Why become a member? ×

marcus miller

tom1946

[quote name='bubinga5' post='756710' date='Feb 25 2010, 07:53 AM']Depends on the piece of ash....and ash isnt really known as a particularly heavy wood...

The key thing here is to try before you buy...[/quote]
Most Ash used for guitars & basses these days is the lighter variety - like southern swamp ash. In the late 70s when CBS owned fender they cut costs by buying cheaper wood such as Northern 'baseball bat' ash. My '81 Ash Precision could have been used as an anchor on the QE2. Of course when I bought it new I had no idea it was heavier than it should have been as I was young and inexperienced.

Thanks for the comments, I've just bought it.It was this one on egay.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280468572472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Have seen loads of good pics and I'm sending my own courier because I'm not paying £35.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='757466' date='Feb 25 2010, 07:24 PM']I've played probably about 6 or 7 now, and no, they're not particularly heavy. Sadly they have a tendancy to be good or bad IMO. When they're bad, they really suck. When they're good, they're the best jazz basses in the price range, and punch well above their weight.[/quote]

Think I was lucky enough to get a good one then, the only basses I try that actually feel better than mine are in the £1000+ bracket.

For me it's the neck, it's wonderful.

it would weight something between 4.2 and 4.5 kg.

i had an ESP LTD surveyor (ash body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard) which was 4.4 kg.
my ash stingray weights 4.3, and my lakland 55-02 with ash body weights 4.4 kg.

sure, it depends on the tree. but i guess fender tries to keep the density and so the weight consistent.