Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squier woods

tom1946

Morning all.

I'm still having trouble finding a bass That is light to wear, appeals to me and has some grunt low down. I suppose a Precision is the ideal but they all seem to weigh circa 9-10 lbs wich is still heavy for me.

Sooo if I bought a Squier made of cheap wood ie' basswood or Agathis is that lighter? Then if I bought the 'right' bits to make it a proper P bass would it work?
I really don't know where to turn now.
Yes I could get one made but at my age I'd probably be dead before it was ready due to the time some of them need to make it.

So what do you think? should I make one out of a squier?

How about giving Prosebass a ring?

Warmoth necks are quite heavy, they do variations on Fender style bodies though.
If you really need a Precision they do a Dinky version. They also do a chambered Jazz body. Something lke that in Ash would probably be quite light.
I'd be tempted to put a Squier/Mighty Mite neck on one of those though, the Warmoth i owned had quite a heavy neck due to the steel reinforcement rods. Was a great neck though.

It was also a Pau Ferro neck and board so that will have contributed to the weight

My Squire VM Jazz is quite a heavy bugger Tom, as were the other 2 I tried. The body is soft maple. I have had a black Affinity P bass and found that quite light and it sounded suprisingly good. They are supposed to have an alder body and it was well made. On reflection, I should have kept it and upgraded it.

Jez

Pretty much answers my questions, Thanks. I bought one of these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Std-special-P-bass-guitar-WN-New-boxed_W0QQitemZ330412964291QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4cee25b9c3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Std-sp...=item4cee25b9c3[/url]

It is pretty light and uninspiring but with upgrades?

fud for thought

Edited by tom1946

Should have read this better - thought you were looking for a lightweight P bass.

The problem can sometimes be balance also. I once had a Warwick Corvette Ash standard that weighed about 8lbs. Trouble is it had some neck dive and didn't feel as comfortable on a long gig as my current Stingray which is closer to 10lbs but has excellent balance. If you've got some cash the Status Streamline is about 7lbs and balances perfectly - I can go for hours with this one without any problem. With the 18V pre it can certainly shift some air compared to a P bass.

Edited by martthebass