Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

vox standard build (the green machine)

LukeFRC

Right not sure if this should go here but the 'build diarys' bit just seems to be about sukers or stukers or summit.

I have a body from an old vox standard bass from the 80's. Its a nice lump of 2 piece something. Weighs a ton.

routed for P style pups. Volume, tone and coil tap holes. and side mounted jack. The bridge holes are really close to the pup too, not as far back down the body as you would expect.
Originaly it had a long scale 24 fret neck. The guy who gave me this said if i put a standard fender style neck on and move the bridge back it would be fine. im not sure ?

what do yo u guys think i should do with it? im thinking fretless.
(and where does one pick up old bass necks?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='85193' date='Nov 8 2007, 12:02 AM']Right not sure if this should go here but the 'build diarys' bit just seems to be about sukers or stukers or summit.

I have a body from an old vox standard bass from the 80's. Its a nice lump of 2 piece something. Weighs a ton.

routed for P style pups. Volume, tone and coil tap holes. and side mounted jack. The bridge holes are really close to the pup too, not as far back down the body as you would expect.
Originaly it had a long scale 24 fret neck. The guy who gave me this said if i put a standard fender style neck on and move the bridge back it would be fine. im not sure ?

what do yo u guys think i should do with it? im thinking fretless.
(and where does one pick up old bass necks?[/quote]

If you're building it, it should be in the Build Diaries. Don't be put off by all the Shuker related noise, personally I find those threads rather boring and I'd rather read about the man in his shed/spare room on a building oddysey. My threads have been quiet of late due to illness (tonsilitis - fun) but I'm hoping to get back on the building trail soon.

Regarding the neck, as long as you can get 34" back from the nut (assuming you're using a standard Fender P or J neck or equivalent) to the saddles of the bridge then you'll be fine. Get the measuring tape out. This tool will help: [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/fret_calculator.php"]http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/fret_calculator.php[/url]

If that were mine, I'd be looking for a Status graphite P neck, some Schaller hardware and a Wizard or SD pup with an SD active circuit in the back ( I presume its a large triangular rout at the rear?).....

However thats just my (wanna build, next project) kinda views.....

trawl fleebay for 2nd hand necks or better still order exactly what you want form Warmoth...... (lined fretless 2-a-side P neck would be kinda cute!)

:)

Oh and yes keep us updated with what you do, as its potnetially a cracking build diary!

• 8 months later...

right question time

1: How is best to strip the finish off? I would have thought a chemical paint stripper but a lot of folk on here seem to be sanding bodies. What do you recomend?

2: the body is routed for a P pickup. Now my guess work (as in i dont have the neck yet) is that for a standard fender style neck the P pickup is 2cm further back than my p bass.
I was thinking Jazz pups and routing two new holes but how far from the bridge would a MM style pup go as if i can recycle the hole it would be great!

[url="http://pulvoweb.chez-alice.fr/mavox/voxstandard.html"]http://pulvoweb.chez-alice.fr/mavox/voxstandard.html[/url] thats what the body was like originaly

If you're willing to get the router out then you can put in anything you like. If you're not happy with the position and you're going to refinish the body a solid colour, rout it out square and glue a filler of wood in the hole, plane/sand flush then rout wherever you like.

As for stripping, I've only ever sanded. Hard work, time consuming, but strangely theraputic...

update.... so i have a cheap neck on the way

and started stripping the body, it seems to have about 3/4 of a milimeter of varnish on it! its really thick. Paint stripper is lifting most of it with a bet of scraping and then i think i will sand the last paint layer off to save scratching the wood. (Ive already had a wee accident with a chisel. remeber boys and girls scrape with something blunt....
it also looks to be a one piece body which is quite nice, think it looks like maple (way too heavy for basswood)
pictures some time.

will start getting a wee shopping list of things i need.

Pups, bridge, and machine heads being the main things, but trying to do things fairly cheaply so will be keeping eyes open in the sale bit of the site.

Luke

thanks SJA!

So i currently have a standard 34 in (864 mm) scale neck i just got off budget bassist.

The routing for the P pup is therefore too far back on the body. the neck end of it being aproxamatly 725mm from the nut.

Now it would be nice to be able to use some of this rout for new pups but for the life of me cant find anywhere on net which pists standard pup positions. I guess a Jazz bridge pup is quite a bit further back. but what about stingrays?
can someone tell me where you would pup a stingray pup?

please!

I've just found a clipping of an article on the stingray from Guitar mag, that has a measurement I used for reference when I modded my Dearmond with an MM pickup-

"the centre of the neck facing coil is 764.5mm from the fingerboard side of the nut".

it fits like a glove. :)

its going to be a fretless. I was just going to put woodfiller in the holes where the frets are now but just found a load of different very thin vaneers of wood at one of my jobs i can use. Im thinking a dark wood so i can see it but from a distance it looks unlined with possibly the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th etc in a lighter colour.

:huh:

pup arrived, neck and bridge here. Just missing machineheads and electrical gubbins.
Screwed the neck on today and will begin to work out where to put things.
then make holes for things.
The body is stripped down and im thinking will be refinished in british racing green. Have to learn how to paint a guitar now!
photos soon.