Why become a member? ×

2x12 guidance?

slazman

This may have been asked before and I apologise if I am dragging something up that searching threads may answer!

I am looking for a combo and have a basic question ... should I go for 1, 2 or 4 speakers. Are there relative merits to each of these? Any guidance from more experienced players would be most appreciated.

If I get an answer that relates I can then narrow down the search.

(A second question is why does nothing come up in amps & cabs marketplace in the East Midlands ... but that is just frustration on my part!)

Edited by slazman

[quote name='slazman' post='758856' date='Feb 27 2010, 08:21 AM']This may have been asked before and I apologise if I am dragging something up that searching threads may answer!

I am looking for a combo and have a basic question ... should I go for 1, 2 or 4 speakers. Are there relative merits to each of these? Any guidance from more experienced players would be most appreciated.

If I get an answer that relates I can then narrow down the search.

(A second question is why does nothing come up in amps & cabs marketplace in the East Midlands ... but that is just frustration on my part!)[/quote]

I have always been a 4x10 kind of guy, I loved the more punky treble tone you get. But I recently swooped to a 2x12, this is a very good compromise, but in a far more manageable size. All depends on what you are willing/able to carry around.

Given that the main point of a combo is convenience/portability, the most common route is for either 1x12,1x15 or 2x10 inch speakers.
Personally would probably go for a 2x10 - most speaker area etc, but it depends on what sound you like / amp preferences etc.

Cant see the point of a 4x10 combo really myself - far easier to get a seperate cab and amp head.
And your back will appreciate it too.

[quote name='gary mac' post='758859' date='Feb 27 2010, 08:43 AM']I guess it very much depends on what sound you are trying to achieve and style/genre of music that you are playing.

Do you need an all rounder that would be comfortable in any situation.

Give us a few more details.

All the best Gary[/quote]

I like to hear my my G&L L2000 growl and punch out the sound which fits the sort of music we are playing at the moment so that is what I am trying to achieve.

That said in the future I also want to get another bass for jazz which may mean a second combo.

I also take on board the comments about weight & portability so I guess it is down to 1 or 2.

Thanks for the replies to date.

As said, the whole point for me, of a combo is compactness.

I'd get a 2x10 combo with a view to be able to up its output by adding another cab. This gives it flexibility and versatility.
I'd look to add another 2x10 or maybe a 15 for the louder situations.

But..people now do the same thing with lighter 12's.. They run a seperate amp into 1 or 2 1x12's and still get all in the boot of a decent car and can look to around 500w for the rig.

[quote name='JTUK' post='758910' date='Feb 27 2010, 10:08 AM']As said, the whole point for me, of a combo is compactness.

I'd get a 2x10 combo with a view to be able to up its output by adding another cab. This gives it flexibility and versatility.
I'd look to add another 2x10 or maybe a 15 for the louder situations.

But..people now do the same thing with lighter 12's.. They run a seperate amp into 1 or 2 1x12's and still get all in the boot of a decent car and can look to around 500w for the rig.[/quote]

oh yeah, I didn't read the "combo" part.
I would still get a 2x12 though. I tried a few 2x10 combos and they seemed a bit too thin sounding for me, I do play 5 string so need lots of bottom end power.

Taking the feedback on board then, it looks like 2x12 is the way to go.

However browsing around, 2x12 isn't anywhere near as common as 2x10 ..... SO ... the next question is any recommendations what I should be looking at. I want around 300w. If it is going to be a challenge I would be OK with a separate amp into a 2x12 cab.

Doesn't look likely I can get anything 2nd hand for this within my collection area so may need to look at new.

Thanks again

[quote name='slazman' post='759578' date='Feb 28 2010, 07:48 AM']However browsing around, 2x12 isn't anywhere near as common as 2x10 ..... SO ... the next question is any recommendations what I should be looking at. I want around 300w. If it is going to be a challenge I would be OK with a separate amp into a 2x12 cab.[/quote]

Most 12" Neo drivers seem to be 300W 8Ohms, which means that most Neo 2x12 cabs are 600W 4 Ohm. There are exceptions but I cant name one at the moment.

I have an EBS which I bought second-hand on this forum. I think a 2x12 will give a better sound than a pair of 1x12s - the drivers seem to work better in a bigger box.

The other factor in all of this is your budget, of course!

[quote name='slazman' post='759578' date='Feb 28 2010, 07:48 AM']Taking the feedback on board then, it looks like 2x12 is the way to go.

However browsing around, 2x12 isn't anywhere near as common as 2x10 ..... SO ... the next question is any recommendations what I should be looking at. I want around 300w. If it is going to be a challenge I would be OK with a separate amp into a 2x12 cab.

Doesn't look likely I can get anything 2nd hand for this within my collection area so may need to look at new.

Thanks again[/quote]

Matamp 2x12 built like a tank 800w 4 ohms under £400 and sound the mutts nutts

I have one in my arsenal and it really does the biz

You are welcome to try mine if you are ever in the neighbourhood

I you want to play different genres and feel you need different rigs to do that, you don't! I’d get 1 amp and several cabs. If you are favouring a 2x12 for the louder stuff and want a smaller combo for jazz then I'd suggest my way is pretty good. I'd use the same 500 watt amp and a 112 for the quiet stuff and add another cab (another 112, or in my case a 210) for the louder bands. This approach is more flexible, gives you a better upgrade path in the future, doesn’t compromise your sounds for any type of music, costs less and takes up less storage room at home.