Why become a member? ×

Why aren't there any funk/disco pub bands?

iconic

Am I alone in this...just been down the pub reading the Essex Cronicle...turned to the live music and over the weekend there are oodles of punk bands, grunge, garage indie, indie/garage/punk/grunge and everything else between and of course folk...but not funk, disco or jazz even...

...strange thing is a funk thread on here gets a great response, turn on most any radio on a car and it's tuned to a pop channel, lots of people I know love Chic, funk or anything dancy...so why no funk pub bands?

Check out Soul Technique. A band from Newcastle releasing thier debut EP this Saturday. They play live funk/soul/hip hop, all original material.

Their stuff can be heard on www.myspace.com/soultechniqueofficial.
I agree, there should be more funk bands out there. However, this country centres around safe, marketable repetitive indie as it sells. A sad case of affairs but it seems to be true.

Dan

Iconic...... you missed my band..... Hot Sauce at the Dog and Partridge near Orsett last week..... all the disco and funk you can shake a stick at....
[url="http://www.myspace.com/hotsaucedisco"]Hot sauce on Myspace[/url]

We are on Facebook too ;o)

I'll send you some dates for the near future if you're interested

J

PS.... sample set list below -

Superfly
Couldn't Get It Right
Long Train Running
Turn On, Tune In, Cop Out
Living For The City
I Like It
Little L
Cosmic Girl
Play That Funky Music
Ladies Night
Love Me Sexy
You Should Be Dancin'
Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Theme From Starskey & Hutch
Superstition
Disco Inferno
Car Wash
Boogie Nights
Move On Up
Don't Know What It Is But It Sure Feels Funky
Cold Sweat
Sex Machine
I wish

Edited by crez5150

Because its not as popular...as Dan said, MOST pub goers want to hear rock/pop...and why not, if its a good band so do i...there are lots of jazz acts/nights around depending on the city/town....

to be honest there are ENDLESS rock/indie bands out there because it really is the sound of british pub culture...

Edited by bubinga5

Because its not as popular...as Dan said, MOST pub goers want to hear rock/pop...and why not, if its a good band so do i...there are lots of jazz acts/nights around depending on the city/town....

to be honest there are ENDLESS rock/indie bands out there because it really is the sounds of british pub culture...

Well I'm trying !

We have tried to change the complete set for this year from soul based to more 70's funk based .

Usual things apply , logistics , trying to get 10 people together is always a headache.

Plus depending on what stuff your doing it ain't necessarily the easiest of stuff to play to get to sound right.

I'll keep you posted :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='772164' date='Mar 11 2010, 09:49 PM']I wouldn't say it's not as popular..... it's just that there are soooooooo many bands doing punk, indie, pub rock.......[/quote]
i would say there are more people in the UK listening to rock than funk..IMHO

I think it's probably a lot easier for bands to play good rock music than it is to play funk or jazz well as a band.
That's not a bad thing, just getting a good funk or jazz sound is a difficult thing to do in a pub.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='772202' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:27 PM']I think it's probably a lot easier for bands to play good rock music than it is to play funk or jazz well as a band.
That's not a bad thing, just getting a good funk or jazz sound is a difficult thing to do in a pub.[/quote]

Hmmmm..... Why is it easier...... Rock music easier to play than Disco or Funk? Maybe.....

I've tried to get together a band to do it many times but I just can't get the musicians around here, even just a basic drums/bass/guitar/keyboards/vocals setup.

What I want to do is 1970s funk/disco like Chic, Sister Sledge, Rose Royce etc. but I've found that drummers and guitarists in particular who are up to it are virtually impossible to find. Rock and Indie is so popular because it's relatively easy to play.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='772202' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:27 PM']I think it's probably a lot easier for bands to play good rock music than it is to play funk or jazz well as a band.
That's not a bad thing, just getting a good funk or jazz sound is a difficult thing to do in a pub.[/quote]This maybe depends on the band...they are no easier/harder than each other if you play and are good at that genre.....some funk is easier to play than some rock..ive played some Zep or Billy Cox and Jimi H.. and its way harder remembering the lines etc.. (although some Zep is damn funky)...if you naturally play funk its easy, but if its not your bag or you dont have the feel it may be harder...

I was in a Reggae band and found it hard...but i dont listen to Reggae so that prob didnt help...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='OldGit' post='772208' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:33 PM']"Jay 'Lurve Machine' Cresswell"

:)

A lot of the numbers in your set list are common in pub bands ...[/quote]

Indeed .... that's just some of them...... we do a great segway of Groove is in the heart and Last night a DJ saved My life with all of the samples played in...

don't diss the Lurve Machine!

[quote name='bubinga5' post='772214' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:36 PM']This maybe depends on the band...they are no easier/harder than each other if you play and are good at that genre.....some funk is easier to play than some rock..ive played some Zep and its way harder remembering the lines etc.. (although some Zep is damn funky)...if you naturally play funk its easy, but if its not your bag or you dont have the feel it may be harder...

I was in a Reggae band and found it hard...but i dont listen to Reggae so that prob didnt help...[/quote]

We chuck 'The Ocean' in by Zep during Sex Machine..... thats a damn funky tune

That's not a bad thing, just getting a good funk or jazz sound is a difficult thing to do in a pub.[/quote]

You beat me to it. One of my greatest frustrations is playing with musicians who don't even understand basics like bars and beats in a bar. Trying to communicate something to our drummer who can't think much beyond basic 4/4 is like trying to teach a pig to yodel, yet he does a surprisingly good job of not too complicated rock and pop music.

[quote name='crez5150' post='772216' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:37 PM']Indeed .... that's just some of them...... we do a great segway of Groove is in the heart and Last night a DJ saved My life with all of the samples played in...

don't diss the Lurve Machine![/quote]

Oh no Diss intended! More like Re-spect!