Why become a member? ×

Help!

benebass

Bought a Status Groove bass through a postal deal & there's really dodgy-looking ding on the neck bolt area - it looks like someone's tried to shove a screwdriver through the finish. Here's a pic: -

[attachment=44579:IMGP1209.JPG]

The neck join itself seems solid, but the damage looks like it's gone through the finish & into the wood (doesn't like there's crack into the bolt holes themselves though). Thing is, I really like the bass & it seems OK apart from that, so would like to hang on to it if it's not likely to be a serious problem. Is it something to worry about and/or is there a simple way to fix it (e.g. use glue to strengthen it).

Cheers,

B.

ok the seller was bad, but don't worry fella ANY wood can be repaired, I have seen headstock snapped off and glued back stronger than before. Of course is going to cost you cash but take it to a reputable luthier and he will work magic on it.

Oh and if the seller is local go kick his ass!

Thanks for the replies - I've contacted the seller so we'll see what they say. It wasn't a Basschat deal by the way...

Appreciate the advice - initially I didn't think it was structural either, but needed a second opinion really. It's a nice bass as it is & reckon it'll be a cracker with a bit of work & a set up.

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='771083' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:17 PM']99.9% that's not structural - your neck won't fall off.

It's in a fairly inconspicuous place, I'd run some superglue into it to make sure the lacquer doesn't flake, and forget about it.

Jon.[/quote]
Id agree...itll be fine...oh....and...
plus the picture looks like one of those Dr Who monsters!!!!!!...you know, the ones who live in fat guy costumes...?...!...??...no?...
it just me that innit?? :) ?
edit: or some type of pokemon thing....eh....eh.....??
I'll get me coat....

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='771127' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:50 PM']Id agree...itll be fine...oh....and...
plus the picture looks like one of those Dr Who monsters!!!!!!...you know, the ones who live in fat guy costumes...?...!...??...no?...
it just me that innit?? :) ?
edit: or some type of pokemon thing....eh....eh.....??
I'll get me coat....[/quote]

Don't watch Dr. Who, but do you mean these things?

B.

[quote name='benebass' post='771132' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:55 PM']Don't watch Dr. Who, but do you mean these things?

B.[/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol:
well I did mean those things that pretended to be the primeminister/cabinet/senior staff ect in an episode I saw. they had big zips on their "body suits". but THATS much better!!!
is that Dr Who as well?
good call!
OOPPS..Do you know, Ive just realised what Ive done here.... guitars not Dr Who....
I mean It, your guitar will be ok, with that type of "damage"Ive seen much worse on much older guitars....It'll be cool... superglue will make it tough, if you want to take the neck off in the future for any reason, but Ive never need to with any Bass btw....ever

Edited by witterth

[quote name='benebass' post='771006' date='Mar 10 2010, 10:15 PM']Bought a Status Groove bass through a postal deal & there's really dodgy-looking ding on the neck bolt area - it looks like someone's tried to shove a screwdriver through the finish.[/quote]

Looks to me like someone started trying to move a strap button, thought better of it when the finish started to crack & left it. It won't weaken anything but yeah, I'd run s'glue into the crack & forget it.