' post='807899' date='Apr 16 2010, 12:38 AM']Well unfortunately I can't offer much on the SFT from experience, but the clips on their site and youtube are pretty useful. Along with the other pedals I mentioned earlier, I was also looking at the Way Huge Pork Loin to do a similar job, but couldn't find anywhere to try one out. That said, I bought an SFT without trying thanks to the endorsements enclosed in this thread, so there you go![/quote]

reckon I'll be doing the same shortly and shelling out blind for an SFT.
it's so frustrating not having many outlets in UK where you can actually try all this great US gear under one roof, or even just a few of them.
but then I bet our cousins across the water are all saying the same about some great UK gear too.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='808544' date='Apr 16 2010, 04:02 PM']Well, I'm off for a gun shooting-steak munching-'godammit' saying boys day out tomorrow! I'll ask one of the guys whether he's had any trouble getting any British gear.

There was something quite frustrating about calling my parents to see if they had picked up my parcel within the six week postage period I had paid so much for, when I was now in a situation where I could have had it sent here for free in a couple of days, but then life seems to like those little curve balls! Anyhow, I think I said earlier on, much agreement on the the lack of availability in the UK. I thought that with more than the average days pay to spend on a pedal I'd have a luxury time trying the best, listening my hardest to get exactly what I wanted from some great options, and maybe not getting sneers from the shop assistant too! Instead, I found exactly one place I could try exactly one of the pedals I was interested in- and it was far enough away that my decision would have been biased by the 'Well, I've come this far already' factor. I understand the economic reasons for not stocking what are effectively specialty pedals, but my brain still has to close one of my eyes when it thinks that there doesn't seem to be [i]anywhere[/i] in the country with more than one 'mainstream boutique' pedal in the shop. I might even see that as a great business opening, if I weren't so busy being a loser muso! :)[/quote]

I recognise those googlies and curve balls and I still don't have a neat cover drive to answer them with.

So did it take six weeks for your SFT to arrive and was that from Tone Factor or somewhere else?

Anyway hope the huntin', shootin' 'n' fishin' trip goes well.

I reckon it's best to keep them good ole boys on the friendly side!
If there was even a possibility of talking FX pedals, I'm guessing that you're staying with Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Still GASing for an SFT....pardon the pun, but I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one in next few days.