Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 2020?

MuseMatt

I'm parting with my Van der End Jazz, and I just got offered a Rickenbacker 2020 to trade with.

I play mostly rock music. This thing is supposedly quite rare, but I have no idea about the sound. What do you think?

Edited by MuseMatt

Never heard or seen those but Rickenbacker is always good in my experience. They have kept fairly exclusive and the quality always seems high.No idea how much a 2020 is worth but it's a rare Rickenbacker so I would have thought you'd do alright out of it. Google reveals it to be a bolt on neck apparently. There seems to be a bit of interest in them

The one in the picture has been seriously modified. The pups don't look original, and these were never produced with a pickguard.

They were introduced in the late 1980's as a 'budget' Ric....never sold in many quantaties, and are not very sought after today.

One in super condition recently didn't shift on E-bay, priced at only £700.

One that has been, dare I say it from the pictures, a little butchered, would obviously be worth far less.

Hope this helps!

Mani played a 3000 which was very similar.

Best bet is to check out the Rickresource forum for more info. Jeff Rath on there modifies Rics from 4 to 5 strings and I'm sure he's had a few of these

More student range than the 4000 series, aimed at beginners. I'm sure that there was a 2080 Glen Frey bass similar to this one

[quote name='MythSte' post='764640' date='Mar 5 2010, 12:20 AM']I don't know much, If anything about either bass im afraid - But i definitely think your bass is a whole lot nicer. That rickenbacker doesn't look all that, Don't be tempted by the name![/quote]

I agree with MythSte.

Is there any particular reason you want to get rid of the Van der End Jazz?