Why become a member? ×

Pigeon Detectives at Rock City

Steve_nottm

Went to see the Pigeon Detectives at Rock City (Nottingham) last night. Good gig, but spoilt for me by the bass player, after every single song, playing each open string to check he was still in tune.

Through the P.A, at full volume, after EVERY song.

Am I a bit O.C.D or would this rile everyone else as well?

[quote name='Buzz' post='84978' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:28 PM']What a prat, there's no need for it, specially not from a band that are doing well. I'm sure he could afford something to use.[/quote]

there is no excuse these days when you can pick up a Behringer tuner stompbox for about the same price as a set of roundwounds...

[quote name='Buzz' post='84978' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:28 PM']What a prat, there's no need for it, specially not from a band that are doing well. I'm sure he could afford something to use.[/quote]

Calm down! Calm down! I work for the Pigeons as their sound man and was slightly surprised to see this come up as a thread.

Dave the bass player doesn't have the tuner inline to the amp as he gets concerned about the singer stamping on it by mistake and muting everything. They're energetic enough without the sound being compromised any further, but I'll come up with a silent tuning concept just to keep all of you happy!

On the plus side did anyone actually enjoy the gig?

[quote name='AndyHawkins' post='84997' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:47 PM']Calm down! Calm down! I work for the Pigeons as their sound man and was slightly surprised to see this come up as a thread.

Dave the bass player doesn't have the tuner inline to the amp as he gets concerned about the singer stamping on it by mistake and muting everything. They're energetic enough without the sound being compromised any further, but I'll come up with a silent tuning concept just to keep all of you happy!

On the plus side did anyone actually enjoy the gig?[/quote]

No offence, but I really doubt that is a valid reason when I can think of countless other bands a whole load more energetic who would be fifty times as professional.

If he's that successful surely he ought to buy a bass that stays in tune throughout a gig?

I think they are just indie fodder anyway.

Andy H,

Couldn't you just be ready with your finger over the mute button on the desk at he end of every song?

I did the sound at Rock City about 20 years ago for Desmond Decker. End of every song he took a big bow and shoved his mike right in his vocal wedge - the mte button worked a trick lol

AndyH,

Sorry to set this one running! Yup enjoyed the gig, lots of energy, extremely tight and good sound (and not just saying that because you're here....oh no). Felt like a slightly short set but I put this down to them being a young band with only one album of material that the audience would know, and actually I think a shorter set filled with the known songs is a better bet than a longer one with lots of new stuff. Certainly at this stage and at that venue.

The tuning thing only bugged me as it's something I don't do, and don't like to hear. It's not a major problem but did detract a tiny bit for me. I sort of take on board what you say about the singer stepping on a pedal as he does bound around a lot. I did wonder if it really was a tuning thing or just something he does in the spaces between the songs as he wasn't tuning, just sort of checking.

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='85039' date='Nov 7 2007, 06:09 PM']The tuning thing only bugged me as it's something I don't do, and don't like to hear. It's not a major problem but did detract a tiny bit for me. I sort of take on board what you say about the singer stepping on a pedal as he does bound around a lot. I did wonder if it really was a tuning thing or just something he does in the spaces between the songs as he wasn't tuning, just sort of checking.[/quote]

I have to say it would have really bugged me. I hate to see that, even with a pub band. Mind you, our guitarist not only tunes noisily between songs - he starts practising riffs from whatever's next in the set list!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='85039' date='Nov 7 2007, 06:09 PM']AndyH,

Sorry to set this one running! Yup enjoyed the gig, lots of energy, extremely tight and good sound (and not just saying that because you're here....oh no). Felt like a slightly short set but I put this down to them being a young band with only one album of material that the audience would know, and actually I think a shorter set filled with the known songs is a better bet than a longer one with lots of new stuff. Certainly at this stage and at that venue.

The tuning thing only bugged me as it's something I don't do, and don't like to hear. It's not a major problem but did detract a tiny bit for me. I sort of take on board what you say about the singer stepping on a pedal as he does bound around a lot. I did wonder if it really was a tuning thing or just something he does in the spaces between the songs as he wasn't tuning, just sort of checking.[/quote]

Hi everybody been offline for a couple of days doing more gigs on the never ending tour. Steve, thanks for the remarks regarding the sound it's always nice to know what people think. The shortness of the set is, as you rightly say, down to a lack of material. It's still nearly an hour which is about as much as you could expect from a band at this stage in their careers, and I think it's also true to say that everybody has been surprised at how quickly the band have shot up success-wise.

As far as the issue with the bass goes, in all honesty it annoys me too. I play bass myself (the main reason I joined the board in the first place) and it's just a case of wiring the rig slightly differently. He is going into a Boss TU-2 up there and is properly checking his tuning (for anybody who thought he was tuning by ear) it's just wired from the tuner out jack from his amp instead of being inline with his guitar. Obviously with a quick re-wire it's totally possible to have silent tuning. It's just one of those small things that we'd not even realised was annoying the crowds, so in all fairness, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Still back to work (at Wolves Civic hall today), with Dream Theater playing upstairs. I may just have to go and have a smeaky look...